Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alchemy - Atmos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Alchemy - Atmos
Christopher Pettersen
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2018 06:41 AM      Profile for Christopher Pettersen   Email Christopher Pettersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there!

Just wanted to hear if anyone can share their experience of playing ATMOS features on Barco`s Alchemy.

In January we completed a 14 Audiotorium Cineplex all Barcos-23BLP with Alchemy and CP850.
As is was a huge project we had Barco helping us out with the installation.
Since launch there is constantly issues with Atmos features,

-Alchemys crash upon load of playlist
-Random dropp of connection between CP850 and ICMP
-3 out of 5 shows has a sudden delay of 3-5msec.
-Projector becomes uresponsive upon ATMOS "link negotiation" if you`re lucky it won`t crash.
-Loading of playlist takes around 30sec.

All of these issues can be solved by selecting disable Immersive sound in the ICMP.
Barco and Dolby have now been working for 3 months figuring this out. I also hear "rumors" that other cinemas is experiencing the same.

Is atmos running fine on your site? If so what version of the ICMP are you running?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-04-2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can 3-5ms delay be an issue for you? Unless you mean seconds.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2018 03:46 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one over here (so far). A DP4K-19B where I replaced a DSS220/Cat745 with an ICMP.
It didn't behave very well with Atmos tracks in the beginning. Since ICMP ver. 1.3.3.1 my phone has been relatively quiet. I don't think Atmos crapped out entirely since the update.
I think most trouble has been the need for double KDM:s (one for the feature and another for the Atmos track)-
/M.E.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-04-2018 04:44 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent ICMP update deals with ATMOS instability, I don't know wether it cures all issues.

- Carsten

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2018 01:25 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Christopher: what version are you running?
/M.E.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2018 01:58 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a bug on the CP850 (since early 2018) that causes a connection drop with ICMP. Dolby has a beta fix being field test (successfully) for over a month.

It is best that you reach out to your local Dolby contact to get that beta package (should be released soon)

Tacky Ting
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2018 02:23 AM      Profile for Tacky Ting   Author's Homepage   Email Tacky Ting   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICMP v1.3.3.4
Improve the JNior client behavior so that all input signals can be triggered without sending an output first
Reduce the polling frequency of the CPL and KDM validation between ICMP and CP850 in order to increase the reliability of the communication between those two devices
Improve “Play Now” reliability to avoid a ICMP crash
Display Port are now working after an ICMP update (fix on the EDID)
Special characters are now supported in show titles

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-05-2018 02:57 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen similar issues with the latest CP850 software. The solution for us was to roll-back to the previous version.

Also, it looks like Tom Bert got hold on a temporary fix from Dolby, maybe you should mention this topic to get some leeway with them and hand-over the pre-release build to you.

quote: Marco Giustini
How can 3-5ms delay be an issue for you? Unless you mean seconds.
Some people are just very impatient. [Razz]

Christopher Pettersen
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Pettersen   Email Christopher Pettersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there and thank you for the replies!

As i can see so far i am not alone..

When it comes to the CP850 firmware i have a fresh dev package from may. (cp850-upgrade-2.3.0.3-4582574-dev-barco)
Nevertheless it did not do the trick.
We where on version 1.3.3.2 but around march they rolled it back as they thought it was part of our issue. Then Barco tech`s arrived and did a rollback of our ICMP`s.

I know that they have released 1.3.3.4 as Tacky mention, but will wait for confirmation on that i should try it.

Sorry for the confusion about the delay but it`s about 0.3-1sec delay randomly that instantly magically disappears when you disable Atmos. [uhoh]

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried 1.3.3.4 with CP850?
I don't want to be first since I'm going on vacation next week...
/M.E.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 06:41 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the SW version of the CP850 with the fix (it runs smooth in our test lab and with field beta users): 2.3.0.3.4595940

Tacky Ting
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Tacky Ting   Author's Homepage   Email Tacky Ting   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any actual experience with the CP850? The delay is 30 minutes.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2018 08:12 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So: is CP850 ver 2.3.0.3.4595940 and ICMP ver 1.3.3.4 a successful combo?
The setup in Sweden mentioned above was unable to play Atmos yesterday. A reboot of the CP850 fixed the issue.
/M.E.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-11-2018 08:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A german operator with ICMP and CP850 confirmed that they downgraded the CP850 to a previous version (2.3.0.2-443922) and since then have no issues. Wondering why this is not offered as a solution until waters have calmed? Is there something in the recent CP850 software releases that is exceptionally important?

That site also took other cautionary measures that may have been recommended to them by others:

- not filling up ICMP RAID to more than 70% (possible bandwitdh/throughput issue)
- only ingest those KDMs that are absolutely necessary to play specific ATMOS content

Currently, they are glad it works and not keen to evaluate which of those measures could be a sole solution.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-11-2018 01:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're at ICMP v1.3.3.4 and 2.3.0.2-443922 in our screening room. We're not doing a lot of Atmos, but it is relatively stable with this combination. If you're running multiple Atmos shows a day, I'd always on the lookout for potential trouble... We know that Barco and Dolby are competitors on next-gen sound, but they really should do some better cross-testing of their software releases.

It's supposed to be plug-and-play, maybe it will work this way with the IMS3000. [Smile] Then again, I like the Alchemy better than the rebagged Doremi stuff...

As a side note: We reboot our CP850 every night, the thing is not your good old hardware processor anymore, it's primarily a bunch of software running on PC hardware. I've seen the thing becoming unresponsive after prolonged uptime, probably due to a few memory leaks...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: