Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NATO sound volume study results (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NATO sound volume study results
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2018 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many have seen this, but I found it quite interesting. There is apparently a growing discussion on whether to revisit trailer and feature sound levels, especially considering the last time it was evaluated was before digital projection was the norm.

-

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-01-2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my "feature" cue set to crank up the volume as well as cranking down the lights. If I play a trailer at the same volume as the feature it'll blow you out of the room.

Are they supposed to be recorded at the same volume? They certainly aren't.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-01-2018 03:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I still to this day at locations I oversee run trailers at 3.5 to 4 on the fader and features at 6.5 to 7 on the fader. (For a sold-out house, 7.5 is common for the feature.) Yes there are exceptions, but for the most part that works well on almost all content. It is a VERY RARE occurrence for a volume complaint.

Digital changed nothing. Those are the same typical settings I used back with film.

I think the bigger issue is the field techs these days are not doing a very good job calibrating the systems and the end result is harsh-sounding so the fader has to be lowered to stop complaints. Then you have Atmos systems of which most are "auto-EQ'd" which hurts the potential playback volume as well.

Christian Lerch
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2018 10:00 AM      Profile for Christian Lerch   Email Christian Lerch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where has this article by John Fithian been published, please?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article was in the NATO President's Report which is confidential to members, but the survey results are available on the NATO website, so that's why I only posted the header.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2018 02:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing makes me laugh! NATO or someone similar has done this study before in the early 2000's only to conclude that trailers were too loud. So they set a new standard back then and trailers levels climb even louder. What a joke! It's why Digital Cinema Systems can adjust auditorium levels on a per cue basis today.

Mark

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2018 03:39 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad nails it: it's the poor tuning of rooms causing the biggest issue. A major chain who will remain nameless is notorious for running everything extremely quiet except their premium large format houses. I have not heard what I would call good sound in one of their auditoriums in a very very long time.

All that survey seems to prove is that very few people are doing anything right when it comes to sound.

I can get superior sound at home and that should not be the case.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For trailers, it isn't poor tuning. For loud features...it really depends on who mixes the movie, what equipment you are using and how well it was tuned.

I have a customer that primarily runs "art" movies and at one site, the consistently run the volume in the 6-7 range whereas it is closer to 4.5 in most of their other theatres. The difference is JUST the speakers (and room acoustics, of course). The room that has the higher volume level has better speakers than the other ones. Not that they have bad speakers anywhere it is just that some speakers (QSC SC-423/SC-424) will not sound as offensive run run louder than others.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2018 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers are very highly compressed... way too compressed. Everything on trailers is at the same blasted level.

Mark

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2018 02:10 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of a single instance in the last five years or so where the audio levels were too low on anything except when I saw "Blade Runner 2049" and was stuck sitting in the last row. The trailers are almost always louder than the feature, but even the features are usually absurdly loud. I think this is partially because I've been seeing more films during the day now that I have the time and the theaters are empty. With a full audience, especially in the winter when everyone brings heavy coats, the levels are probably okay.

I finally remembered to bring a sound meter with me and for "Solo", I believed there was constant peaks at 102dba (in a Dolby theater), but that doesn't really mean anything because it's the length of those 102dba peaks that matters.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-28-2018 06:19 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have much better ways to measure and control mastering levels to spec nowadays. Digital FullScale and LEQ(m) are sharper knives than pre-existing methods. However, digital systems allow for higher overall levels (e.g. full range signals in surrounds). I played BladeRunner2049 a good bit louder (6.5 vs. 5.5 on our AP20) than our usual feature level, simply because it was so much fun. I announced this before the feature started, and offered to be at the exit for any complaints. I am not nuts, but I am strictly against setting 'comfort levels'. Recently I sat in an arthouse movie with my father who complained about the loudness of some initial score elements. I told him to shut up and watch the movie ;-)
Our preshow and trailers always play at 4.5.
Cant' say there is a real problem, we certainly have fewer complaints now than we had in 35mm days. Probably because now we always adjust between trailers and feature per SPL cue. Before, it was left to staff with the auditorium fader (no automatic reset), and that was no solid solution.

While one can certainly question our 4.5/5.5 standard procedure, I watch most movies we show, and in most cases, it fits. Only once or twice a year we get a DCP with levels that fail completely, either because levels are too low, or too hot.
If that happens unnoticed during the first showing, we usually get a complaint to staff or by email afterward - but only if people felt it was too loud. We never had a complaint about a showing being too soft, which is compliant with all studies being done on the topic. As long as people understand important dialogue, they don't consider it too soft, even if it is.

All that said - we nearly exclusively play dubbed movies, and very often the sound balance of these is far from the original movie. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-28-2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One casualty of running the fader lower than reference are the surrounds. Presuming one calibrated the room right, the surrounds, which rarely are the cause of complaints because they are too loud will be brought down right with the rest when the fader is lowered to 5.5 (about -5.0dB, if you're one of "those" people), you brought the surrounds down by 5dB too and then I get complaints about them being too soft. In theatres were the fader can comfortably live closer to 7.0 (0.0dB), the surrounds sound much fuller.

I don't think it is the volume level that people are complaining about it is the "pain" level, which are not one and the same though one can lead to the other. However, what people DO know is if you turn the volume down, the "pain" will go with it. For the purposes of this discussion, pain referring to not just a physical pain but as a perceived assault on their eardrums.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-28-2018 10:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know these absolute numbers do not mean much within a common tolerance range. I see some cinemas setting their CP750 as low as 3.6. I have never seen these numbers on other non-Dolby processors, but that doesn't mean it isn't done on USLs or AP20 in certain installations as well.

There is a slightly disturbing report on mastering levels vs. Dolby fader 7 here:

http://www.associationdesmixeurs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/NIVEAU-DE-MIXAGE-CINEMA.pdf

Two major points in it seem to be - some mixers actually use hearing protection during their work, and, more and more big screen content is mastered on rather small near-field monitoring systems.

- Carsten

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This even pisses me off at home. Streaming from Amazon is at much higher audio levels than Netflix. It's always been an issue even with vinyl recordings. My bet is that there has been one "standard" after another and none have been acceptable to the content suppliers. The joke with standards has always been that the trouble with them is that there are so many to choose from.

Add to that the ulterior marketing motive where they think that somehow a higher audio level, brighter picture and more active screen content is more efficiently burned into your brain.

Well... I doubt there is any solution to this other than to dynamically adjust volume levels for different material as best that you can (according to your own standard of comfort). My point being that there is no solution.

I thought THX had a grip on it. For a while my audio settings for Blu-Ray disks had been consistent. That hasn't been the case for the past 2 or 3 years. I've been thinking that Dolby has come along and disrupted things.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-04-2018 01:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rarely impressed with movie theater sound these days.

It's not for a lack of technology. Really cinema sound should be better than ever considering the kind of audio material being provided: usually 24-bit 48kHz uncompressed Linear PCM audio in 5.1 or 7.1 channel layouts. The more elaborate sound formats (Atmos, DTS:X) use no lossy data compression; it's all lossless compressed or a combination of lossless and uncompressed data. All of this is technically better than the data lossy digital sound formats from the 1990's. And it should be at least equal if not better than the magnetic audio formats from the 1970's and '80's. Nevertheless too many movie theaters have sound quality that falls in the range between "decent" and "meh."

Obviously it's the human beings at various stages of the process who are messing up the situation.

I suspect various types of dynamics compression are being applied to elements in the movie's sound mix, if not applied globally to the entire thing. Much of the music industry has been afflicted by the disease of dynamics compression over-use for over 20 years. I suspect the philosophy has been creeping into the movie industry over the past 10-15 years. The sound is being tailored more to the limits of tiny speakers in TV sets, sound bars and mobile devices. That comes at a cost of movie sound having less of the startling dynamics many of us enjoyed when digital sound was first becoming a thing in movie theaters during the early 1990's. Now every element in the mix is loud or not.

I think a lot of commercial movie theaters have sound systems with limited capabilities (cheaper, less powerful speakers and amplifiers, fewer sub-bass enclosures, etc). I think the greater cubic air volumes of taller, stadium seated rooms require a different approach. To me it looks like the speaker configurations are really no different than that of a standard sloped room of decades past. The tiny surround array speakers are just going up the walls diagonally now.

We don't have anything like THX or something similar guiding commercial theaters to confirm to certain quality standards. I think they're installing what's deemed good enough to get the job done. I'm not sure what to think of Cinemark re-purposing the THX brand onto its XD screens. I'm not getting the vibe it's very legit at all.

quote: Aaron Garman
A major chain who will remain nameless is notorious for running everything extremely quiet except their premium large format houses. I have not heard what I would call good sound in one of their auditoriums in a very very long time.
I strongly suspect the AMC locations in my region do this. But I also think other theater chains use the tactic as well. Pay extra to see the movie on an IMAX-branded screen or Dolby Cinema house and you'll hear some surround activity and bombast. Watch the show in a standard-priced house and the audio will have character hardly any better than TV set speakers back home. Decent surround sound is being transformed into a premium item. Maybe the bean counters want the sound run lower in the standard-priced houses because it might translate into less wear and tear on the sound systems.

It also takes a caring theater staff to notice and fix problems with the sound systems. That has always been an issue that set good and bad theaters apart from each other. Even if the theater has good staff and management I can't help but think their hands are tied in some way.

We can't leave out the customers who insist on the sound being turned down to ordinary volume levels. I think that factor has affected the IMAX-branded screen at our local AMC theater. When Carmike first opened the Patriot 13 the IMAX-branded house had sound levels that were fairly hot. It's definitely a few decibels lower now.

A couple days ago a co-worker brought up Jurassic Park because of the new movie and the original recently marking 25 years since it was released. I haven't seen the latest sequel; I still like the original the most. One reason is the memory of seeing it for the first time on the GCC Northpark #1 THX screen in Dallas. The audio was lossy compressed DTS, but the theater's sound system was so well-tuned and had such powerful dynamics I couldn't help but be blown away by it -right from the rib-rattling drum beats of the JP opening title card. It takes some beastly power for a sound system in a 1000+ seat room to pound the air in your chest. For all the raw power music sounded excellent in that room too. Some of the IMAX-branded theaters can deliver loud audio and strong sub-bass. But in terms of tone and overall quality those sound systems are harsh compared what was in the GCC Northpark 1-2.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: