Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC TMS New Versions Software Released

Author Topic: GDC TMS New Versions Software Released
Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2018 06:15 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we update New version of GDC TMS Version 4.2.2220,
The new version include Template based Playlist creation, Auto KDM Inject via Email and more, Anybody used the new version ? , kindly share your experience
Thanks .

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-10-2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I have one customer who has had serious issues with the existing version, because it keeps crashing when trying to transfer content to a Barco Alchemy (it interacts with the other servers - DSS200s - just fine). We've done many hours of troubleshooting and head scratching on this one. Looking forward to trying this update - thanks for the heads up.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2018 06:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think most of the GDC TMS units are still running 4.1.8100, but thx for the info.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-12-2018 08:07 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really doesn't seem to play nice with Alchemy.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2018 10:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just mentioned this to our IT guru, who builds and configures our TMS systems at the shop (before I go out to install them in the field). Apparently, he has already rolled out the update to the theater (remotely) that was complaining of repeated crashes when the GDC TMS interacted with an Alchemy, and there have been no further fault reports after the update was done.

That's a major relief, if so: apart from Theater Command Center, the GDC TMS is the only one I know of that can deal with Alchemies and other models of screen server in the same theater. If this update has made that more stable, that's good news.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-13-2018 10:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Dolby's TMS now or will shortly work with the Alchemy (ICMP).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2018 05:56 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news if so, because of all the TMS systems I've installed and serviced, the Dolby one is far and away the easiest and most intuitive for theater managers to learn, and (if running on a DSL100 or 200, at any rate) the most stable. However, the annual per-screen licensing fee makes it a tough sell compared to the competitors that go for a one-time fee.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2018 08:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GDC TMS License isn't exactly free, although the bi-yearly charges for it are certainly minimal. It's fee is mainly to support the Software Writers and Tech Support in case you have any problems.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2018 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, it would be starting with TMS5. I don't, currently, use Dolby TMS so I don't have direct user experience but I did hear that the ICMP will be one of the, if not the first of the 3rd party server integrations.

I don't know if any TMS (aside from Show Manager, which isn't so much of a TMS as joining independent servers together) that doesn't have some sort of annual fee. I don't doubt that there are some out there though. With a TMS, the software IS the product so I can see charging some sort of fee in order to maintain/update it. That said, if one doesn't want to upgrade (ever), there shouldn't need to be an annual fee. But, if you do want to upgrade, you should have to buy the next version as a new customer too. Something has to cover the software costs to develop.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: