Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lamp On, Dowser Open, No Picture

Author Topic: Lamp On, Dowser Open, No Picture
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 08:31 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solaria One
First show ran fine. Second show with a slightly different playlist that should not have affected anything, the trailers ran fine, but when it changed to the feature, there was no picture (not sure about sound as there is a long silent opening).
Lamp was on and dowser was open and the file was playing.
We stopped and loaded the film, no playlist. Still no picture.
Reloaded the first show playlist and jumped to the feature. Still nothing.
Shut down the lamp and after it finished cooling, rebooted the projector (we have a very patient audience). Reloaded the first playlist, jumped to feature and everything ran fine.
Just one of those digital things or the sign of something getting ready to go?
Projectionist will inspect the second playlist after the show. It is just a copy of the first with a shutdown command at the end.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 11:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Valid keys? If the keys are not valid, some servers will allow previous content in the SPL to play until the locked content comes up, then playback stops.

Others will freeze a SPL completely from playing. The ICMP for Barco does this.

I’ll share my experience today: new tent pole feature. Starts okey, plays Preshow and trailer content fine, but when the feature hits, the image goes enlarged and squeezed. All my cues are good. Thus, switch the projector to Flat 3D and the image goes normal. I’m not playing any Flat 3D content.

I had to completely rebuild my SPLs for this tent pole feature, with correct cues and all. Ingested the new SPL to the assigned houses and redid the scheduler for this updated series. All went fine afterwards.

I blamed the digital ghosts on this one

Friday the 13th hit us hard today.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 09:45 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Key valid. Ghosts in the machine? We'll see what happens this evening.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 10:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not claiming this is your problem, but I've seen similar behavior when the NAS decided to get wonky because of a failed disk. It only happened at this particular feature, probably because the feature was on an affected block.

Instead of ejecting the defective disk from the NAS, it decided to hang on, making NFS unbearably slow and sometimes totally unresponsive (the hallmarks of software RAID...). Unfortunately, the Solaria didn't handle it gracefully either, it tried to start the feature, but there was no picture.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A potential problem with the ICP in version 4.2 and beyond is it will put the mirrors into a grey state for protection. I forget, exactly, when this should happen but the net result wll be no picture and what you will see is some light coming out as it is projecting a grey pattern.

One thing I use as a troubleshooting tool is to load a test pattern (any DLP projector). if that pattern comes up, you've just eliminated half the signal path as the problem isn't the ICP on out.

If you then clear the test pattern and the image is there, the problem was the ICP when into this grey state. If it isn't, on a Christie, I'd then try loading a different channel (say flat instead of scope) or switch between a DVI port and the server to force the projector to reload all of the settings that should create the signal path you need.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 12:38 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disks are probably due for a fail, but it did eventually play.
Went dark after we changed aspect ratio's, so that could be the culprit. We didn't think to check if anything was coming out.
Wait, watch and see what happens.

Arnold Chase
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2018 09:49 PM      Profile for Arnold Chase   Email Arnold Chase   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any experience with Series 1 projectors, but when I had a similar thing happen to me with my Series 2 (Lamp was on and dowser was open and the file was playing), but nothing on the screen, I found that the wrong channel file had been selected, which had the projector looking for a different video input source.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On certain Christie machines we actually have had dowsers that quit working in the shut position(down). If you look at the way they are designed, it's backwards.If the dowser malfunctions and quits working it's in the shut or down position, so you are screwed. Why could'nt they have designed them to be opposite? Up is shut and down is open? That way if they malfunction, at least your show can still play......

We fixed this by removing the dowsers altogether.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: