Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can GDC SX 3000 work with Dolby?

Author Topic: Can GDC SX 3000 work with Dolby?
Paul Bleeker
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2018 07:04 AM      Profile for Paul Bleeker   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bleeker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in the process of upgrading our sound from 5.1 to 7.1 Surround. I have a new installation company that is suggesting I switch to all Dolby products, including my GDC SX3000 IMB. It seems like a waste to get rid of my SX3000s. Can they work with Dolby sound equipment to get me 7.1 Surround sound? Or is there a better solution? We are running NEC 900C-A projectors, and we have 2 screens.

|  IP: Logged

Muhamad Taufiq
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2018 08:12 AM      Profile for Muhamad Taufiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't you only need to add another amplifier and rewire the surround speaker? Unless you're planning to upgrade for better speaker/amplifier. Also I don't think there's any IMB (and cinema processor) that cannot handle 7.1

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-10-2018 09:35 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GDC server is entirely capable of 7.1 playback. You just need to ingest the 7.1 VF for features that have 7.1 available.
You will need to do some changes to signal path between server and sound processor, since the rear surround signals are in the 9-16 digital audio channels and it was quite unusual to connect them for a 5.1 system.
Your sound processor may be a problem, if you converted from film projection and kept the original sound system. As fara s I know all "digital cinema" sound processors are 7.1 capable. Film processors not so much: not all can handle 7.1... what are you using? You may need to change processors, and unless you had EX film playback capability you will need to add another amplifier and rewire the surround speakers to separate side and rears to their respective amplifiers.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
ou will need to do some changes to signal path between server and sound processor, since the rear surround signals are in the 9-16 digital audio channels and it was quite unusual to connect them for a 5.1 system.
Also, before HI and VI became a legal requirement (in the USA), it was pretty common for only one Ethernet cable to be run for AES in a 7.1 system, too, and for channel mapping in the server to be used to move 11 and 12 to 7 and 8. If you then need to install HI/VI equipment, you have to run the second cable, and in some cases replace the RJ45 to DB25 adapter in the back of the processor, too, if the one you find is only pinned for the first four pairs. I've had to do that a few times.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-11-2018 02:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sales Pitch - plain and simple.

Recognized that one right off.

I have Dolby CP750 and CP850 Atmos with SX3000 units.

-Monte

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-11-2018 03:32 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, that was a bad sales pitch. Maybe they don't have any experience with GDC and don't want to service it, but at least they should be honest about it.

All you need is a decoder that can support the extra two AES channels and at least two separate amplifiers for the speakers on those two extra channels.

What kind of audio processors are you using right now? Dolby CP650, CP750 or something else?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted the SX-3000 has had a few bumps but I have installed lots of them and they are all still in and working fine. The user interface on the Dolby IMB servers is literally the worst thing on the planet as far as user interfaces goes. Stick with the SX-3000 but just be sure to extend your warranty at the end of the three years, and do your firmware upgrades twice yearly like on any other gear. Also, replace the certificate batteries before the three years is up. As for Dolby processors, there again is no real advantage over installing a JSD-100. In the old days of film there was the ever critical Noise Reduction and Dolby was about the best there. In fact the JSD-100 has much newer A to D and D to A chips in it than does the Dolby which is now a rather vintage design. I first saw a CP-750 prototype installed in 2006! I suggest getting another quote from an unbiased dealer before you do anything.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-17-2018 05:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only truly unbiased dealer you're likely to find is one that sells all the products in a particular market sector (or at the very least, all the main ones); and even then, if that dealer stands to make a bigger markup on some than others, there is the risk that a bias could creep in. I suspect that the only way you will get truly unbiased advice is from an independent consultant that you pay by the hour.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The user interface on the Dolby IMB servers is literally the worst thing on the planet as far as user interfaces goes.
Actually, I prefer the Dolby IMS2000 web UI to the GDC VNC UI (though the IMS3000's hybrid of the 2000 and the CP850 is confusing and nasty); but of course, I'm writing from the perspective of an installer and servicer, not an end user. A lot of it is down to personal preference.

But, yes, agreed entirely about keeping GDC servers in warranty, especially considering the check you'll have to cut if the battery goes out after the warranty has expired. I liken it to leasing a car: think of the sum you pay upfront as a down payment, not a one-time purchase.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2018 02:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the per year cost for GDC warranty is very reasonable considering what some of the parts could cost you if you didn't have the warranty. Multiple servers and multiple years also nets a pretty good per server discount, plus the three levels that are available. They will only go out five years on warranty extension though. After that you have to just buy the replacement parts. As for an unbiased dealer.... they are definitely out there, but this guy in Iowa seriously needs to get another quote form a dealer that is able to work with his present equipments.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: