Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Advice for Speeding Up Hollywood Software TCC Client?

Author Topic: Advice for Speeding Up Hollywood Software TCC Client?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-06-2018 09:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone using the Hollywood Software (formerly Cinedigm) TCC client, do you know of anything that can be done to make it work faster? I'm not talking about the software on the actual LMS computer, but the desktop software on my office computer.

One of the biggest annoyances with this software is how long it takes to build a playlist. When dragging clips to the playlist it can take 30-45 seconds for each clip to process. This is a substantial amount of time when you have to change out 7-8 ads on multiple different playlists.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-06-2018 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? I don't know what you are referring to.

It has been pretty darn speedy for us. Perhaps you are referring to when selecting content for Ads/Trailers? If so, check how far back it is looking and limit it to a more realistic time (90-days or less). If it is set to something like 300 days or so, then yes, it has to go through and build the list of everything you've ever had in the last year.

If you are referring to just the client, then I definitely don't get it. It is as fast on the various computers I've run it as on the live TMS (and I've run it on particularly slow computers like those with "Atom" processors.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-06-2018 10:12 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking about the drag and drop from the content list to the segment package. It is significantly faster when doing it on the actual LMS, but it is painfully slow on the client.

It does take a long time to build the content list, and the look back makes sense. Unfortunately it has to be set for a pretty long period because otherwise some of our policy clips won't show up. That being said, I am pretty good about deleting old content, so virtually everything but those policy clips are relatively recent.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2018 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you do have a gigabit connection from the TMS to your desktop...

I also assume your desktop is adaquate to handle the job. I have seen so many manager computers that are just bare bones pieces of crap that I ran out of fingers counting them. It ought to be at least 3 GHZ quad core and a minimum of 8 gigs of RAM. 12 to 16 GB would be better as would a six core processor.

Mark

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2018 10:37 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run into this and would suggest either adding the policy clips as markers to your show template(s) so that TCC adds them in automatically or creating a dummy "template" trailer/ad pack that contains the common policy clips. You can then carryover that pack each week and create new trailer/ad packs from the template so as to not need to dig back in the database and fish out old content each week. Definitely set the 'Content ingested in last _ days' display options parameter to 180 days or less on the trailer/ad placement screens for best results.

Harshitkumar Thakker
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Harshitkumar Thakker   Email Harshitkumar Thakker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under the "Display Options" link at the top right corner of the Add Content screen, keep the "Content Ingested in the last" to as short as possible. I used to keep that at 500 or more days to add some old policy clips and that made it very slow. Changing this number to 180 days was a substantial improvement. The lower the number, the faster it will work. In order to still use the old policy clips, I just made a trailer pack and everytime I needed to use those old clips, I built a new pack using the "New from Record.." button and all those policy clips would be there in the new pack.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-09-2018 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jason on this. If you have Policy clips, build them into the templates. In more recent TCC variants, putting in content markers is pretty easy and they'll be where you want them in your templates so you no longer would have to add them in a "pack."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: