Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby IMS3000 non atmos playback sound questions

Author Topic: Dolby IMS3000 non atmos playback sound questions
Jesper Meng
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2018 04:18 PM      Profile for Jesper Meng   Author's Homepage   Email Jesper Meng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) I can not use the internal soundprocessor with the AES output, does it have to have the Atmos license? Or is it special routing?

2) Anyone using the Aes67 output with 'non dolby' equipment such as dante input?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-31-2018 04:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can use the RJ45 AES outputs to send regular DCP channels 1 through 16 out of the IMS3000, without an Atmos license. Without the license, it behaves like a regular IMB/IMS AES audio output pair, but with one gotcha.

The gotcha is that if you need to change the channel routing to something non-standard (for example, route 7 and 8 on the DCP to 15 and 16 out, and 11 and 12 on the DCP to 7 and 8 out in order to use the 1-8 cable for 7.1 and hooking the 9-16 cable straight into a HI/VI device), you have to use Dolby Atmos Designer to do it, and then upload the profile into the IMS3000. The IMS2000 has a quick and easy page in the web UI to re-route channels if you need to; the 3000 doesn't.

Jesper Meng
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2018 04:31 PM      Profile for Jesper Meng   Author's Homepage   Email Jesper Meng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply. Can you control the volume of the discrete aes outputs?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-31-2018 10:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last IMS3000 I installed was back in February, so my memory is a little hazy. But if it's correct, the tuning section of the web UI is pretty much identical to that of the CP850. If so, then you can adjust the gain of each output channel individually there.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesper, The IMS3000's Cinema Audio Processor does have a fader control just like any other audio processor. You can control the audio via WebUI or by automation commands in the Show Play List.

If you need it, you can also order the CAT868 remote fader box (same unit that is used for CP650 and CP750).

For setup, the IMS3000 has 1/3rd octave EQ on all channels, with additional capabilities via Auto EQ or the Grossman EQ which allows you to zoom in and make finer changes than the 1/3rd octave EQ.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, is there not a connector on the IMS3000 for a remote fader as well? That way if one wants a knob to turn you can have one.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2018 03:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an RJ45 connector on the front of the IMS3000 that says "Fader" so I'm guessing "Yes" is the answer.

Jesper Meng
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2018 04:38 PM      Profile for Jesper Meng   Author's Homepage   Email Jesper Meng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys
With the initial setting the soundprocessor was not patched, the fader in the software did not work. After i routed with Dolby Atmos designer and routed to the discrete aes output everything is fine. :-)
I was afraid that the soundprocessor only worked with the AES67 output so i was trying to patch that to my aes67 enabled Dante card, with no luck.
Is that output not active without the Dolby Atmos license? What is the streams multicast name?

Fernando Cavallero
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Fernando Cavallero   Email Fernando Cavallero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.
My question is how do you do the equalization set up (B chain).
Is it possible to use a standard analog multiplexer with a digital sound card?
The Designer recognize a couple of sound cards supporting 8 mics.
May be it's possible to inject the testing mic in AES AUX using a DAC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: