Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issues with DCP Validator (Ubuntu 14.04)

Author Topic: Issues with DCP Validator (Ubuntu 14.04)
Whitney Miller
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Whitney Miller   Email Whitney Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to these forums, and this is my first post. I've done some lurking before and found some answers which have certainly saved me in a few situations, but now I'm at a point that it doesn't seem most people have had an issue with.

My booth has a variety of tech stations with various operating systems, with one dedicated Ubuntu machine (14.04 LTS) primarily for DCP creation and inspection. For the longest time, we used the Terminal command dcp_inspect to validate DCPs, typically for festivals, but a few months ago discovered the GUI for this, DCP Validator, graciously created by zweiB out of Germany [https://www.zweib.com/portfolio/medienproduktion/dcp-validator/]. It's basically the same exact process, but wrapped up in a nice interface for very, very simple inspections, and it processes everything into a PDF for easy viewing.

My issue now is that somewhere along the line, it got broken. I was gone for a few weeks and came back to it being completely unresponsive. The process connects via http://localhost:8080 and even after multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, my browser won't allow the connection. I will admit, I'm not the most savvy with Ubuntu, as pretty much every time I need to do something on this OS I have to research what commands to use and how to install packages, but I've gotten by this long and now I've hit a roadblock with this situation, as it doesn't seem like many others have come across this issue before.

If anyone with some solid Ubuntu experience can help me out, that would be incredible. We have a festival coming up in a couple of months and I want to have this back to fully functional by the time content starts rolling in. If there's anymore technical specifications you'll need from me, please let me know.

Even if you can't help, thanks for reading all of this and being on this forum. It's really a great resource.

-W

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2018 12:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a regular Ubuntu user (my current preferred distribution is CentOS), but I can offer a few possibilities for what would cause this:

- the web server is not running, or not running on the correct port (or something else is running on that port and starting first)

- a software firewall is preventing access to the web server

Check the log files (likely in /var/log) for the web server and turn off any software firewalls. Make sure that the web server is running. You could also try turning off SELinux, if that is enabled by default in Ubuntu. (And, in making these suggestions, I am making the assumption that this machine is not connected directly to the Internet or any other untrusted networks.)

If you type "telnet localhost 8080" from a terminal, do you get a "connection refused" error or something else? (You may need to install telnet in order to test this.)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: