Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » High Contrast Light Loss

Author Topic: High Contrast Light Loss
Muhamad Taufiq
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2018 12:16 AM      Profile for Muhamad Taufiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little bit curious, since after searching around here and Google I can't seem to find definitive answer about this topic.

When comparing between High Brightness and High Contrast lens, how many fL (or lumens %) can you expect to lose?

And then as I understand some (or all) manufacturers provide iris to increase contrast, how many light loss to expect?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-14-2018 07:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a set figure. Christie has, traditionally, offered High Contrast lenses for their 1.2 and 1.38" DLP projectors and how much light you lose is probably dependent on the focal length. It would not surprise me if it was on the order of 20% or more.

Barco only offers the High Contrast lenses on their "P" (post-production) and Laser projectors with the claim that the heat from the other projectors would damage them. I know one gives up a lot of light on the "P" version of their projector but that is for the whole light path, not just the lens.

As for an iris, Christie has offered them for their 1.2/1.38" machines and it is a kit of several sizes so you can choose what light-loss versus contrast improvement so again, it is variable.

NEC, on their .98 (and maybe larger) comes with a single iris that seems to knock off about 20% of your light (I didn't really measure the one I used...I had too much light on a small screen so I used it to get the light into the range). That theatre is no-more so I couldn't measure it now.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2018 09:21 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco has 3 types of lenses: High Brightness (as in our standard projector models), High Contrast (as in DP4K-P) and Very High Contrast (as in DP4K-LHC and BLPHC models)

On a standard projector you can switch between the standard HB and HC lens. Going to the HC lens will boost contrast by ~25% and drop brightness by 20-30%.

Going to a setup with VHC lens always happens together with adaptations to the internal light pipe. It yields a contrast boost of more x2.

Muhamad Taufiq
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2018 10:47 AM      Profile for Muhamad Taufiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve and Tom.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-14-2018 06:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was doing this with traditional camera lenses, I would compare the f-numbers and focal lengths of the lenses and calculate the difference in the light.

You would also need to factor in the light transmission qualities of the lenses in question. (e.g. Better quality glass, coatings, the number/position of lens elements and overall design.)

All other things equal, you can simply divide the focal length of the lens by the diameter of the lens opening to get the f-number (if it isn't already specified) and compare the two. The lower f-number would give better light.

This is a very simplified overview and doesn't take a lot of factors into account. (Such as transmission qualities.) However, it will give you a rough idea of the differences between two lenses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: