Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NC1200C Bulb Adjustment Questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NC1200C Bulb Adjustment Questions
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2018 07:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To recap:

A while back we discussed what my next bulb would be.
Being a screening room we don't rack up lots of hours so this was only going to be the third. I'd been running 2000W Osram film bulbs with the aperture thing in place to keep current at a healthy range. Given the bad rep Osram has gotten recently (and I did pull my 2nd bulb early due to arc waver), I was going with Ushio. Cost per hour was about the same digital bulb vs. film. If I could go down to a 1500W bulb it would save a little power but that's not really important.

Since no one could be certain that the lower wattage digital bulb would be sufficiently bright over its life I went with an Ushio UXL-20SC 2000W film bulb. It's been sitting waiting for me to install it. The past few months I've been running off some hours on my original Osram bulb (and I will still have a couple hundred hours left so I can keep it as a spare)

Today I put in the Ushio. I did the numeric alignment per DCC software. But I seem to be having a problem getting the brightness low enough on 1.85 without being at the bottom of current range and then bright enough on Scope. (We are common height so Scope requires the most power.) Is it okay to run this bulb right at the bottom? I ended up playing with the Z axis (bulb focal position) but I'm not entirely happy.

Also, I confess I am way behind on updating the projector so this bulb is not listed. For the time being I indicated I put in another Osram 2000W film bulb. It has the same 60-85 current range. So why does the projector tell me we're at or near 100% when it's only in the mid 70 amps?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-12-2018 10:48 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamps may have multiple limits - amps, volts, watts. Maybe the Osram has a voltage limit lower than the Ushio's operating voltage?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-13-2018 08:54 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are exactly correct. Was probably peaking on Watts. Tiny differences between brands on pressure and precise gap length would cause it to vary the voltage to pump whatever current through.

While it was *probably* okay to run this way I don't want to chance doing harm to the new bulb so going back to Osram until I can update which I will wait til I have several days just in case. I'm not familiar with updating but what I have is 4.222 which itself is probably out of date but hopefully no one has any issues with it.

With the Osram 2K back in I am at about 78A Scope and 62A 1.85. That's for 16 fL on center as I like it just a touch bright.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2018 10:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC doesn't have a lamp designation for the UXL line, only the DXL line. Any UXL lamps that may be in your list was put in by others or possibly was on an early iteration of how the factory configured the projectors. However, such lamps, with each successive software update (where they reserve their certified lamps) will push non-certified lamps further down on the list.

Ushio lists the UXL-20SC with a current range of 50-85 so it is safe to operate within that range. Max wattage is 2000W so the projector will likely say it is at 100% when you hit 2000W regardless of what the current is.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-13-2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Thanks. Can I add a bulb type & specs?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-13-2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...sure can.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-13-2018 11:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I do that? I'm playing with DCC and the projector emulator.

Service Mode -> LAMP -> Setup -> New Bulb (Entry List) -> Edit

It won't let me alter an existing entry nor add a new one. So how does one enter new parameters? Or is it in another place?

PS: On the NEC film bulb adapter, do you happen to recall the size of the set screws? 2mm is too small, 2.5mm too large. I've been using whatever SAE Allen seemed closest but not an exact fit as I would presume it's a metric size.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-14-2018 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the screw size memorized. You have to do lamp entries in the STAND BY mode.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-14-2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried that. Perhaps because I'm playing with the emulator* not the real thing but going to Bulb Entry and clicking on Edit opens the box with parameters but it does not allow typing into any parameter except one is able to enter Warranty Hours. Does not matter if it's the currently selected bulb or another. Selecting "reserved" and the Edit button is grayed out. I'm surprised there is no "NEW" button.

I'm going to try a newer DCC and see if that matters. Not sure which one this is as there is no "about" page but it's from a few years ago.

*PJEmulator NC2000C as there was none for the 1200. Should be similar.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-14-2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The emulator doesn't let you change much anything.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-14-2018 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It works in emulator.

You need to select an available line number and then "edit" it.

You have to get past the "Reserved" ones that NEC is keeping available for themselves.

-

* Some entries in the graphic above may not be considered "valid" for the projector in question.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-14-2018 08:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve. I never thought to look at the end. I know what max kW is (and good on NEC for capitalizing the W) but what does "typical" mean?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-15-2018 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical = Nominal. If the lamp has a rated voltage and current (not just the range but an actual rated current), those two would be the "typical" wattage. conversely, if the lamp has a range that would allow a higher wattage, that would be the MAX. So a 2KW lamp could have a typical wattage of 2KW and a MAX of say 2.1KW. Absent information to the contrary, it is not uncommon for the Max and typical to be the same value for a given lamp.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2018 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking back on this, I used to do this on NEC's back about 2010 with some of the LTI High Output Cinema Lamps. But it was only on a few occasions at one site and not for very long as almost every one of those lamps lost it's seal well before warranty. I think we switched to Osram 2kw DC Lamps after that on those screens and an old NEC update already had that lamp in it. I will add that the Osram DC lamps were brand brand new then and almost as notorious for failure as the LTI lamps... It was at that point I switched to Ushio exclusively.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still puzzling over the exact size of the set screws in the brass adapter for film bulbs. 2mm is too small. 2.5mm too large. I thought maybe SAE 3/32" which is 2.38125mm but that's till too large. I ground down each facet of the latter to make it fit but I'd rather get the proper size. I'd been using some random tool--possible SAE--exerting side pressure but that's wearing out the opening. As I change bulbs so seldom it's not a huge priority but I would still like to know. Maybe NEC will tell me.

I tried taking a closeup photo of the screw with 2.5mm and 3/32" tools close by for reference so I could measure by pixel in Photoshop but it didn't work with enough precision to be of value.

I wonder if the screw is standard in terms of size and thread but they use some version with an oddball opening and they should just be replaced with standard ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: