Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NetGear NAS RAID configuration (IMB S2) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NetGear NAS RAID configuration (IMB S2)
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I get this frantic call about a NAS that has gone down on THREE drives (in a 4 drive system). This isn't a site I normally support their server since they are part of the Scrabble/Christie thing but Christie apparently bailed on them and said to call back on Monday since the NAS is out of warranty! (nice).

Anyway...using the NetGear program, sure enough three drives are listed as "Dead"

I've skimmed through the formatting procedure and also the Christie instructions where they begin with...make sure the system already is formatted RAID-5 (pretty standard stuff for DCinema).

However NetGear likes to use "their" X2 formatting scheme and I checked the other screen (twin drive-in) and that one is formatted X2 so have the rules changed since the IMB-S2 manual was published? Is the X2 formatting now preferred? And, if so, should one tick the 2-drive failure mode? I ask because if it took three drive failures to take this one down, I presume that it was indeed in X2 mode with dual drive failure before the third one died (and they didn't notice that two had already gone). A RAID-5 would have crashed on the second drive giving up.

Just curious. I intend to match the other screen but don't know what makes the IMB-S2 happiest with these NAS units. We don't have the IMB-S2 anywhere else due to its 100% failure rate...we avoided it.

Any advice on NAS configuration (at least as far as setting up the RAID goes, would be appreciated. I'm heading there with a set of new HGST 2TB drives (what we stock).

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-29-2018 11:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Netgear's X-RAID formats are auto-expanding such that you can operate the NAS on one drive with no redundancy, add a second drive for redundancy, and then add more drives (even different sizes) to add capacity. It sounds like if you have the two-drive-fail mode selected, you just get less and less space until you're dead.

I don't see why any of these players (like the Christie IMB) that use externally managed outboard storage should care what format the data is in, so long as when it asks for a file it's delivered.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-30-2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when the third drive died, it died.

So, yesterday, I delivered four 2TB drives and told it to keep the X2 formatting and allow for dual drive failure (seemingly that is how it was configured). We are at 16 hours of formatting and still it is chugging along but has not returned to usefulness. All that RAIDar says is that it is "healthy" but hasn't returned to knowing it is a ReadyNAS 2100. It is currently a product unknown but the disc access LED is winking like it is doing its thing since the time it started the RAID creation process.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2018 07:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of a raid that will not let you utilize it while it is initializing. On all raids I have used over the last 20 years that initialization is always done in the background. Same for raid rebuilding. The only thing that should happen is slightly slower read/write speeds,

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2018 08:07 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The netgear ReadyNAS is a terrible product in my opinion. I have had nothing but trouble with it. I recently had one that indicated dead drives like yours Steve but after replacing the drives it would not initialize. In the end we had to replace it.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2018 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sean. That may very well be the case. I have an Iomega RAID that I've verified to be operational that will likely go in before this weekend. I saw elsewhere on the internet that it can take up to 60-hours for this thing to initialize.

And Mark, I agree...I've never had a RAID behave like this one...just "go-away I'm busy." For all I know, the drives may not have failed and it was the unit all along.

I have very little experience with the Christie IMBs and their associated NAS systems so I have no point of reference for it. But so far, I don't like it one bit.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-01-2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've never seen one that was usable while initializing.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's RAID is completely usable during initializing (DSS series). Transfers are slower but shows run and content may be moved about.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-01-2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planning to switch out my ReadyNAS 2100 hard drives when we close in December. Steve is using HGST, just wondering if anyone has another preference among the NetGear approved disks. WD, Seagate?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-02-2018 06:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked for the approved list and I come up with broken links.

My recommendation is to change out one at a time and let it rebuild after each one. BTW...just shy of 60-Hours...still doing unknown things.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-02-2018 09:10 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't make it easy to find. In fact, I didn't bookmark it, but copied the list because it was so hard to find. But here's a screenshot of the compatible list:
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2018 10:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HGST first then Worstern Digital is the preference. Stay away from Seagate!!

All high end RAIDS can do multi duty while initializing. Some can even do a fast initialization and get it over with in a big hurry, like under a minute. All Dell and HP Raid controllers are able to do a fast initialization. But if you are installing brand new drives they recommend doing a standard initialization first. But you can still load and move content while it's initializing.

Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2018 10:12 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, look at that. Installing three of these this week.

Yay.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-02-2018 06:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not current either. Try to get a non 6Gb/s drive now. WD is up to the 2005 (Gold) series.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-03-2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appears to be the full list
https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: