Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Runtime error closes dcp-o-matic application

Author Topic: Runtime error closes dcp-o-matic application
Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2018 09:25 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I produce my screen slides in DCP-o-matic (version 2.12.12), using a series of JPG or PNG files, each running for 20 seconds. A 20 second voice over is also run against each graphic file, along with background audio that runs for the duration of the DCP.
If I need to add another slide I insert it where it needs to be and then change the timing of all the other slides and their audio.
To take out an unwanted slide I simply remove it and its audio and update the timing.
Since producing the DCP I have been having some problems, most notably a delay in running the audio graph.
Worse than that, I am now unable to remove a slide as once I hit the remove button I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error which reads:
“This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information. “
The program then closes down.
It effectively means that I can’t edit the DCP and must recreate it, which takes hours.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is it the version of dcp-o-matic that I am using or just most likely a corrupt graphic or audio file? Of course if it is a corrupt file, remaking the DCP would just be perpetuating the problem.
I thought I would check here first before approaching Carl.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-04-2018 03:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you reuse a DCP-o-matic project file over and over, and beyond version updates, I guess this can happen. You may first try the most current stable release (2.12.13), if that doesn't work, send the metadata.xml of that project to Carl, he may find out what's wrong in the arrangement and possibly fix it.

Note that DCP-o-matic 2.12.x has a duplicate function for projects - I suggest that from time to time, when you make changes to your project, you duplicate it and proceed from there, leaving the previous version as a backup.

- Carsten

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2018 10:51 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the metadata file and I think it's a long-standing but quite well-hidden bug in 2.12.x which is fixed in the 2.13.x branch. The bug doesn't hit many people and the fix is quite involved, so it's likely to stay in 2.13.x.

As far as I can see, the bug can't cause bad DCPs - just crashes like the one Peter is seeing here.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2018 09:00 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to get the latest version of dcp-o-matic, thanks to Carl, and it fixed the original problem. However, the program then kept shutting down whenever I tried to access a certain clip.

To cut a long story short, it turns out that the clip was corrupted (I had been sent a PDF copy and converted it on-line to a png).
Fortunately, I had a jpeg copy that the client had later sent me and after deleting the corrupt file at the source, put the new one in and added it to the project. It ran perfectly and I have created a new DCP to load to the server tonight.

I must thank Carl for his patience and kind assistance, considering that it was not his program that was at fault.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: