Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Computed Hash Error

Author Topic: Computed Hash Error
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 03:38 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While waiting for Deluxe to get back to me.
Yesterday got a DCP of Yellow Submarine. While ingesting froze at 0 for awhile and then ERROR. Try stuff, no good. Deluxe sends a new drive.
Started ingesting new drive. Gets to about 87% and ERROR.
Call Deluxe and they are getting the team on it.
I look at the logs and see the same ERROR at the termination point of both failed ingests:
Exception Error java, security. GeneralSecurityExeption: Computed hash [hash gibberish] does not match hash supplied in packing list.
There are three of these with different computed hash figures.

Can someone tell me what this means? My guess is something wrong with how they encoded the DCP, but if it is something at my end, I'd like to know what to look for.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until further checks, it could be something on your or on their side. Do you have a chance to ingest on another server?

I assume this is a CRU drive - how is it connected to your server?

That said - if the file hashes do not match, Deluxe should be able to verify this within minutes.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 05:16 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The information that has been copied from the disk is checked against a so called hash. This hash is an algorithm that will generate something like a "magic number" from the data it copied. If it doesn't match up with the number provided by the source, it's an indication that the data transfer yielded corrupted data.

This is an indication of either a defective disk or a problem on your local storage. If I remember correctly, you're using a Solaria One with external NAS, aren't you?

Like Carsten already mentioned, is it possible for you to try to ingest this on another machine? If it fails there, it's most likely the disk itself, although receiving two bad disks in a row would be a pretty unlucky coincidence.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 05:47 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Solaria with external server. Single screen, so no other server. CRU with esata ingest. I did try loading a couple of trailers from another drive and that went fine. Waiting to hear back from Christie and Deluxe.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 07:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a hotfix, or firmware update will cure this issue if it's on the operator end. Tech has to do these fixes.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 08:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither Deluxe nor Christie could find anything wrong, so let's hope drive #3 is the charm. Christie did send along a software upgrade, but they don't think that is the problem.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-03-2018 04:18 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up. As neither Deluxe not Christie could find anything wrong, Deluxe sent another drive.
This morning while I was waiting, I decided to try drive #2 again (the one that got to about 87%) before it ERRORed out.
One thing I did before starting the projector was to reboot the NAS.
I ingested the drive with no trouble. I checked the logs and none of the Hash errors and warnings were there for this load.
I don't know if the NAS reboot had anything to do with solving the problem. The RAID is less than half full, and all of the drives appear to be working. It has been maybe 1 or 2 months since I last rebooted, so maybe some junk accumulated.
Anyway, we're going to be onscreen tonight, let's hope there are people to see it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-03-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the nice thing with computers, networks and software, things are so complex and there are so many failure scenarios, you often don't know what's causing the problems.

Rebooting the NAS is actually what I wanted to suggest next. Didn't you have equally strange, seemingly unrelated errors as of late?

I've often seen issues with NASes becoming unresponsive or doing other strange stuff after having previously worked seemingly without issues. Sometimes this is also an indication for a failing disk.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-03-2018 06:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a NAS for one of our houses.

Worked great for four months then back to square one to get content to that server.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-03-2018 06:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A NAS may appear as a simple device, but it runs a full fledged operating system nowadays, and is prone to the occasional hickup, I guess.

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-04-2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last weird error was the dowser not opening, or getting no picture on screen. Hasn't reoccured since it happened.

We have had some ingest problems the occurred in the past. They were usually related to using the esata cable and were resolved by removing the cable and rebooting. Maybe the NAS has something to do with it also. Going to start checking logs and rebooting the NAS more frequently.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-04-2018 06:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty NAS ty.

What a pain in the NAS.

NAS guys finish last.

Ok I'll stop now. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: