Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » BARCO ICMP - Transport buttons

Author Topic: BARCO ICMP - Transport buttons
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 04:27 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an idea what BARCO has in mind with the transport buttons on the ICMP?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2018 07:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Care to clarify your question some?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2018 08:56 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could read minds, I'd be in a totally different business.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-13-2018 10:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just interested why they are there and when/how they'd become functional.

Oops, and I was unclear, of course, they are not ON the ICMP itself, but on the keypad of the DP2K-10S and DP2K-6E - but I'd expect them to work with the ICMP.

See them here (unlit) bottom right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tCRXZPbFA

There are similar buttons on the NEC NC900/NC1000 button panel:

https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/download/cp/Products/DigitalCinemaProjectors/Products/SupportedProducts/NC900C/Media/Highres/JPG-Picture-NC900C-ProjectorDetailViewConnections-highres.jpg

'Future use', I know that phrase, but what does it mean for products that have already been phased out like the NC900C?

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 12:16 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can only guess what the supposed purpose of those buttons is.

I think in both cases they might have expected some basic content playback capabilities to become available in the base firmware of the projector. Barco sells some of those units also as non-DCI projectors for example, were it could make even more sense to have some basic playback capabilities built into the firmware.

In the future they might be able to link those to the ICMP, which would give some basic functionality to those otherwise dead buttons. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 07:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why for now they are not making them available as generic GPI?

And of course my hope was that a specific person would chime in with an educated guess ;-)

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 09:55 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
I'm wondering why for now they are not making them available as generic GPI?
Maybe because then somebody like you will come along, build some stuff based on the GPIs of those buttons, only to see it break after the next firmware update. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 10:11 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean that's the reason we see so few GPIOs on cinema gear in general? [beer]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-14-2018 10:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And because they don't work so well... a senior Barco person advised me to not try and use them.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-15-2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They work nicely, the trouble is, they take undefined states during projector/ICMP boot up, so, the electronics behind them needs to filter these spurious events out.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-14-2018 06:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Tom seems to be back from his holidays...??? [eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-16-2018 06:05 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They work nicely"... nope. Action linking is not reliable. Link a GPO to something like "lamp on" and it works... sometimes.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-17-2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should all place a bet on what they're for and those who loose have to pay for a crate of Belgian beer for Tom? [beer]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-17-2018 08:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we know what they are for, it is written in the manual. The question is, how/when can they be used ;-)

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: