Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » update ShowVault to 2.8.20 failed - IMB not recognized (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: update ShowVault to 2.8.20 failed - IMB not recognized
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2018 02:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just updated a ShowVault running 2.6.4 to 2.8.10 - and after a reboot, the secure clock/IMB is no longer recognized. After the first regular reboot, the diagnostic messenger came up with a warning that the secure clock hasn't been replaced in 1344 days (it had been replaced 2 years ago). All was running smoothly before.

Any idea? Multiple shutdowns/power cycles didn't solve it.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2018 03:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be one of three possibilities.

1 - You accidentally installed 2.8.20 for a DCP2000 or DCP2K4 (server with a Dolphin media block rather than an IMB), rather than 2.8.20 for a ShowVault, and it's trying to communicate with a Dolphin board and not finding it.

2 - 2.8.20 will only work if the firmware and security manager (both are flashed into the IMB) are updated to a newer version than the one they're on. I'd be surprised if this is the problem, because Dolby's instructions say to always update a ShowVault/IMB in the order server > security manager > firmware. Logically, therefore, a new version of the server software should not break communication with an IMB running an older SM or firmware, because it needs to see it in order to update it.

3 - The flash drive that holds the operating system image got corrupted during the upgrade. If that's happened, you may be able to rescue it by creating an emergency boot drive on a USB flash stick, from a working ShowVault, and then using that in the problem machine to get you going (but the permanent fix, I'm afraid, is to buy a replacement boot flash card from Dolby). I have an instruction sheet on how to do this, but this site won't let you upload PDFs directly. Please email me if you'd like it.

Also, apologies if this is so obvious as to insult your intelligence, but I take it that you have tried pulling and reseating the PCI-e cable, and checking that the IMB <> projector marriage is still OK?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2018 04:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2.8.20 packages for DCP2000/Dolphin 1.0, Dolphin 1.2 and ShowVault are bit identical. The download links also point to the same file:

http://doremi-techno-legacy-portal.dolbycustomer.com/images/Portal/Cinema_Players/DCP2000-DCP2K4/pkg/SW_2_ 6_4/dcp2000_install-2.8.20-0.pkg

???

I may try the emergency usb stick, have to dig one up somewhere. That PDF is probably on doremitechno, but I'd still like to see your version. You may contact me through pm or mail.

The instructions for creating an emergency USB drive on doremitechno also offer links for downloadable emergency images, but unfortunately only for versions 2.2.5 and 2.4.4.

- Carsten

Regards - Carsten

Juan Jose Vazquez
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2018 10:39 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Vazquez   Email Juan Jose Vazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ello everyone.

I have updated to version 2.8.20 in Doremi DCP2000 and ShowVault without problems and using the same file that doremi delivers in its FTP site, I have already installed the hotfix that Dolby recommends installing and the same without problems.

Regards

Juan José

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 01:56 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, you can "create" an emergency USB stick by copying the SSD drive of another ShowVault, bit by bit (dd command via terminal as root - be extremely careful on what you write there, if you try to copy the wrong way around, you'll wipe the drive). If you do it while the server is on, the most possible, you will see an error that the machine did not close properly when you first use the USB drive for booting, since no power down commands were logged in your copy.
Other than that, you'll have to retrieve the certificates of your server, either online or by a diagnostics package you previously created and place them properly.
The actual placement procedure of the USB stick is described by doremi/dolby, so no reason for me to go by memory right now.
CAUTION: The motherboard of ShowVault, just like DCP2000 and the 2K4/SV4 series does not support USB3, use a USB2 stick, if you want the ampers to be proper. I tried once with a USB3 thumb drive and I wasn't able to get it to boot. Changing to USB2 did the trick. Also, you might find that SV3 and SV4 SSDs have different capacities. I am not certain if that has to do with the series (SV3/SV4) or the date of manufacturing. My estimation is that either 2GB or 4GB, the actual space used on both is the same, but it might need different USB sticks (they have to be equal or bigger capacity...).

If you don't have an SV3/4 handy, in order to create the emergency USB, PM me your e-mail and we'll try to retrieve a back-up for you to use, but -mind you- it'll be a v2.6.4 one.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 04:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Site, we only have a DPC-2K4 (Dolphin). I don't know if an emergency USB stick created on that one woul also boot a ShowVault with the IMB working? I can see that our ShowVault says 'Dolphin card not found' during boot, so it may check for both Dolphin cards and IMBs? But I should be able to source an emergency USB stick from a colleagues ShowVault somewhere.

- Carsten

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 07:11 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced this before, before updating make sure the server is on and IMB is connected.

We had few instances updating while the server was off and it didn’t recognise the IMB.

You can make an emergency boot usb, download the iso from legacy portal. Flash it into the drive. Plug it into the server, connect IMB etc and power up. Update the software gradually.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 08:23 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mergency USB images I see on the legacy portal only seem to cover 2.2.5 and 2.4.4. We do have a 2K4 running 2.6.4 though.
Server and projector, incl. IMB were powered on during the upgrade.

NEC DCCS2 is showing the IMB active with Firmware 5.0.31-0
But the Doremi can not connect. We already reseated IMB, cable and PCIe card.

Service mentions a DCP2000 DDR memory upgrade package - never seen than before...

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 09:19 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see that clock warning when it has failed to connect to the IMB, since it doesn't know the secure clock time it assumes it's 1970 or something.
Looks like a communication error somewhere. Try deleting the IMB from device manager and rebooting, it should look for it and maybe reconnect? That's what happens on a new installation anyway.
Also I would reseat the projector boards including the IMB, ICP, and CCB.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 10:01 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... first, I created an emergency boot stick on a 2K4 (Dolphin). Creation works, the ShowVault starts with it, but then somewhere goes into a PCI/dolphin detection loop.
So, basically it works, but I can't get it to start the GUI to change the network config.

...interesting, after a while, it exits that loop and starts the GUI, now trying to reconfigure the proper IP addresses...

Will try to remove the IMB from device manager...

- Carsten

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine. It might save you some time on configuring.

Have in mind that, if you want to have the original innodisk memory drive checked outside the server, you can remove it from the USB-hub and place it in a USB 2 motherboard header. After all, that is what those Disk on Modules are made for...

Edit: That was a response for the previous post...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm,. wow, that was weird - I was about to give up - and the final reboot actually saved us - suddenly, the secure clock warning was gone, KDM were there, diagnostic manager showed the media block/IMB present. I was able to play unencrypted and encrypted content.

Now, the system is running from the emergency boot stick created on our 2K4 running 2.6.4-0 - all I did was adding the DCP2000_DDR memory upgrade, and some IP reconfig. And many reboots... the first one added Certainty automatically. When it still didn't work, I removed all devices (projectors, Certainty, etc.), rebooted, added the NEC series 2 projector. After another reboot, it did NOT automatically add the IMB/Certainty. I was frustrated, power down both server and projector, restartet one more time - and now it works. Probably the projector/IMB needed another power kick as well...

We are now waiting for a new innodisk to arrive tomorrow. Maybe the old one was corrupt and didn't survive the update to 2.8.20...?

Glad, we were just about to start todays showings, so we didn't lose a single one...

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 02:28 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

I can give you a bootflash ISO for nearly up to date OS if you need it. I got it from Dolby support, they said they were going to update the link on the portal, I guess they didn't.

Or just run the update on your eboot.

I had to do this recently when a bootflash died.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2018 03:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, that would be great. I'm glad I'm up and running, but...

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 03:39 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I'm trying to find a way to get it to you, it's 2GB

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: