Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D projection with ShowVault

Author Topic: 3D projection with ShowVault
Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2018 12:32 PM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I have two 3D passive filters (DepthQ and Le-Vision) that works well with a Barco DP2K-10S and an USL CMS-2200 server. I configured the USL as RealD and I use a 3D macro on the Barco projector, depending if I use one or other filters.

The problem is with a new Dolby ShowVault server (used as backup server for server failures). Using the ShowVault on the same Barco projector, the 3D don't works. The server don't have a RealD 3D configuration as the USL, and I don't know how I can activate the 3D output on the ShowVault.

How can I activate the 3D outpuot on the ShowVault for DepthQ or Le-Vision 3D filters?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-21-2018 02:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may need to install a "base clone" in the projector to get the input and configuration files for the Doremi.
I would save a full clone as it is first, install the IMB base clone without overwriting files (this is a choice during clone installation, so you don't overwrite your site lens, screen, mcgd, etc files).
Then set up your projector macros for the IMB using the 3D files - there should be some now. I think you must already have them for the USL server if you had/have 3D with it.
Finally save a full clone when it's all working. To switch between servers you will probably need to install the appropriate clone. When you do that, choose to overwrite the files (I think).
Note that deleting the unused .png files (4K patterns especially) speeds up saving and loading clones.

Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2018 08:01 PM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not in the projector configuration. The problem is that I don't know how to shitch the ShowVault output fom 2D to 3D. The USL showplayer software, has a "button" to switch between the two modes, but in the ShowVault, changing the mode on the Cinelister editor, it has no effect, using with both servers, the correct 3D macro for the 3D filter.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-21-2018 08:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Cinelister look below the right editor list - there is the 2D/3D switch for the playlist.

- Carsten

Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2018 09:11 PM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but nothing changes with the option in cinelister.
The manual says that with RealD, is necessary to install the license and add the device, but DepthQ and Le-Vision doesn't have licenses for install in the ShowVault.

In the USL, I use these filters configuring the server as ReadD 3D (the USL has a RealD built in configuration), but I don't have a RealD configuration on the ShowVault.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-22-2018 03:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Servers do not need to know anything about the 3D system the projector uses (aside from some early Dolby 3D server-side color corrections). What you are referring to is RealD Ghostbusting, that is an optional server-side function to reduce ghosting.

If the playlist is running in 3D, the server simply sends 2D frames twice to the projector, 3D at 3D L/R framerate, and sets the color-mode of the transmission to 10Bit YCxCz (apart from P3-RGB) if needed (HD-SDI server/media block). On a ShowVault, you see no difference, because there is no need to fall back to 10Bit YCxCz. The 3D macro in the projector does everything.

The GhostBusting is patented, that's why the server needs a license for it - typically RealD.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-22-2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you switch the server to 3D in the "properties" button in Editor, close that, and save the playlist... it's in 3D. If you open the playlist in Editor, the name and "3D" will display in the box under the playlist listing.
You may need to do some changes to the projector. Possibly the setup for your internal server is the same, and it will work OK... but input files for the HDMI port may be missing.
Once the server is playing 3D, you need to use a 3D projector macro with the appropriate 3D file. You can start with any 3D file and change the parameters as needed, just save it with a new name for each of your 3D adapters once you're seeing 3D with L/R correct. The projector should have a bunch of 3D files, at least Dolby, RealD, XpanD, MasterImage, and No3D. If not, you can open an IMB base clone and transfer them in using file manager. I'm not sure if SDI files work with an IMB, never tried that way.
If you have Real-D you can get a free server EQ license from Real-D, and activate it in device manager. But I don't see any difference on screen with vs without it.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2018 11:58 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi - I agree that the issue is the server. Is it really old ? Way way back DoReMi required licences for any 3d - they quickly dropped the charging for these but it is possible you have a server from pre this era ?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2018 01:46 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there is no generic 3D license available on the Dolby customer site you could try installing the Dolby 3D license. It is free and you do not have to have a login to get it. Once on the Dolby customer page the links on the right hand side do not need a login. Click on the Dolby software feature activation link. Put in the serial number and it should have a download link. Install like a software upgrade.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-22-2018 05:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have the Dolby 3D system, there is no need for a Dolby 3D license. New Doremi servers come with this license.

Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved !!!!!
The ShowVault detects if the content is 2D or 3D, and sends the video signal in the correct format, without change nothing on the cinelister editor. The problem was that the USL server sends the 3D image as "line interleve" and the ShowVault as "frame seq mode". Changing this on the Barco 3D configuration, now works well.

Thanks to Le-Vision 3D engineers that told me the solution.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-24-2018 09:14 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had imported a 3D file from the IMB base clone it would have worked I think.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: