Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 2500 series 1 ?

Author Topic: NEC 2500 series 1 ?
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2018 02:01 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dolby dss200 that I'm planning to put 4.9 software into it Anybody out there ,have that combination running and how's that working out. one of the reasons I'm doing it, is I get a 862 error then the screen goes to White Snow put it on pause for a while till it comes back, then resume the show. when the tech comes up and does that I'm going to have to do some other miscellaneous things that have been talked about on these forums .I just want to make sure the 4.9 will run on that projector okay

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2018 12:23 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First what version of software are you currently running on the DSS 200? If you are running a DCI compliant version 4.7.x or 4.8.x or 4.9.x then upgrading to the most current version is not an issue as you are already using Cinelink II TLS encryption. If you are using 4.3.5.x then you need to check that the interface card in your series 1 projector will work with Cinelink II TLS.

That said it sounds like you have a network issue between the server and projector. Upgrading would not help if that is the case. The white screen you are talking about does it have like colored sprinkles in it. If so that is Cinelink snow. You have lost the decrypting key sent over the eithernet by the server to the projector. What you see is the projector try to play an encrypted video signal without decrypting it.

When this happens do you get "Transport Unavailble" and "Error securing connection to projector" on the control screen? Try replacing the network cable(s) between the server and projector. If there is a network swith involved try going direct from the server to the projector bypassing the switch. Note you will loose all automation control done over eithernet when you do this other than the projector. Network switches do go bad and sometimes you can use another port on the switch as a work around.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-22-2018 01:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look after two DSS200/cat862 + NC2500 installations, both now on 4.9.1.22, which run absolutely fine.

As Stephan points out, if you're upgrading from 4.3 or earlier (pre-DCI), you need to be sure that your 2500 has a gore board and that the TLS certificate recovery check has been done, but apart from that, no problem. In fact, 4.9 fixes a ton of cat862 bugs and issues, so you should see a big reliability improvement.

Agreed with Stephan that your fault sounds like a management (auditorium in DSS-speak) LAN communication problem. I'd suggest swapping out the cables and switch(es) between the server and the projector as a first step.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2018 11:07 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm running 4.7 .Stephan i bypased all that stuff that you mentioned right now I got a cable just directly connected between projector and server and tried several different types of cables and had it connected this way for 2 years now and I do get that transport unavailable of one of the error besides the 862 it's a problem that's just driving me nuts ,it's up at the drive-in .at work I'm always working with NEC Series 2 gdc's so I'm not quite sure of this animal that's why I'm having a guy that I know at BrightStar Cinema service come up and give me a hand besides new software he's going to set the voltages on this card I think it's a TI card it's inside the projector and he's also going to try a direct connect inside the server I guess there's a jumper inside the server one of the things that I read with 4.9 is it supposed to correct this problem I'm having I don't know if it's true I read it in one of the forums . Also I've got a climate controlled booth where I'm running air ,dehumidification and air cleaner I've got a UPS on my machine so I kind ruled out the environment conditions causing me any problems thanks Leo & Stephan for all your knowledge I really appreciate it any other ideas let me know anything's worth a shot at this point .also I've got a DSS 100 I'm almost thinking about hooking that up ,if after doing all this other stuff that still don't correct it and see if it works better maybe the combination of old server and old projector. October 15th is the day that he's coming up there .I'm also writing this on my phone so the spelling looks kind of funky ,that's why ,my laptop went out also

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-23-2018 11:44 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a vague memory that there are some trimpots on the 2500's card cage power supply that allow you to adjust the output voltage (thankfully, it's a year and a half since I've had to go inside one). As the LAN connection doesn't go straight into the TI card, though, I'd have thought that the main input/output board would be a more likely suspect.

However, if you aren't having any other networking problems (e.g. Digital Cinema Commmunicator fails to connect from a PC on the management network occasionally), I'd be surprised if a bus voltage issue turned out to be the cause of your trouble. However, if a direct crossover cable from the server from the projector has not cured the connection problem, that isn't it, either.

I doubt if this is relevant, but is your 2500 on the current software bundle and TI firmware? Should be 2.11 for the software bundle and 15.1 for the TI firmware.

Also, taking a log package from the DSS200, uploading it to Dolby's online log analyzer, and seeing what it tells you can't hurt. The log analyzer will give you a unique URL for the results of your analysis, which you could post here if you like.

Miguel Cruz
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2018 09:28 PM      Profile for Miguel Cruz   Email Miguel Cruz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

In fact apparently we have the same issue ,because I had installed a Dolby DSS200 with 4.4 software cith NEC NC1600 , with the same problems " Transport not available " I openeed a ticket with dolby support I sent me 4.8 Software I recommend me "purge" the server , since apparently the server was saving logs , but was still the problema , so they sent me 4.9 software , by schedules I removed the server and replace it with a Doremi , but this week IŽll update the DSS200 and if I see any failure in the playback ( but I donŽt think it happens )IŽll let you know . As Leo mentions you can check the log in http://loganalyzer.dolbycustomer.com/ and open a ticket with dolby support , I share the last thing they commented me:

----------------------------------------------------------------

With the new logs I see more buffer underflows on the 19th, as you mentioned it was reported to you playback stopped:

2018-08-19 16:19:45,762 INFO [TCP server transport connection thread] proxy.ScdProxy$ShowPlayerBufferUnderflowListener - Buffer Underflow Detected
2018-08-19 16:20:02,761 INFO [TCP server transport connection thread] proxy.ScdProxy$ShowPlayerBufferUnderflowListener - Buffer Underflow Detected
2018-08-19 16:20:08,987 INFO [TCP server transport connection thread] proxy.StreamingProxy - streamengine.status.state.value: CONNECTING OldSocketState: true
2018-08-19 16:20:08,987 ERROR [TCP server transport connection thread] proxy.ProxyConnectionStateListener - Lost Socket Connection to ShowPlayer
2018-08-19 16:20:08,987 ERROR [TCP server transport connection thread] proxy.ScdProxy - Detected cat862:showstore-1/192.168.168.21:16161 disconnect

I do also see error message in the Cat.862 logs:

2018-08-19 16:19:53,567629 INFO MainApp;Streaming.StateMachine:Entered Decoding State
2018-08-19 16:20:02,726179 INFO MainApp;Streaming.StateMachine:Video Buffer Underflow
2018-08-19 16:20:02,726448 ERROR MainApp;Streaming.StateMachine:Video Buffer Underflow before end of session
2018-08-19 16:20:02,728781 INFO Supervisor;MicroBlaze:Playback: INFO: Stop Command Received.
2018-08-19 16:20:02,729460 INFO Supervisor;MicroBlaze:Process Interrruption--
2018-08-19 16:20:02,729878 INFO Supervisor;MicroBlaze:logAllFrameSequences: audioHasLogged=0, videoHasLogged=0
2018-08-19 16:20:02,730265 INFO Supervisor;MicroBlaze:FrameSequenceMonitor::logAllFrameSequences calling Audit Log start 3085 end 3304

And it may mean that the Show Manager is collecting the audit logs which sometimes can cause the Cat.862 to crash. Hopefully updating to 4.9.1.22 will correct this issue. If not, we will have to take the next step.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Miguel

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2018 01:32 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo the firmware is 2.11 but I got to check out what the TI is never wrote that down in my notebook ,I will get the logs and submit it and see what they say, Miquel good hearing from you kind of interesting that we both have the same issues just like you putting on that Doremi, I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to hook up the DSS 100 .maybe this 4.9 cures both of our problems , I hope so . And I bet my log looks very similar to what yours is. looking forward in hearing from you.it won't be till October 15th ,is when I'm going to get 4.9 installed .then we'll have a couple weekends left in the season to see how it works and again thanks to both of you guys for the info I really appreciate it

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2018 07:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the underlying problem is software glitches in version 4.7 interacting unhelpfully with your projector and/or TI board, then swapping in a DSS100/DSP100 will likely not help you, because the final software release for it was 4.7.8.7.

Once you get to doing the 4.9 upgrade, if you can live with losing all content, settings and automation cues and having to reconfigure and reingest as necessary, it might be worth doing a clean install as distinct from an upgrade install. You'd need to open a support ticket with Dolby to get the 4.9.1.22 clean install ISO. After running it, you would have (in software terms, at least) a new DSS200, straight out of the factory; meaning that if any software or settings corruption had crept in, that should be guaranteed to nuke it.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2018 01:45 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that was kind of a stupid thought about putting the DSS 100 in there I thought they'd be a little bit of difference but I guess 4.7 is 4.7 no matter what it is in. the other thing I'm going to put new hard drives in ,I got 500 gig in there now I would like to put one terabyte ,any recommendation on hard drives I emailed my cinema service provider BrightStar to see what they got sitting on the shelf for it

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-25-2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby maintains a list of "approved" drives but pretty much any 1TB or 2TB "Enterprise" drive should work fine. 1TB drives are pretty much obsolete and unavailable, though.

Dolby "Approved" 2TB drives for DSS200:
Hitachi Mars-K 2TB HUA723020ALA640
Hitachi Ultrastar Mars-KP 7K4000 HUS724020ALE640
Seagate Constellation ES 2TB ST32000644NS
WD WD2000FYYZ
WD RE4 WD2003FYYS
Hitachi Jupiter-U 2TB HUA722020ALA330
Hitachi
Toshiba MG04ACA200N
WD WD2005FBYZ
Seagate ST20000NM0125
HGST HUS726020ALA610
Toshiba MG04ACA200E

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-25-2018 11:18 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A buffer underflow error should point it to your HDDs status. Check the SMART data and see if you have many bad sectors of one of more drives or any other errors.
Reseat the drives and cabled or replace any bad drives.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2018 01:57 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd give you guys an update on the problem with my NEC 2000 with DolbyDSS 200 server. where I would get a transport error & the screen would go White.
anyway we replaced the software with their latest version of 4.9 also replace the router in the projector that's what Dolby said to do in previous logs that I had sent to them. anyway we still had 3 weekends in the season to test it . so the first weekend after that it ran fine the second weekend it went back to the same old problem .so I sent the logs off to Dolby again and they came back with the response they said use the option to reinstalled software and data on the media block this time they also sent us a new key for the block to install. also they said they seen some decode errors on our 10-second black clips and they said to put new ones of that in . And we will also replace that cat5 internal cable on the media block
so by the time I got this information back. we're close for the season but if the snow holds off , I'll go up there and get it reinstalled and we'll see what happens next spring, when we're back on the screen. anybody have an opinion on this?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-05-2018 12:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only that clean installing the cat862 firmware (use the Dolby Software Update utility on a laptop connected directly to the cat862 via USB, and check the "nuke the bugger and start over" box in the bottom right of the window) has, in my experience, made all sorts of media block-related problems miraculously disappear for me. You'll need a first install and a main firmware KDM from Dolby.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2018 01:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had issues with the network router that is part of the controller board in the projector causing this symptom
It is non replaceable

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2018 02:25 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo, for the advice that's got to be my issue. I guess I'll know next summer how it all pans out I'll let you know
Gorden what I did is I grab the routerboard out of a spare projector that I bought at the same time with the one I'm using

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: