Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » IMS1000 sync to NTP server

Author Topic: IMS1000 sync to NTP server
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have install TMS server (Cinedigital) in the projection booth and installed on that computer Meinberg NTP software and configure that computer to be local NTP server for the servers in projection booth.

Then i take the TMS ip address (that communicate with the screening servers) and i did put this ip adress in the NTP settings of the IMS1000 gui. And i hit next and it works, it can connect and it says "The Offset is -6 seconds" since this this IMS1000 server have the clock manually adjusted and the IMS clock is now 6 sec to soon. So when the IMS clock is 03:07:12 the actual correct clock on the TMS computer is 03:07:06.

However i did save this ip adress there in the gui since i want the IMS to get the time from the TMS.
But even when the IMS1000 server can connect to this NTP server the IMS is not actually using it for some reason?
I have save the new ip adress of this local NTP server in the gui and resart the server and the projector but the NTP server setting on the gui still says "Last synchronisation date: Sunday, 25 Jan 2015 06:25:12 (03 years, 05 months, 23 days, 08 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds ago)"
So yes, this IMS have been with manually adjusted clock for ower 3 years and 5 months but now i want to start use this TMS server.
Here is print screen of the NTP server and here you can see the TMS is NTP server and it works if i click "Test" But as you can see it is long time since this this IMS server did sync to TMS server.
https://ibb.co/dd5Fwy

Here is then the Date and time settings, since i am in Iceland on the Greenwich Mean Time i have this time zone selected.
https://ibb.co/izPQwy

Do anybody here know what i need to do so the IMS will actually sync itself to the TMS servers clock?
It can connect when i hit "Test" but does not sync to it.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-17-2018 10:46 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the root password for the server you can force a media block secure RTC NTP sync with
sh /doremi/sbin/ntpwrap.sh
This will show whether it fails or succeeds. Note you must log in to a terminal window with a "normal" login before becoming root via su as you can't directly log in as root.

The server does NTP sync on boot and then periodically. I don't know much more than this, questions remain: does it adjust the RT clock to reduce drift? does it check NTP server authority and only accept stratum-1 or -2 servers? No idea.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: