Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K - 23B Reflector replacement (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco DP2K - 23B Reflector replacement
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night when changing out the lamp in one of my projectors, the brass adapter on the new lamp slipped out of the rear socket fitting and landed on the reflector and broke it.

I've been to the Barco Level 1 Installation / General Maintenance class, but we didn't go over reflector replacement in that class.

How hard it that going to be to replace? Is that something I can do, or do I need to find someone to come do it for me?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I had to replace one they preferred to supply an entire lamp module rather than the reflector. Not sure they still push that or not.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-21-2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know your skill level but it isn't too bad. Pretty much disassemble the lamphouse: unless I'm just remembering the C lamphouse (the smaller B lamphouse is very similar I think) the assembly screws to both sides of the mirror bulkhead plate, the new mirror comes on a new plate. Lots of screws. Keep track of what length goes in what hole.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 12:04 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had someone send over the replacement instructions from the Barco manual. Doesn't look as complicated as i feared. My equipment dealer is locating the part now and getting it shipped today. I should be able to tackle this now that I have illustrated instructions.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-21-2018 06:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the install.

Any focusing procedure needed, or just a straight shot install?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-21-2018 09:00 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the new mirror comes on a thick metal plate, the lamphouse registration pins on the projector engage that plate. So alignment of the mirror to the projector should be maintained: needs only normal lamp alignment. The folding mirror should not need any alignment (that is not a fun job).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 09:05 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monty,
Looking at the installation instructions I was forwarded today, it looks like a straight up install. Any focusing I believe is going to be down with the lamp adjustments.

Honestly, it looks pretty simple.

1. Disconnect the cathode wire from the lamphouse.

2. Cut a zip tie.

3. Remove 4 screws from the bottom of the front section of the lamphouse.

4. Remove 8 screws to separate the front of the lamphouse from the back.

5. Remove 3 hex socket screws that hold the reflector mounting ring to the lamphouse.

Reassemble in reverse order....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-22-2018 12:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most everything on modern Barco projectors is easy to service. I doubt too that you'd need to adjust the cold mirror (unless you really wanted to optimize it and even then you should have something like the old USL PSA200 light meter to measure uniformity).

If you follow the instructions, it shouldn't be bad at all.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-22-2018 02:23 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a redundant tip, but anyway: Use a bunch of CLEAN gloves when handling the mirror.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done several of these. You may need to tweak the top of the bulb module housing with a screwdriver to tease the reflector flange out of the housing. Same on install. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Make sure you have a good sized work surface.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this repaired last night, and it went better than expected.
Our dealer (American Cinema Equipment) and Barco made sure the reflector got here on time and in one piece.

Tuesday night I went down to the drive-in and took apart the lamphouse to familiarize myself with the procedure, and made sure I had all the necessary tools to complete the job.

A fellow drive-in owner had sent me a couple of pages from the Barco service manual, but I found out the hard way that there seems to be an "early model" and a "late model" revision to the 23B lamphouse. My instructions didn't match the lamphouse sitting on the bench. I called Barco and they sent me the entire REVISED service manual for the 23B & 32B.

New reflector arrived yesterday afternoon, and I had it all put back together and back up and running by 8:30 p.m. last night. Got the new lamp alignment dialed in to 13.38 foot lamberts... I'm pleased.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2018 08:32 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is your screen. That is very impressive for a drive-in.

Stephan

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2018 09:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital works very good in drive in situations. My DI customers have as good an image as their indoor screens have.

Mark

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2018 06:09 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, our drive-in screen is 73 feet wide and we use a 23B. Our bulb is "turned down" and we still achieve proper brightness, no problem. Can't recall what the meter read when they did it, somewhere around 13 as I recall. The picture was most certainly "too bright" at full power.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2018 09:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
How big is your screen. That is very impressive for a drive-in.
Both of our screens are 25'-0" x 59'-0"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: