Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Isle of Dogs DCP aspect ratio

Author Topic: Isle of Dogs DCP aspect ratio
Max M. Fuhlendorf
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Max M. Fuhlendorf   Email Max M. Fuhlendorf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I work as a projectionist in Brazil. Yesterday I went to see the new Wes Anderson movie, Isle of Dogs and it was horrible. Almost all arthouse screens around here are 2.35:1, with no masking on the sides. The film, according to IMDb, was shot in scope, and it was shown as a scope frame inside a flat 1998x1080 container, with portuguese subtitles kept inside the lower black bar; as such, the film was horribly windowboxed, with almost 45% of the screen area left empty;

I was furious assuming a gross projection error, but upon complaining to the manager was told that it was the film's intended exhibition aspect ratio, including the black bars. I didn't believe the manager as they often know very little about projection standards, and contacted the Warner/Fox joint-venture that distributes the film here. They replied that the manager was correct, and that it was the director's decision (I'm assuming they meant Wes Anderson) that it should be shown this way, a scope frame letterboxed inside a flat container, not only in Brazil but all around the world. These are the official instructions (in portuguese, but you can clearly see the CPL name with FLAT outlined in blue:  -

Does anyone who has seen the film or projected it can confirm this? I find it VERY weird that Anderson would choose this; he is known for playing with multiple aspect ratios in the same film, but in this case the whole film was done in scope, I see no reason why this should be so .

Thanks in advance!
[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-30-2018 05:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the US, the regular version was shown in scope and any version with subtitles/open captions was a flat container with the captions below the image.

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2018 06:21 PM      Profile for Max M. Fuhlendorf   Email Max M. Fuhlendorf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
Here in the US, the regular version was shown in scope and any version with subtitles/open captions was a flat container with the captions below the image.
Thanks for the info!

So it seems this was deliberate: no subtitles allowed on top of the actual image. I'd never seen this kind of release before, it was really weird. And a very poor choice in theaters with scope screens.

I wonder if Wes Anderson himself dictated this.. :/

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've projected both versions of this. The 'Normal' version is 2.39:1, but has subtitles on certain scenes. This means that for the HOH version the HOH subtitles cannot be within the picture area. Therefore the picture, still 2.39, but letterboxed within 1.85. this is not a normal letterbox however, but is offset vertically, with the bottom black bar being about twice as wide as the upper one. The HOH subtitles are located within this lower black area. There is nothing within the top black area, so we had to bring down our top masking to a non-standard position.

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2018 04:33 PM      Profile for Max M. Fuhlendorf   Email Max M. Fuhlendorf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the letterboxed scope image was vertically offset from center, with a much smaller top bar.
Very weird solution.
Translation or HOH subtitles could be positioned outside the film's hardcoded subtitles, to the side for example, and the film could keep it's scope ratio. The way they chose to do it made it pretty much terrible to watch in some screens :/

Jonathan Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2018 06:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Jensen   Email Jonathan Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the exact same situation here in Denmark.
It was quite horrible to look at.
<rant>Just another one of those "what are they thinking" moments to the pile of weird aspect ratios and whatnot... grr!</rant>
I am all about creative freedom, but it feels like the filmmaker doesn't consider/care how the film is projected outside the screening room and specially in foreign countries where subs is normal.
In this case the studio did send a notice with the feature, so I guess they did consider it, but do they really care?

Sure, it gives a clear view of the picture, but at what cost?
A projected image that is much smaller than it could have been on a scope screen.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-02-2018 07:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The international DCP release is so seriously f*cked up that I decided to play the Blu-Ray release which eventually allowed me to have the subtitles inside the screen.

It was a brain-dead decision to burn in subtitles into the movie the first place. And even overlapping subtitles aren't as annoying as this clusterf*ck framing...

Someone should lose their sanity card for this mess-up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: