Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco projector internal clock is 30 minutes slower than actual time

Author Topic: Barco projector internal clock is 30 minutes slower than actual time
Ma Yun
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2018 08:54 PM      Profile for Ma Yun   Email Ma Yun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have internal clock issue as mention 30 minutes slower. My colleague went down to client site. He try adjust timing through communicator software.

He found out if choose manually, maximum time adjust only +- 6mins.

When try to use automatic, pop up error 10539: settings-unreachable NTP server-NTP sync might not work.

Please advise correct step to rectify this issue.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-27-2018 09:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An ICP's real time clock (which is the clock a Series 2 Barco uses, unless it has an Alchemy ICMP in it) can be reset without that DCI limit, so I'm guessing that either you're referring to the clock in the server (or IMS) as distinct from the projector, or your projector has a Barco Alchemy ICMP in it.

Either way, the short-term solution is to obtain a patch from the server or IMS manufacturer (if you do have an Alchemy, from Barco), which will enable a one-time change of the clock without limits.

However, for many (if not all) manufacturers, the only way that one-time change can be done is by fetching the time from an NTP server on boot-up. With no patch installed, if the NTP reports a time that is greater than six minutes out, the system will generate an "out of budget" error message, and the time will not be changed. However, if the patch has been uploaded immediately before the reboot, it will allow a variance of greater than six minutes to be set for that one bootup only.

So it looks like you need two things:

- The patch from the manufacturer
- An NTP server on the management LAN to sync from.

Once you've set that up, it should be set and forget: as the secure clock drifts a bit, it will be reset from the NTP server on each bootup. The only problem is if the clock is so bad that it drifts more than six minutes in a year, in which case you need to repatch every time you run through your secure clock's "budget" of six minutes every year.

The Alchemy and the Dolby cat745 IMB often do. I've had to patch at least a dozen of each in the 16 months I've been working as a service tech, and one IMS3000 (I don't think the IMS3000 is that prone to drifting: the one I had to patch had been sitting in its box for 18 months between delivery and installation). Other Dolby and Doremi secure clocks, and most GDCs, don't seem to drift much at all. I haven't had to patch any. The Dolby cat862 seems to be extremely accurate: I recently serviced one that had never been synced to an NTP server in the seven years it had been in service, and its secure clock was less than two seconds out from UTC. It had also spent long periods of time powered down.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-28-2018 01:02 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You get a patch (example - ICMP_RTC_ADJ_RESET_ALL_201612300000) from Barco to allow another 6 minutes adjustment: you have to ingest the patch file (a license file, nit sure if it's sent as a KDM or what) and change the clock by 6 minutes towards what you want, then repeat the process. You may need to reboot the server each time - it's been a while since I did this. It's recommended to use NTP to keep the clock in sync: the NTP client can have the ability to adjust the system clock to eliminate drift although I'm not sure Barco allows that or has implemented it in their server software.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he had a GDC they will just remote in and correct it for you live.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^^^^^

Completely worthless information not related to the OT.

Then again, if it was a GDC, its warranty might evaporate come March and if it is a mediablock failure, your only choice would be server replacement...see they all have their ups and downs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still support/software warranties and all parts available on those for the foreseeable future.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-28-2018 04:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If he had a GDC they will just remote in and correct it for you live.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the letter of the DCI law that management LANs in digital cinema installations should not have any physical connection to the Internet, even indirect (e.g. a PC with two NICs)? If so, then if GDC will only correct clock drift by remoting in, then presumably they expect their servers to be used in a way that violates DCI rules (though admittedly, that particular rule is very widely violated).

As I say, I've never encountered an out-of-budget GDC secure clock, but always assumed that they would give you a patch for offline ingest, just as Dolby and Barco do.

quote: Dave Macaulay
you have to ingest the patch file (a license file, nit sure if it's sent as a KDM or what) and change the clock by 6 minutes towards what you want, then repeat the process.
Sorry - forgot that the Alchemy patch only lets you do six minutes per reboot cycle.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-28-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCP police are rather thin on the ground... and there are plenty of other "rules" that are totally ignored (screen masking, anyone?) I don't know if internet connection could be disallowed, NOC systems have a connection of some sort.
A server behind a NAT router - pretty much any router - won't be visible to the outside internet.
TMS systems will have their own NTP server to sync all the local servers, but should also use NTP to stay on actual time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2018 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
all parts available on those for the foreseeable future
Actually no (on the GDC part supplies)...the mediablocks will not be available for purchase (or repair, apparently). The 2000AR IMB will be unservicable after October 2019 (despite being a subset of the SX3000. My most failure prone part on the GDC...the mediablocks (both conventional and IMB).

And how much do you want to pay for software? They have become the most pricey on that front for the servers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2018 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Completely worthless information not related to the OT.
Mark, we try very hard here to keep spam out of the forums, but despite repeated warnings you continue to interject your salespitches for GDC over and over into discussions having nothing to do with them.

Your behavior is either:
A - spamming
B - trolling

Neither are acceptable. One final time, please stop.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: