Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » barco IMCP database corruption (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: barco IMCP database corruption
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2018 03:04 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twice in two months have had the database corrupt and had to initialize the RAID to fix. First time two months ago when one booted up it would go into a long file system check. 2 plus hours. When finished nothing was fixed and database info was not available in commander. Communicator showed the raid has healthy. Tried all the tools to fix the drives but had to resort to initializing. End of last week only the clip index was bad. SPLs were fine. Shows already built up would load in the player and play but the clips did not show on timeline but it did play. Try to load a SPL in the edit no luck. Shows would ingest but the CPL list just said database error. Tried all the tools including file system check. Ran at normal speed but did not find any errors. Initialize once again. In both cases logs sent to Barco support but they found little to explain what is going on. They are sending the logs to Belgium but I have found that to be a black hole that one never hears from again.

Anyone else experience this and have any solutions?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2018 04:16 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that I supervise three ICMPs and never had that issue turn up so far. Did you always run the same software version when these issues occurred, and which? Maybe try to replace discs?

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2018 04:56 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was version 1.3.4.3 at the time. Two months ago when this happened the first time it was the most current software. As part of the troubleshooting it has been upgraded to the latest release 1.3.5.1 but this was after the second time.

As this does not seem to be wide spread I suspect a hardware issue. The Projector and Alchemy were installed new at the beginning of April this year. So dives are 6 month old. Barco tech support has the diagnostic package for both times. They did not mention a drive problem.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-09-2018 04:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks as if Barco has pulled 1.3.5.1 and 1.3.4.3 is the most current release again.

The last release notes appeared a bit puzzling to me:'Allow to play DCPs with 16Bit audio','Allow to play shows with corrupt clips in them'- REALLY?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-09-2018 06:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I could see that. Dolby's DSS servers would allow a missing/corrupt clip in it...it would merely jump over the offending clip rather than refuse to play the entire show.

In these more automated times...if an ad or preview hadn't transferred...would you want a show to not start and cause everything to be delayed? So I could definitely see that as a decent feature.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-09-2018 08:27 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the 16 bit audio thing.The DCI spec is 24 bit but also allows different bit depth, the wording is "DSM Audio Material having other bit depths shall be justified to the most significant bit per [AES3-2003 Section 4.1.1]".
So what does this new ability contribute?
Skipping corrupt content is fine I suppose... but hopefully it is not the feature! Better that failing to load or play a show if an ad or trailer is bad. An error should show up so the operator can correct the problem.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-09-2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCI/SMPTE audio is strictly 24bit. Non-24Bit material needs to be conformed by padding/truncating or dithering. I remember that Dolbys refused to play DCPs with 16Bit audio, don't know if they still do.

Just wondering what lead to this. SMPTE is coming, and there is a manufacturer relaxing specs...

Now, there is not much more in these 1.3.5.1 release notes, and THAT 'relax-release' had to be pulled...go figure...

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-09-2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICMP v1.3.5.1 is still available, has not been pulled. The ICMP product page still lists the previous version, but click the link above the yellow icon (instead of the "download" link) and you get a listing of all versions - and 1.3.5.1 is at the top.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2018 09:57 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To help you guys crack the puzzle: the 16bit audio feature is for an advertising use case in India [Wink]

And skipping corrupt/bad clips is only for:
- un-encrypted content
- preshow content (<30' long)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-13-2018 01:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appear to have discovered another 1.3.5.1 bug, possibly related to database corruption. After updating from 1.3.4.3 and rebooting, the dashboard display of how much space is used and remaining on the RAID has gone away:

-

I can still see it in Communicator (media server > maintenance > RAID), though.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago i had similar issue. A brand new 10Sx came, after installation operator called me with same issue, he pressed play and it was stating PLAY but no picture, no time going......after restart it solved problem. Also, had same issue few months ago, but also restart solved issue. On tis latest i am sure RAID was built lately as i did it because of added 4TB space (3X2TB hdd's). So two different systems with this issue and first was 4-5 month old back than, latest is brand new. Also all status were ok. I doubt this have any issue with RAID itself, maybe some ICMP player bug?!?

Also, one strange thing happend during installation......i went to room while raid was building and did format settings, macros, color calibration etc.....than after raid was build and ok i ingested some trailers to try it out. Since i did wait some 15-20 mins after calibration to raid to finish i plug laptop via HDMI and picture was ok, tried both A and B inputs all ok......after ingest i went to room, take my laptop and started clip i ingested just now, it was dolby 7.1 advert......it started, sound ok, no picture.....time going, i was hmmm??? resterted show, same thing.....tried another clip also the same, since laptop was still connected in booth, i switched to preset for HDMI, also no picture, test patter was ok......swaped to input B, no picture (and both were working 5min ago). rebooted projector completly, the same......reseat cards, clean contact, reinstall software and firmware 2x, reseat again.....tried all you can do, but the same, no picture, except test pattern. I take logs and send to barco and went to sleep as it was 5AM! In morning i remebered some info-t about currupted dci or something.....i want to room tried again, reseated boards again, but same.....since i lost picture after playing that dolby adver in dcp i erased it from content, i tried to play clip after 3 min and WOW, there were picture, also HDMI, all presets were ok.....i rebooted few times, all ok.... I was suprised, later did wrote that to Barco, they wanted file and now just waiting answer from them. Sorry for bit offtopic, but did you ever came up with problem like this? It could be coincidance, but i doubt....i even try to get all settings to default and there were no picture untill i erased that dcp from content. Only thing that was on screen is blink of picture for 1/10 of second in moment when i would presss stop, you could just see scene for 1/10 and nothing more.....

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2018 07:27 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a lot like the first time. The zero disk space shown is like it was. Don't remember if it showed number of clips and such or not. I see yours does. With mine the it took several hours to do a file system check and then if you went to another screen once it finished the file system check you got a failed to mount message.

And some screen shots from the second time when only the clip database was effected. Note in the play the show is loaded and will play but the individual clips do not show nor does the time indicator move when it is playing.

- ]http://www.film-tech.com/uploads/uploads0503/Screen18.jpg[/IMG]

- ]http://www.film-tech.com/uploads/uploads0503/screen17.jpg[/IMG]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-16-2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a response from Sacramento this morning: this bug is a new one on them, and they're passing my screenshot and description to the development team for further investigation. I asked if they suggested rolling back the affected unit to 1.3.4.3 in the meantime, but was asked to wait for some feedback from Belgium.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 07:14 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My issues have been sent to Belgium as well. I have found in other cases that that tends to be a bit of a black hole. Never hear anything back. I am going to keep on the local folks.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2018 12:44 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that Leo's ticket has reached the development team, aka "the black hole" [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: