Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » IMS2000 not outputting 7.1

Author Topic: IMS2000 not outputting 7.1
Chad Bateman
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Chad Bateman   Author's Homepage   Email Chad Bateman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone been able to get a IMS2000 to play 5.1 or 7.1 through the HDMI port without changing inputs on the processor? I have a IMS2000 with a CP750 which with all the server content works fine but if I run a Blu-ray, computer, or any other source (even with PCM)I can only get L/R.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a aetting in the Blu ray player.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-17-2018 04:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried multiple HDMI sources, and/or been able to play 7.1 from the player that is giving you the problem into another audio processor?

Chad Bateman
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Chad Bateman   Author's Homepage   Email Chad Bateman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a 8-plex. 2 have ATMOS with 850's. I have tried 2 different Blu-rays and 3 different laptops. I have tried to even use a scaler to modify the sound setting in all case I have tried every sound setting. (dolby, DTS digital, with or without PCM) manual says any PCM source should work through the HDMI port.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-17-2018 05:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the mix settings for the HDMI preset on your 850. It could be downmixing the HDMI audio to 2.0. If it is, you'll see an arrow pointing diagonally from 7.1 on the left to 2Ch on the right.

-

Chad Bateman
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 05:31 PM      Profile for Chad Bateman   Author's Homepage   Email Chad Bateman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will look at that for the 850's and let you know. Now any ideas for the 750's? I know I could just use Dig 4 with prologic but I would really like to stay on digital 1 so the customer can stay on the same channel for alt content.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 05:33 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really look at the BLU ray player. On AES/EBU input, it just does eq and delay (unless you're decoding Dolby Digital). I expect the IMB to just pass through whatever it gets from the Blu ray player (converting the audio on the HDMI to AES3 to drive the CP750).

Good luck!

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-17-2018 09:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With HDMI, you enter the world of EDID and the havoc it can cause too. If the IMS is only calling for 2-channel, that is all that the source will deliver too. Remember too, Dolby products don't support DTS, despite DTS being the overwhelming majority of Blu-ray encoding.

If your Blu-ray player is capable of decoding the audio and outputting AES on the HDMI cable, then the IMS should be able to pass that through, channel for channel.

This problem is not unique to any particular brand of IMB/IMS type server too and it gets all the more complicated when one uses channel mapping. For instance, the ICMP (Barco) will output 7.1's Lrs/Rrs channels on 7 and 8 regardless of how the DCP is configured. So, if you DON'T remap DCP 7.1 from channels 11/12 to 7/8 those two channels will not be present. I wish ALL of the IMS/IMB manufacturers would realize that for HDMI sources, if there is audio on pair-4 to have it follow the mapping of the Lrs/Rrs of the DCP and output on the same channels.

Fortunately, more and more sound processors have an HDMI decoder available (QSC, Datasat) that will handle DTS, Dolby or LPCM and don't have the political issues of having to shun one very popular format. Note too, there is a semi-expensive, yet professional approach with Crestron. Their HD-XSP decoder supports Dolby, DTS and LPCM and one can configure it to automatically decode various 2-channel formats in a specified way (e.g. Pro-Logic).

Circling back to EDID...remember too that HDMI is a least-common-denominator format. So if you have any other devices (e.g. a confidence monitor for cuing) it can "pollute" the EDID table and only call for 2-channel stereo if that is all it knows. Many professional broadcast and AV components only call for stereo audio. Cinema and Home equipment are the ones that call for multi-channel. Extron is a company that seems to "get it" and have multi-channel audio as an option and preserve the various high-quality multichannel digital audio EDID.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: