Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 7.1 Hollywood Sound Test

Author Topic: 7.1 Hollywood Sound Test
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assembling a 7.1 test reel and would like to have something at the end in keeping with the channel specific musical number in the Hollywood Sound Test that ships with the GDC servers. The GDC one is only 5.1 though. Anyone know of something that I can use?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 12:50 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's that Dolby thing that plays a buzz on each channel in sequence while it shows a moving graphic of the speaker on the screen. Does that come in 7.1?

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 03:04 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby does have a full compliment of 7.1 Channel ID, Sweep Tone and Pink Noise DCPs but I was looking for something that would give a good overall workout to each channel in a way that a non-technician might be able to know if something is a little off.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 05:36 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Charles Flynn has been working on a couple of 'managers walkthrough' test DCPs that are aimed not so much towards measuring specific isolated technical aspects of projection and sound, but to allow a person with a decent training to recognize typical issues (e.g. distortion).

I don't know the current state of it, though, but, check it out:

https://vimeo.com/181345305

https://www.cinematesttools.com

- Carsten

Charles 'CJ' Flynn
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2018 09:58 PM      Profile for Charles 'CJ' Flynn   Author's Homepage   Email Charles 'CJ' Flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Carsten
Hi Greg

quote: Greg Routenburg
"...but I was looking for something that would
give a good overall workout to each channel
in a way that a non-technician might be able to know
if something is a little off."

I have been working on some things in the background that are exactly what you mention:
  • giving the non-tech employee some tools that
  • tests the audio and picture in a simple way, that
  • gives them a chance to be responsible for their picture and sound, and
  • send a report to someone when it isn't.
There is an online checklist that goes with any of a few different DCPs.
Online Checklist
When it is filled out it will send an emails and if it is set up on your own server it will send details to a Google Sheet.
There are sets of DCPs as well.
Managers Walk Through Series
Technicians Toolset Series

I've learned that the checklist that I have now, and the DCPs that go with it, are too complicated. So, I am making them 'snappier' and single purpose. The way they are now, I was also trying to teach and entertain as well as work out the room.

It has been slow work – I have been changing my workflow, so I haven't gotten them updated as quickly as I'd like. But now would be a great time to ask for something and suggest how to do things better.

Hope this helps. Oh, and Free and (when more refined), Open Sourced.

C J
(Sorry for the length of my first post.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: