Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC2000C ICP Fan Stop Precaution

Author Topic: NEC NC2000C ICP Fan Stop Precaution
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-09-2018 03:48 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started up Friday and received an ICP Fan Stop Precaution. I assume this is because the ICP fan stopped working. But I can not figure out where the fan is from the diagrams. Any feedback?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-09-2018 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is right above the ICP module blowing down right on the heatsink of the CPU of the ICP. The fan is mounted on the NEC CPU board. It is also known as FAN7

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-10-2018 08:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you do want that fsn running. The ICP FPGA that it blows on makes a lot of hest. It usually goes to 60C with the fan working.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-10-2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
And you do want that fsn running. The ICP FPGA that it blows on makes a lot of hest. It usually goes to 60C with the fan working.

LOL someone was a bit tipsy, here's the translation:

quote:
And you do want that fan running. The ICP FPGA that it blows on makes a lot of heat. It usually goes to 60C with the fan working.
Just teasing Dave...I tend to do things like that too when typing too fast, especially on my phone.

[Big Grin]

As for NEC and the term "Fan Stop Precaution", reminds me of the checklist for the old Concorde jet..when an engine fails, according to the checklist, the opposite engine doesn't stop, it performs a "Sympathetic Unstop" [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2018 02:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had one actually fail yet, nor any fan fail in an NEC YET... but I replace the ICP fan, the "Power On" and "AC On" fans that are up in the front of the projector at the 5 to 6 year mark as a precaution. These three fans are the system critical fans for the NC-1200 and NC2000. If the ICP fan does stop running the ICP will not burn up. It will run outside it's high temperature parameter and the projector will throw an error and it will likely just shut it self off, similar to a lamp overheating if you forgert to run the stack blower. Similar things will also happen for your customers that forget to change out the air filter in the front of the projector that hides behind that almost never used Real-D thinga majiggie that you installed and forgot about... I saw one hit 72C! Yes, it was throwing a high temp warning... Burp!
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-10-2018 02:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep that front filter got me the first time around..I just never thought to look for a filter there. Boy was that thing an ugly mess the first time I changed it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2018 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst I've ever seen that front filter it is about 1" of fuzz and crud in Central Utah....

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-11-2018 09:48 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This hasn't happened on an NEC for me, but a Barco 12C had its power supply fail overnight - no 24VDC. The 12VDC was fine... 12V powers all the electronics, 24V powers all the fans. All the electronics boards overheated severely and failed permanently as it sat there for hours. There was no overtemp shutdown of anything. Luckily in warranty.
So now I recommend shutting projectors off overnight. I don't think any VPF restrictions are still in force expecting systems online and powered 24/7 - and that was a crazy requirement at best.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2018 10:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My VPF customers completely ignored that requirement and shut them off anyways... Told Cinedigm/Wrong they'd leave them powered on IF they compensated the theater for power consumption. Neither Cinedigm or Wrong ever questioned it after that. Cinedigm needed the screens and customers! The remainder all went with the GDC VPF once it became available as it didn't have that silly requirement, nor did it really require a NOC. NOC's are always the last to know and the last to hear from when there is a problem anyway...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: