Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOLBY DSS 200 MANUAL ?

Author Topic: DOLBY DSS 200 MANUAL ?
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2018 07:31 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to try an solve problems with a DOLBY DSS200 (before sending to my tech) This is NOT URGENT. (1) Anywhere online to download a service manual for the DSS200 (2) I'm getting NO power to the DCP Drives - the drives and both power supplies do work on other machines. IDEAS and HELP WELCOME.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-08-2018 08:17 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan - I can send you a pdf of the manual. I'm surprised it isn't in this site, maybe Dolby exerted some copyright pressure? I know Kinoton would go after sites with their manuals.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2018 09:45 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By DCP drives do you mean the RAID? There are at least two power connectors to it. They are part of the bundle of wires that come from the power supply cage. It is possible one or more came loose. If you mean the CRU dock then there is a power supply cable to it as well. They are all standard compute drive connectors and you can measure the DC voltage at them. It is possible you have an issue with the power supply cage itself or the RAID cage.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-08-2018 09:48 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, the Dolby Digital Cinema (DSS100/200/220 and cat862/745) installation and user manager doesn't give you any useful information for troubleshooting this problem. However, if you still want it, email cinemasupport [at] dolby.com, and I'm sure that they'd be happy to send it to you.

If by DCP drives you mean the RAID drives, then I guess that your problem lies either in the RAID controller card, or in the backplane of the RAID drive cage. That is what the SATA power connectors for the individual drives are hooked to. The data connectors go through that backplane to the 3Ware RAID controller card that is in one of the PCI-E slots on the motherboard.

If you can see the 3Ware RAID controller boot during the startup sequence, but it can't see any drives, then that does look like a power supply problem. If you don't see the 3Ware card booting, then it's likely that card. Either fault would result in Show Manager not being able to see any RAID.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2018 06:10 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, thanks for the Manual. And yes, everyone, the Manual is useless to solve this problem. And yes, I did mean no power to the RAID. I will follow advice given but at this time is see no lose wires. (1) Will test output from Power Supply cage

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a power supply distributor in the cage. It has to do with managing which power supply is up and and which is the backup. I had a request for one recently so I assume they do fail. Just for fun, try pulling out one supply and see if it fixes the problem. If not, put it back in the slot and pull the other supply. You can also move the supply to the other slot, etc., until you eliminate the distributor as the source of the problem. It might also reveal a bad power supply. Worth a try.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 11:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good suggestion - I once had a Doremi Showvault once that wouldn't boot up at all - orange LED on both PSUs that wouldn't go green when the power button was pressed. The fans ran for a second or two, and then all was silent.

As a last ditch attempt to try to get them back up until new PSU modules arrived, I tried pulling them and swapping them around. After some trial and error, I found that if I pulled one PSU altogether and put the remaining one in the other slot (to the one in which I originally found it), the server would boot and run.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremi 4U chassis servers (DC4 & SV4) have a known problem with the PSUs.
Turned off but powered, the power supplies still make DC power for the network ports, to turn on, and other things - +5V standby.
No fans run in this off but powered state. The supplies get hot. Sometimes a sensor says they are too hot to start making the high current voltages needed to turn the server on.
The monitoring system that beeps when a supply fails only senses the standby power, so it doesn't beep for this.
If you press the start button and see a flicker in the LEDs and maybe hear fans start then stop, followed by a normal startup in a second or two... one of the supplies is either in this hot state or has really failed, and can't make the high current voltages.
Turn off one supply at a time with the unit on, the beeper will sound and the server should stay on. If it shuts off instantly the supply still on is dead (except for standby +5V).If it does stay running turn the switch back on and the other one off when the beeping stops.
If both supplies are in the hot state - this shows as no starting after sitting a while powered up but not running - , switch them off for a few minutes and they will work again. If one is, and the other one starts the system, the fans will run and cool down both quickly.
There is no official fix. Putting a small fan where it blows into the power supplies gives enough cooling to eliminate the problem.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-16-2018 10:32 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual can be found by simply Googling for it. As with most manuals, it will not solve advanced technical issues like this.

I think you need to give us some more info on this one. For example, what do you need with "no power to the DCP drives"? Does it mean that the system does power up, but doesn't spin up the hard drives? If so, how far does it get while booting?

Like Leo already mentioned, with the information available right now, it feels more like a 3ware RAID controller failure than a problem with the PSUs.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2018 02:03 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pull the power connectors from the back of the RAID cage and check the voltage with a meter. It is the stand power connector used on and IDE type drive so the pinout should be 12V on one end to the pin next to it and 5V to the pin next to it on the other end. The + is the outer most pins and the two center are ground. It is a 4 pin connector. Like I said there is more than one power connector to the back of the RAID cage. I suspect each does a half.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: