Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco dp 2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco dp 2000
Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 12:35 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.. I am a newbie here. In a bid to become DCI compliant, I have found a barco dp 2000.. at a reasonable price, and I am about to purchase this. Any thoughts on this choice of projector? For an Independent cinema?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 02:42 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on quite a lot of details. In itself, the DP-2000 isn't a bad projector, but it's End of Life. So, getting spare parts for it might be difficult.

It also depends on the price you're paying, the condition the machine is in and how many hours it has been running. Also, don't forget to check whether or not the installed lens will work in your situation.

I guess you know you also need a DCI server that fits the configuration?

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 06:04 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. This projector is said to have an integrated DCI server.. the lamp in it is a 750hrs lamp i was told and has 9 hours on it. They have calculated my screen and all that and came up with a lens that will work. They are adding 2 of that. Price is €12,000.00 Good enough?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 09:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that in the USA this is is too high. That is about $14,000 US. More like $10,000 would be closer to reasonable. I've found these for $5,000 or less. Do you need a projector this big? What size is the screen? And there are any number of concerns of spare parts and cards that are DCI Spec. I would want to know more details about the server.

I would say wait for a series 2 projectors. Just my opinion of course.

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 10:04 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.rebeam-shop.com/en/barco-dp-2000/a-31725/ that is the link to this projector.. my screen is pretty small 2 meters by a little less than 4 meters.
Will you be able to helo me find a DCI compliant projector for this with an integrated server? For less?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sam that the price is somewhat on the high end, but it's hard to judge the local market. You can probably get it cheaper in Europe or U.S.A., but then you have to calculate in the shipping costs and potential import tariffs.

It's also worth something to have somebody around that has some experience with those machines, because setting them up correctly and maintaining them is still something that can best be done by a trained technician.

Also, if the price really includes a DCI server in good condition and the projector is in good condition too, then it's actually not that bad in my opinion.

If the lamp has a warranty of 750 hours, then it's probably a 2.4KW lamp. You should check the wattage of the installed lamp and match this against your screen size too.

Regarding the DCI server: This is a series 1 projector, so there must be some kind of external server. Please check the make and model of that.

Edit:

You posted the link while I was writing my post.

1. I don't see anything on that page that states it includes a DCI server. Maybe it's a special offer or you're missing something.
2. For a 4x2m screen, loaded with a 3kW lamp, this is highly overpowered. I'd try to get my hands on a 2nd hand NEC 900C with integrated IMS for roughly the same price. That's a Series II projector, will run more efficient, with less heat and noise and the lamps are cheaper than comparable Xenon lamps.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 11:09 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector hours "please ask"...?
This is a rather (very?) high price for a DP2000 unless it has VERY low hours. Note that the hours are saved on one of the cards, which could be from a different projector.
These can be found in the US for under USD$10,000.00, sometimes much less... firms liquidating closed cinemas don't always know what stuff is worth and the auctions rarely have reserve bids so they can be picked up a lot cheaper if you keep your eyes on auctions. Not much use for you I suppose, but still...
This is a massively overpowered machine for your screen. I'm not sure what the minimum lamp size is, maybe 1000W. And it's loud. The button panels on the DP2000s I handle have pretty much all failed by now, and the replacement is $$$... all you really need is one channel button that works to be able to clear security errors. You will need a PC to control it anyway, the control program is free at least. The Barco touchpanel is OK but very expensive for something a $100.00 used laptop can do.
There's no mention of a server in the linked ad and I don't know of any "integrated" server for a DP2000.
Series 2 projectors are rare in the used market. But they will show up, unless you really need a projector I would skip this one. Be aware that some parts - the light engine and TI boards particularly - are very costly, a failure may happen any time. Paying the nut for a new projector with warranty gives you a few years of no worries that way. A Barco 6E is all you need for your screen size, or equivalent NEC (avoid Christies).

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 01:10 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spec lists a "warping" function, the price is way too high and there are no integrated servers for series 1 so I would walk away. Or buy one off us for around £10k !

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jump on it Peter! I noticed the warping feature as well as some inaccurate about the xenon bulb.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if the photos on the link are the actual projector, but the fittings on that unit suggest a rental event projector, not a DCI unit. The warping feature would go along with an event projector as well.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know which options you have to buy used gear in your area or elsewhere including transport, but, for a series 1 projector, essentially no warranty, issues with replacement parts, local support, etc, I would stay away from that offer and think again. The second hand market for series 2 entry level machines is not huge, but it exists (e.g. NEC NC900). I have seen offers for NC900 including server for less than you have been quoted the DP2000. Not in Nigeria though.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 11:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector pictured looks like a DP2000 to me. Barco rental/AV projectors have a lifting rail assembly, at least all I've seen do. The eye bolts are screwed into threaded holes that all Barco cinema projectors have either for ceiling mounts or for stacking them... we've never used them for anything except attaching the touchscreen mount.
As for "warping"? Not too sure about that, but I have certainly managed to really screw up the image when trying things in screen file setup.
Assuming it's a DP2000 as advertised, it will be D-Cinema capable. A series 2 SDI projector could potentially come without a link decryptor but with S1 that's built into the interface card.

Koroye Seitonkumo
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2018 12:53 AM      Profile for Koroye Seitonkumo   Email Koroye Seitonkumo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my search will continue.. as most comments advice I walk away. Thanks alot big friends.. plus I am open to offers..

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-17-2018 10:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be a party pooper, but one of the reasons why the price may be so high (and agreed - that's at least 30% more than I'd expect to see a DP2000 with, say, 10 years' use and still in good operating condition go for in the US) could be the existence of significant import tariffs, and other legal and regulatory hurdles, that could mean that what you'd pay to import a projector from overseas would add up to a lot more than just the shipping bill. As an example, I understand that Brazil imposes a 100% import tariff on most industrial electronics (and I'm sure we've all read the news about a certain red-headed politician and his Chinese counterparts on that subject!), and there are other countries that won't release your projector from the bonded warehouse until it has had safety modifications done to the power supply and inspected, etc. etc.

If importing is something you want to look seriously at, it might be worth investing in an hour of two of time from someone who is an expert in the laws and regulations around importing industrial machinery into Nigeria, to make sure that you aren't going to be caught by any unforeseen gotchas.

Parts, service and support availability in Nigeria for whatever brand you choose to buy is another consideration. I'm guessing that because a DP2000 is being offered for sale in the country, that Barco has a support presence in Nigeria. But I'd definitely want to check this out, as well.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-17-2018 02:12 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mentioned shop is a large german second hand AV equipment reseller. Nothing specific nigerian to it. I know these companies routinely charge too much, but at the same time, their prices are highly negotionable. Not enough in this case, I assume.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: