Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lamp alignment, Y axis issue.

Author Topic: Lamp alignment, Y axis issue.
Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2018 10:58 AM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My co worker changed the lamp (Ushio DXL-40SN2) on our NEC NC2000C a few days ago while I was off work. He mentioned that the lamp alignment needed a lot of tweaking and that I should check it. It seems that the Y axis bolt has been adjusted as much as it will go but the figures suggest that it still needs more adjustment, they still want to climb.

I had a look at the lamp and it does seem to be sitting at an angle, the cathode end is higher than I remember, I've never noticed that before and I've never run out of adjustment on the X,Y,Z bolts.

I want to re seat the lamp (I can't imagine he got it wrong though, he's very capable) to see if it helps but I have to wait for two of us to be here due to health and safety rules.

As far as I can tell the picture seems fine, but I've never come across this before. Is this familiar to any of you?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-25-2018 06:55 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've encountered at least one NEC in which the height of the stand that holds the cathode end of the bulb is adjustable, and is clamped in place by a grub screw. Is it possible that it could have slipped, with the result that the bulb is now pointing downhill?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-26-2018 12:09 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the anode end is sitting too high for some reason, otherwise the folding mirror may have been moved somehow?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2018 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this happened right at the lamp change, I don't suspect the projector. Quick check, rotate the lamp 180 degrees and re-align. If it changes a lot, then the lamp is clearly out of round (electrodes with respect to the stems) and a warranty defect should be claimed. If the light is similar, then something is indeed amiss.

For one, DON'T use the NEC light meter. It will mislead you. Put up a white pattern and adjust for it to be as bright AND as even as possible. You can use the meter after that, often but even then what it says is best is more often than not worse than by eye and external meter.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-26-2018 10:44 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry; I meant to write anode end (not cathode) above.

Agreed on the NEC auto alignment tool - if you follow its numbers, you'll end up with a humongous hot spot. The Barco one is an order of magnitude better.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I'll rotate the lamp and see what happens.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rotating and re seating the lamp sorted everything out. There's plenty of room left on each of the axis adjustments now, I'm feeling much happier about it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Agreed on the NEC auto alignment tool - if you follow its numbers, you'll end up with a humongous hot spot. The Barco one is an order of magnitude better.
Yeah, Barco got the light meter right as well as allowing one to have separate files for each format (lens zoom). Christie got the auto lamp alignment right (Barco takes forever and is often worse than just doing it by hand). NEC...well...one gets to relive the sloppiness of the old Christie H console adjustments. All they need to do is use nylon gears that disintegrated under the UV light from the xenon to make it complete.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: