Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How to transfer Data from PC to Doremi server?

Author Topic: How to transfer Data from PC to Doremi server?
Lidor Kahalani
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2018 05:10 AM      Profile for Lidor Kahalani   Email Lidor Kahalani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Doremi dcp2000 server
Is there someone willing to explain in a few steps the following process:

How to Transfer Files (KDM or Movie File) from PC onto Ethernet Cable into Hard Disk of Server.

I am looking for how to do this in an easy way with FTP software on your computer, like FileZilla.
This topic has been mentioned many times here but no one wrote a detailed guide.

Thank you [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-24-2018 10:54 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just log in with filezilla to the server address as user "ingest". I can't post the password here. Then with the source drive/folder in the left pane right click on the folder for a DCP and select "upload", it should go over. This is into the root folder you see on the right pane NOT the "gui" folder. You can't do this as manager or admin (I couldn't, at least) as the server refuses to create the destination directory, no problem as "ingest". Once uploaded there, it should appear in editor but you may need to refresh the listing.
I didn't try a KDM but it should work the same.

Peter Provorov
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2018 03:43 AM      Profile for Peter Provorov   Email Peter Provorov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can setup your PC as a Server

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-25-2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a passage in the Doremi Fieldinstaller and operating manuals about how to upload 'wild style' content (that is, without going through ingest manager).

You can use an FTP client on a remote PC to upload content/KDM into the Doremi server, or you can set up an FTP server on the remote PC and access content through the Doremi ingest manager after you have setup ingest sources with the Doremi content feed manager setup program.

Do you have access to these manuals?

Filezilla provides a client as well as a server - I would simply install both packages and then try to grow into it slowly.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-25-2018 09:38 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just uploading it looks a lot easier than setting up a folder as an ftp source on my PC, but I don't do it too often. If it's a regular job then setting up the ftp server and then adding your pc as a content source would be the way to go, we have a few clients who make their own ad DCPs and have the system with DCP-o-Matic set up as a content source.

Dustin Grush
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Grush   Email Dustin Grush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also went the FTP PC server route. Filezilla Server is easy to use. As was stated above, just add the PC as an ingest location and add the files to that folder. I also use this to send the KDM's to the theatres remotely, as well as any dcp-o-matic creations. I have two separate networks, one for the projection equipment and one for everything else. The FTP PC has two network cards, one for each network.

ChunGui Lyu
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2018 06:33 AM      Profile for ChunGui Lyu   Email ChunGui Lyu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fastest way is using scp -r (linux, mac) or pscp -r (windows)
Once you setup the Authentication, one command can transfer a lot
Content, keys, playlists.You can also use ftp in comand line, faster than scp even

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-21-2019 05:33 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 399 days since the last post.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2019 05:33 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the computer having the two network cards to access both networks.. Has anybody set this up using a router/firewall with access rules between the two networks, rather than the PC being the go-between?

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2019 10:39 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've setup complexes where the POS and Projection Networks are on seperate VLANS and established inter-VLAN routing to allow communication from say a manager's computer in the office to a TMS or Screen Server. The only thing that might hang you up if you're going from FTP Server to Screen Server though a router are the limitations of FXP between the two points. If your PC is using an FTP client, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2019 12:44 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a central space between two projection rooms where I was going to place a computer that I intended to have access to the various web-based administration consoles for the complex, but I was also hoping for it to have access to the media network, in order to be able to save KDMs, and upload them to the various projection boxes, and in order to have access to the output from DCP-O-Matic, to save having to move things onto removable drives, depend upon USB ingests, etc. For internet and email access, primarily, I'm thinking the machine will sit primarily on the administration network, but have access to the media VLAN for the KDMs and DCP-O-Matic output. Do you think this would be problematic? Should I investigate a different option for this?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-24-2019 05:17 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always add a second network card to a machine if you want to support both separate networks. Begin with a scheme of the existing network topology, then it will become clear.

For the media network, you may and should disable all network protocols (like SMB) and only use TCP/IP, as only FTP is needed.

But it's difficult to suggest something without knowing more about the existing configuration. Who is responsible for managing that network/cinema IT wise?

- Carsten

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2019 10:34 PM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Carsten,

I’m going to trash the whole thing and start again, hence why I’m thinking out how to attack this in a way that’s best, and most suitable for me, so I don’t need to worry about existing topology.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: