Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Parsing image MXF file

Author Topic: Parsing image MXF file
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2018 05:37 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in determining the X'Y'Z' code values for a pixel in the middle of the screen in a DCP in the middle of the reel. I'm guessing there is software that will convert the MXF to a series of still frames and then software that can tell me the X'Y'Z' code values of a pixel in the middle of the frame. But, I've never done it! Any help would be great! I'm trying to verify that some test content indeed has the correct code values for SMPTE peak white.

Thanks!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-24-2018 05:56 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right, Carl has written a tool that does exactly that...

Let me see...here:

http://carlh.net/dumpxyz

I think it's been a while since he worked on it, and some links there seem to be broken. But I'm sure he will help you with it.

DCP-o-matic has an XYZ video waveform monitor, but so far I couldn't convince Carl to implement an interactive XYZ cursor readout.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2018 07:25 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXACTLY what I wanted! THANKS!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-24-2018 09:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that is nice.

In the past, I have done this in a very convoluted way, using asdcp-test to un-MXF the MXF, converting the j2c file to PNG, and then using a tool from the Imagemagick tool set to give the RGB values:

convert <filename> -format "%[pixel:s.p{XXX,YYY}]\n" info:

(where XXX and YYY represent the pixel location)

I think that Imagemagick now handles XYZ colorspace natively, so there may be some steps that can be skipped.

The above-described way is far easier. Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: