Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » J2C frames workflow advice

Author Topic: J2C frames workflow advice
Rayjohn Tagayon
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2018 08:16 AM      Profile for Rayjohn Tagayon   Email Rayjohn Tagayon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, recently we had a client that required us to make multiple versions of DCPs to be aired locally and abroad, there's a different version for every mall circuit (3 versions in total), and for every region where the film was shown internationally (7 to be exact)

So in total I processed 10 DCPs, all rendered from the same master timeline on Davinci Resolve, generated via easyDCP plugin. Each had a "hidden watermark", a hint where we can know what region or mall circuit leaked the file in case a copy comes up online.

Each took about 2hrs and 30mins to process, it took a lot of time for us to submit each and every DCP they required.

So i'm thinking -

standalone easydcp has the option to NOT re-encode .j2c frames and instead just wrap them in MXF together with the pcm into a new dcp, and these takes only about 30 mins. Which is a lot faster.

Do you think It would have been smarter for me to just generate (next time) a Jpeg2000 master of the entire film, and only replace the frames where the watermark should appear everytime I make a new version? Is this workflow possible?

Thank you very much.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-01-2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In how far do these DCPs differ from each other? Is it just your custom watermarking? And where/when does that watermark occur? How long is every DCP? Depending on your Davinci project complexity, the actual J2C encoding may not be the most time consuming part, so, rendering the same project over and over may indeed be a considerable waste of time.

You should try DCP-o-matic - it will do repackaging of existing J2C/MXF without re-encoding, and you can still add new content (hard cut wise). So, it may be possible to create the main part of these DCPs only once, plus all the watermarked parts, and add them in DCP-o-matic, which is a fast copy/wrap process. I guess you could even add some sort of watermarking by using TimedText/Subtitling, which would speed the process up even more. Depends on your watermarking requirements.

DCP-o-matic also offers a commandline interface, so you could even automate that versioning workflow with a script.

DCI servers create their own watermarking when encrypted content is played. However, I guess encryption may be too hard to accomplish for you under the given conditions. Also, it could become costly to actually access the watermark detection tools for evaluations, the systems used by DCI servers are proprietary and not documented for obvious reasons.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: