Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Fantastic Beasts - Captioning issue

Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts - Captioning issue
Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else having in issue with 10 to 20 % of the captioning not working? We are having this issue in every auditorium in the circuit, including IMAX. It's like the file they used was a rough first cut. Deluxe is saying no one else is reporting it. Just thought I would check here.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 08:35 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you say where in the film it cut out?

I notice that it looked like there were issues when it decrypted the captions. SMPTE package.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-16-2018 11:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the auditoria in which you're having problems using the same equipment and software and firmware versions as those in which the CCAPs are playing OK? If not, is there any common denominator for the problem screens that is not present in the OK ones?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 11:19 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did several spot checks during the feature and I did not find a problem.

We use the USL/QSC system with Dolby DSS servers. A DSS100 in this case.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only common denominator is doremi servers. USL and Dolby captioning devices and all versions, including IMAX have the same issue. Also tested with sub titles decoding the captioning. We only caught by watching the whole movie after we start taking complaints. 90% of it is fine. I recall one scene before and during Johnny Depps speech about muggles. But it is several areas through out the movie. Also there is almost no description of what it is happening on screen.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2018 01:58 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you capture a log from the IRC-28C? Instructions are at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/IRC-28/Documents/Technical/CapturingIrcLog170922.pdf . I like to capture a log starting in one run of the feature and running through the next run of the feature to see how captions are loaded, etc. I can analyze the log and try to see what's going on.

Harold

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-17-2018 02:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're getting precisely the same dropped captions on the IRC-28C and Captiview readers?

If so, that would suggest that the problem is in the Doremi. Do the Doremi servers affected by the bug have different software, firmware and/or security manager versions? It might be worth downloading a log package from one in which the captions are working properly, and one in which they are not (ideally two that are hooked to Captiviews, or two with USLs - not one of each), and putting both through Dolby Log Analyzer, to see if it comes up with anything.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-17-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if these are IMAX Xenon locations, the servers are Doremis as well.

- Carsten

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2018 09:31 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not suggesting that the problem is linked to the following, but do you remember the caution from Dolby DSS servers and the "lamp on" cue being put on the very beginning of the playlist?
Again, I don't suggest that CC is subject to the same issues, but it doesn't cost much to check...

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 10:18 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So at this point they are having us send content to Dolby to review but after talking to several guest that use the captioning. They say it was a poor quality captioning but it not that rare for this to happen. Were contacting Warner Brothers to report it but not sure how far that will go. I'll also bring it up at the next NATO Tech Committee meeting.

Harold, long time no talk to. Thanks for the offer but again pretty sure this is not technical related.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: