Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco ICMP HDMI input green/pink tinted and image go blank

Author Topic: Barco ICMP HDMI input green/pink tinted and image go blank
Ma Yun
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2018 07:43 PM      Profile for Ma Yun   Email Ma Yun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I have encounter problem when I play HDMI source from laptop through HDMI port.

Green/pink tinted randomly appear on image 2 to 3 seconds. Image also go blank within few seconds.

Any suggestion for this issue. I have try different brand of laptop, hdmi cable and spare ICMP but still not rectify.

Ask for Barco support but look like they not even willing on site support on this issue.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-07-2018 09:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long ist that cable? I would first try an HDMI repeater/splitter/switch to try stabilize the signal.

From my experience, the ICMP HDMI input is not exceptionally picky. Is it the new HDMI2.0 ICMP, or the older 2*DP+HDMI1.4 ICMP?

- Carsten

Ma Yun
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2018 10:06 PM      Profile for Ma Yun   Email Ma Yun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,

ICMP is old version with 1 HDMI and 2 DP port.

Length of cable is around 5 meter.

I have try to use crestron splitter for monitoring test.

Panasonic laser projector and Barco DP4K-19B are receive same source but still only Barco projector having colour distortion and image blank issue.

Also I have update Barco projector and ICMP firmware.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-08-2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same issue with two different ICMP units, various sources and cables that work with other displays? That suggests a configuration problem.
ICMP does accept a lot of video formats but not all... is this a standard format like 1080p? I get lots of weird issues with apple laptop video for example.
I would guess a connection or hardware issue ... but you say two ICMPs do the same thing.
What does Barco say? I don't think an actual Barco person ever does onsite work unless you're something like Regal with real clout and yell for help. Send them a diags package and full description, you should get a reply.

Ma Yun
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2018 08:26 AM      Profile for Ma Yun   Email Ma Yun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

Yes we use 1920 x 1080 resolution for projection. We did send diagnostic package but Barco could't found any fault from there. They are suggest send back ICMP for repair.

We not able to proceed it due to Barco mention warranty over, there will be $9000++ repair charges.

Anyway we able get spare ICMP for testing.

Problem happen around half year ago and bring out by client. My colleague did went down do check. He have found out internal board/part are oxidized due to high humidity environment.

We have send back whole unit to Barco for full service repair.
Recently we have collect back and set up at client site.
When doing testing, we notice SDI and DCP are working fine except HDMI source.

We did feedback issue again to Barco but end up engineer suggest send ICMP back with an unacceptable charges. Besides, they not even confirm fault.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-08-2018 08:59 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, not a real solution, but did you try Displayport? There are active HDMI->Displayport Converters available as well. And Laptops may work through HDMI->HD-SDI Converters as well. That would at least make the client happy.
Would be interesting to find out wether the issue really is humidity/oxidization/corrosion. So, did it work for a while, then the problems started?

I can't find environmental operating condition recommendations for the ICMP beyond temperature. Barco has some Info-Ts regarding contact cleaning, but not specific for the HDMI port.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-08-2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SDI and DCP do not use the "video mezzanine" so it is the likely problem. I haven't taken a good look at one to see if that is a separate assembly that could be resested or repaired alone. I think that as long as you don't disconnect or short the battery or disconnect/open the media block secure enclosure, you can try reseating things in the unit.
Also possibly DP might work.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2018 03:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the projector need a macro assigned to change the color space due to an external source instead of the using the set color space used for JPEG2000 source?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-08-2018 11:02 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ICMP will use REC709 for HDMI when you select HDMI input, but there may be a way to force it to use some other color space... I haven't tried to. It shouldn't be unstable and then blank if you use an incompatible color space, regardless.
DP input was not 100% the last time I tried it, I never did get audio through DP. But... there have been a bunch of software revisions since then and I have not checked lately. I don't carry anything with DP output.

Ma Yun
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2018 11:29 PM      Profile for Ma Yun   Email Ma Yun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last visit I have try use datavideo DAC-9P for SDI input testing on ICMP but somehow it only can support laptop display in extended mode.

If I use laptop display in duplicate mode, it will show white image distortion.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-09-2018 06:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the laptop will activate HDCP in duplicate mode - that's when simple HDMI-SDI converters have to fail. Or the timing/resolution doesn't match any of the ICMPs allowed patterns.
HDMI->DisplayPort will pass through HDCP. There are not many of those converters, don't mix them with cheap passive DisplayPort->HDMI converters. They should cost in the range of 30-50 US$. Sometimes splitters/switches include this conversion as well.

What happens when you connect a DVD/Bluray Player with a short cable to the HDMI input?

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: