Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP750 automation from Sony TMS

Author Topic: Dolby CP750 automation from Sony TMS
Rob Davies
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2018 12:49 PM      Profile for Rob Davies   Email Rob Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All, I have a new role as projectionist at a site in the UK. We are using Sony SRXR320 and Sony tms. It’s a 13 screen cinema, it appears no one has configured this! I have read a few posts relating to CP650 but need more info.
I know each CP750 needs connecting via Ethernet & each IP address set.
If I am setting all volume Cues from Sony TMS do I need to edit the SMSMgrServer_custom.ini or can I just add custom cues?
Thank you, kindest regards
Rob

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2018 08:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about the Sony end of things, but from the CP750 end of things, it's pretty easy.

The CP750 needs to be on the same LAN subnet (the management network, probably) as the server, or with a subnet mask such that the two can see each other. If you can ping the CP750 from the server, you're all set as far as IPv4 configuration is concerned.

By factory default (i.e. if you don't change anything), the CP750's address is 192.168.1.136 / 24, with the gateway set to 192.168.1.129 (that's a DSS screen server, in the Dolby IP scheme).

To send it commands via IP, you must use TCP (not UDP), and port 61408. You can also command it via RS232: the protocol is 9600 baud, 8N1, and the termination string is a carriage return.

To change the fader level, send the command cp750.sys.fader followed by a value between 0 and 100. For example, cp750.sys.fader 56 would set it to 5.6.

The full listing of commands can be found on pages 56-58 of CP750 installation manual.

This should be all the info you need to build custom cues in any server.

Rob Davies
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Rob Davies   Email Rob Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Leo for this very useful information. I appreciate your help

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 03:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure. As I say, I have no experience whatsoever with Sony stuff, so can't offer any Sony-specific advice as to how to set it up. But I've done plenty of automating CP750s.

With a DSS100, 200, or 220, it's child's play. Just as long as the config script knows its IP address and that the audio processor in use is a CP750, the cues are already there in the audio cues tab - nothing more to do. For the Dolby IMS line and "Dolreme" servers (i.e. Doremi servers with software version 2.8.16 or later, which gives it the same web GUI as a Dolby IMS1000 or 2000), you just need to set it up as a device, then import an XML cue library that is available from Dolby.

For third party servers (neither Dolby nor Doremi with post-takeover software), it's a little more complicated. Unless the manufacturer has a cue library script available (I believe that GDC does, but no others that I'm aware of), you'll need to set up manual cues. I culled the info above from the CP750 installation manual when I was setting one up with a Barco Alchemy just before Christmas, and it worked just fine. One slightly inelegant glitch is that you'll need to create individual cues for each fader setting: therefore, if you play a lot of indie and kid-with-a-Mac type DCPs with normalization all over the place, and need to put them into automated playlists, you could find yourself making a lot of cues. But if you mainly play studio DCPs, you shouldn't need to make more than three or four.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The command files tend to be xml, so it is easy to make a file in the server then export it and use an editor program... cut and paste a fader command and just change the name and command text.
Then replace the file in the server. Easier than using the annoying creation tools in most servers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-21-2018 05:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that Barco has a CP750 file for the ICMP (either they had it or I created it in very short time).

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-22-2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are factory files. They are not very complete. I understand why they leave out some odd ones like l/r decode that would mess up a normal dcp playback, but there are few fader settings and no fader +/- commands. So i have a few modified files.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob you need to enable the CP750 control from the Sony config file, it's recommended you copy the lines from the main config to the custom.ini file so that they are transferred over during software updates, you'll want something like this:

#####################################################################
# Audio Processor Control Configuration
#####################################################################
# When you use External Audio Device , please enable one of audioProcessorClassPath Settings below.
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP650Control
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.DCP300Control
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.FCQA8631Control
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CSP850AControl
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.DCP1000Control
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.AudioDeviceManagerImpl.audioProcessorClassPath=com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP850Control
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP850Control.defaultVolume=3.1
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control.defaultVolume=5.8
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP650Control.defaultVolume=5.8
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.DCP300Control.defaultVolume=-3
com.sony.dcinema.sms.messages.MsgBodyGPIOControlList.CP750VolumeList=0.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5,9,9.5,10
com.sony.dcinema.sms.messages.MsgBodyGPIOControlList.CP850VolumeList=0.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5,9,9.5,10
com.sony.dcinema.sms.messages.MsgBodyGPIOControlList.CP650VolumeList=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
com.sony.dcinema.sms.messages.MsgBodyGPIOControlList.DCP300VolumeList=-80,-70,-60,-50,-40,-30,-20,-10,0,10

# When you use CP750 , please enable one of connection Settings below.
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control.connection=Ethernet
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control.connection= Serial
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP850Control.connection=Ethernet

# Used for Ethernet, the unit is second.
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control.ethernetTimeout=1
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP850Control.ethernetTimeout=1

# Used for Serial, the unit is millisecond.
#add for DC-3765 at 2012-10-29 by songsy
com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP750Control.serialTimeout=500
#com.sony.dcinema.serial.impl.CP850Control.serialTimeout=500

After you save this I've had the best luck on getting these cues to show up in the cue template in TMS by rebooting the SMS server then taking that auditorium offline and then bringing it back online in TMS, the cues should then populate in the cue template in the dropdowns

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-22-2018 04:59 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(-rubbish-)

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: