Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Push KDM to Dolby DSS server?

Author Topic: Push KDM to Dolby DSS server?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Doremi servers, there are documented ways to push software, content, KDMs etc. for automatic ingest through ftp.

Can you also push a KDM to a Dolby DSS 100/200/220 in a similar way?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2018 12:55 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use FTP into the DSS and load the keys. Works fine with my DSS200 and DSS100.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 01:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you can upload them zipped or unzipped.

If you load them while the cat862 is playing, it won't process them until after playback has finished. If it's a cat745-based system and you upload them while the projector is off, it won't process them until the projector is on and the IMB has booted up (obviously). I heard something about the cat745 now being able to process new incoming KDMs during playback with the more recent software versions, but with either media block, don't be alarmed if the KDM doesn't show up immediately if you upload during playback.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2018 05:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...and if they are connected in a Dolby fashion (using the Dolby "TMS" mode...You can send all of the keys to any server or the DSL and they will find their way to the appropriate server...even all zipped up.

It is, by FAR the easiest to ingest keys on...via FTP. The only sucky thing, as Leo pointed out, on a CAT745 system, it doesn't take the keys if the CAT745 is off.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2018 10:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're backwards, Leo.

The CAT862 CAN ingest KDMs during playback with later firmware.
The CAT745 CANNOT.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-19-2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin. I remember something in a version's release notes about adding an ingest KDMs while playing feature, but couldn't remember which of the two media block models it applied to. In any case, I'd be very cagey about trying it, or advising customers to try it, simply because if you're asking the media block to do two things at once, the chances of something bad happening during a show increase. Same as with ingestion during playback - only do it if you absolutely have to.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-20-2018 05:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a Dolby DSS server, it can do any two things without fear. That is, you can play while ingest; transfer while playing; transfer while ingesting. You can do three things (play, ingest and transfer) but your likelihood of having an issue skyrockets. Unlike other servers, ingest speed isn't affected too adversely just because it is playing a movie.

As for KDMs..a CAT862 will take keys just fine during a show...a CAT745 doesn't take them though I think in 4.9 it will now hold them until the show it is over and then take them in.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-21-2018 10:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
On a Dolby DSS server, it can do any two things without fear. That is, you can play while ingest; transfer while playing; transfer while ingesting.
None of those operations require the media block or IMB to multitask (assuming the ingestion is of DCP content, not KDMs): just the server. Processing an incoming KDM during playback is asking the media block to do two things at once, which I'd speculate increases the chance of a playback glitch. Admittedly the increase is from "if Hell freezes over" to "if Hell gets a little chilly," but I'd still be inclined only to do it if you really have to; for example, if a show is running and you need confirmation that a KDM is OK before a mom-and-pop distributor in another timezone goes home for the night in 20 minutes' time.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-21-2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a LOT of CAT862 systems out there. I've NEVER and I mean NEVER have heard of even one glitch from key ingestion during playback. But you should do what you are comfortable with. For those customers that don't have a 3rd party TMS, they seem to ingest keys when they get them. For those with a TMS, the TMS schedules keys and all other transfers during non-show times.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-22-2018 09:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Playback' may sound as a single task, but in fact, there is so much traffic going back and forth between server and mediablock during playback (content, logs, subtitles,,etc) , exchanging a minute data structure as a KDM while playback doesn't add much. These systems are built to do many things at the same time, and even if modern TMS may schedule transfers between shows, these systems still need to support the three major tasks simultaneously. We never had a single issue on our Sony and Barco playing, ingesting content and KDMs at the same time..If necessary, they are setup to throttle non-realtime tasks down in order to not affect playback if RAID bandwidth becomes a bottleneck . Yes, of course, hardware raid helps.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-22-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the volume/bandwidth of data transfer I'm worried about (as you point out, at a few kilobytes, a KDM is almost nothing), but the processing operation of reading the KDM, figuring out if it's valid for that media block, is the correct CPL loaded and valid, etc. etc. If it's trying to do that while playing a 250 MBPS, dual projector 3-D DCP (admittedly, that's an absolute worst case scenario), I'd be worried about overloading the media block's processing power.

I'm not trying to suggest that it's a huge risk, only that's it's one I wouldn't want to take if I don't have to.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-22-2018 02:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSS220, with a software RAID, pretty much ingests at full speed and plays back without issue. It didn't start that way though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: