Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOREMI/DOLBY Support contact

Author Topic: DOREMI/DOLBY Support contact
Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2018 06:12 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
This week we had a problem with the new DCPs received from Disney for NUTCRACKER. This DCP came in SMPTE format and our DOREMI IMS100 didn't show it.

The last updates we installed were:
FW: 4.4.3
SM: 6.1.122
Software: 2.6.6

I think we need to update our IMS and I wrote 3 times to Dolby support email but I have no answer.
We don’t have access to the DOREMI-TECHNO-LEGACY-PORTAL to download the needed update files.
Does anyone know any other way to contact Dolby support to get both upgrade files and instructions?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-05-2018 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Current versions are:

SM 6.1.133
FW 4.6.6-D
SW 2.6.7-0

You are far enough back on your FW and SM that I could see where you would have issues with SMPTE packages. Your versions predate Dolby's control over Doremi.

I would presume that there is a means for you to obtain the updates in your country. Getting the DRMs (for the SM and FW) may be just a trip to the "dolbycustomer" web site. The drms are not password protected but the firmware/software/security manager downloads are.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-05-2018 10:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem to be clear whether Dolby allow end users to register on dolbycustomer.com to download and install updates or not. I was allowed to at the last theater I worked at before becoming a service tech, but others have reported here that their applications were rejected and that they were told that should obtain software and firmware updates via their service tech.

Still, there is nothing to lose by trying to register. If you are allowed to and download the updates, though, do read the update procedure carefully before starting. I would also suggest ensuring that your projector's card cage is powered through a UPS before starting the update process, because a power failure while flashing could potentially brick your IMS.

For each component, the update procedure is upload DLM > upload package > reboot IMS. The component order is software (no DLM needed) > security manager > firmware.

If you're not confident about doing the update procedure yourself, I would strongly suggest booking a service call by a properly trained tech.

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2018 01:20 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did the last update on January 2017 ourselves.

Was Dolby who sent us the needed DLMs and the needed files, and instructions about the order to ingest it.

We can't afford paying for official service tech. Our cinema theater is in a little village and for us is a little business.

This time this is not a fault. This is an upgrade and if it could be done by ourselves (I'm engineer and I think I don't need any special training doing an update further that any technical instructions, the ingest order...) like we did 21 months ago, we want do it by ourselves.
When we bought this equipment, they told us it was both SMPTE and INTEROP compatible equipment.
Now the system don't play SMPTE DCPs and it must be corrected by a system update. I think we don't have to pay for a correction upgrade. This is not an upgrade, is an update.

I will try to register in DOLBY CUSTOMER SUPPORT Web.
Thanks for your tips.
Regards

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-05-2018 02:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The european support portal is still there, with the well known login credentials, it offers current software, security manager, firmware, hotfixes and DLMs for the IMS1000.

I am a bit surprised that the mentioned software version still has trouble with a Disney SMPTE title, but, shit can happen. What was the problem - ingest, playout, KDM?

I think Dolby is quite concerned to get all their equipment over the SMPTE transition without unnecessary hassle.

- Carsten

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2018 07:28 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, you can contact Dolby Cinema Solutions and Support at CinemaSupport@dolby.com

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 02:38 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten:
Ingesting was not a problem at all. The problem was traying to play the VF of the Spanish dubbed version: There was NO sound, only a High Frequency noise in the LS and RS channels.
The VF Original Version with Spanish Subs makes an strange red and green image…
(these problems reported by my brother. I didn't saw it in my own).
Then, Disney sent us an emergency backup OIP version of nutcracker and everything went fine.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Mike:
Sending an email to this adress was the first thing I did (3 times in a week) and I get NO answer.

Yesterday I tryed to register in the Dolby Customer Portal and this morning I received a message from him: They denied the access to us as we are not Dolby authorized dealers.

With DOREMI we didn't had these problems accessing to support…

Thanks to all of you for your help and your time.

JuanJo

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 03:43 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JuanJo,

Have you tried calling Dolby? They are usually very helpful.

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 07:40 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete.
My spoken English is not good enough to maintain a phone conversation... [Frown]

Do you think there is any difference between contacting them through email or by phone?

Anyway, I think I have a way to get these upgrades from a friend of my brother [Wink]

Thank you everybody

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-06-2018 07:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juan - I wasn't trying to sound condescending with my "if in doubt, call a tech" advice. The technical expertise of end users can vary from being out of their depth doing anything more than ingesting and pressing play, to being able to strip and rebuild a Series 1 NEC while drunk, stoned, and blindfolded. We have no way of knowing what the technical skill level of the enquirer is when answering queries on this site, and so I would always flag up very clearly when suggesting a course of action that could cause further damage if it goes wrong. We deal with lots of very remote locations, some of which have limited technical expertise on site, and are always looking to develop solutions based on a combination of remote access, keeping vital spares there, and helping theater staff to upskill.

quote: Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
The problem was traying to play the VF of the Spanish dubbed version: There was NO sound, only a High Frequency noise in the LS and RS channels.
Hmm ... wonder if SMPTE dynamic channel routing has something to do with this. Sounds to me (excuse the pun) like you could be hearing control tracks for wobbly seats (what should be on channels 13 and 14 on an Interop DCP), rather than an AES audio track.

Just a thought - try going to control panel > audio > channel mapping in your IMS's web UI, and selecting ISDCF from the pulldown menu.

quote: Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
The VF Original Version with Spanish Subs makes an strange red and green image…
Do you have a Series 1 projector with old (i.e. earlier than 15.1) TI firmware in it?

I don't know if the IMS1000 has the capability to render subtitles in the server, and cut out the rendering engine in the projector altogether. Full size Doremi servers and the IMS2000 definitely do. Another science experiment: try going to device manager > new device > subtitle engine. Then go to the projector's entry in the device manager, and uncheck the subtitles box. Then reboot the IMS, and see if your subtitled version plays OK.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby now have many offices, there may well be a native Spanish speaker.

I sent you a PM with some details of someone who may be able to help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: