Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Mantenimiento

Author Topic: Mantenimiento
Edgar Familiar Erazo
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2018 05:27 PM      Profile for Edgar Familiar Erazo   Email Edgar Familiar Erazo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what happens if you do not do maintenance type c a a projector barco dp2k 23b.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tech have to do Maintenance C since they have to go into the secured section of the unit.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-17-2018 09:43 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boiling it down to its essentials, the Barco "smart maintenance" regime consists of:

A (monthly, assuming a regular multiplex usage pattern) - clean out the air filters

B (every 2-3 months) - clean out the air filters, plus a few other things

C (every six months) - this is the heavy maintenance check, consisting of about 40 steps in total. Essentially, it consists of cleaning every surface that needs cleaning, including the hard to reach ones, checking the condition of all parts with a design life shorter than that of the projector itself, and replacing where necessary, checking the adjustment and alignment of everything tweakable, and updating the projector, ICP or ICMP, and (if you have one) Enigma card software/firmware to the current version.

D (every four years) - replace the coolant pump (or in the case of a 12C, the light engine fan).

The answer to your question is that not doing C has similar consequences to not having a major service on your car done when it comes due. It won't blow up like Mount Kilauea tomorrow, but with every hour of use that passes, the likelihood of a breakdown and having to hand out 500 refunds to a full house of customers increases.

As Monte points out, the maintenance program is designed such that A and B can be done by theater staff, but C and D are only intended to be carried out by a tech who has done Barco school. This is because (a) you will need to cause a physical tamper alarm, and know how to reset it, and (b) you will need to touch components of the projector that can be seriously and expensively damaged if you don't know what you're doing with them. You don't need to do either to complete A and B.

That having been said, I do understand that if you're in a very remote location, the cost of bringing a tech in can be a significant problem. Do you have a technical service vendor that you work with - maybe the dealer that sold you the projector? Maybe they know of a Barco trained tech who, if not local, might at least be based in another city in Bolivia. If that isn't possible, maybe they may be able to provide some phone/Skype support to look at a diagnostic package from your projector, and from there help you to take care of anything that looks like it could turn in to a major problem.

Tia Marklund
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Tia Marklund   Email Tia Marklund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola Edgar!
I’m on my way to Cochabamba to do maintenance on the equipement on Prime Cinemas. I will be in the area for the coming two weeks. I am a certified Barco technician. Let me know if you need any help. tia@cinemadesign.se

Best regards
Tia

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2018 07:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C= Annual maintenance, not ever 6-months. It's counter is every 365 days.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Never had to replace any pumps in NEC, nor change the coolant! I have replaced lots on Barco. Whats up with them?

Mark

Edgar Familiar Erazo
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2018 03:44 PM      Profile for Edgar Familiar Erazo   Email Edgar Familiar Erazo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muchas gracias a todos por sus comentarios son de mucha ayuda.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2018 05:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco likes to proactively change out their pumps. NEC likes to REALLY proactively change out their fans (they are rated for 80,000-100,000 hours but NEC yells at you at 20,000 hours). As for changing coolant, I'd rather change it than pump stale coolant that has been running on through the hoses and heat sinks for years. It isn't a big deal.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2018 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you about how many Barco water pump failures have just happened out of the clear blue sky around town and in other tech friends service locations. Its a Barco disease! Lots and lots of them. Plus no quick disconnects to make removal of that assembly easy. Christie doesn't seem to have the problem either.

I change the AC On, Power On, and ICP fan since they are the critical fans, usually at 5 to 6 years for MPX customers irregardless of the stupid warning that pops up. Its about a 35 to 40 minute job to do.

I called NEC support once about that and they said to just reset it and monitor the number of "projector on" hours. Five to Six years is about that many hours for a lot of my MPX customers except the single screeners aren't piling them on nearly that fast... They might actually go ten years or more, although running that teeny ICP fan that long would bother me.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2018 06:52 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced a lot of Christie coolant pumps. The series 2 ones in particular.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2018 08:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have Series 1 Christies to deal with... They have been pretty darn good.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2018 10:27 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had 1 pump burn up on a ZX but those pumps are much like the series 2.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-20-2018 12:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, I didn't install any Christie Series 2, but all the ZX's and SB's I installed are all still running. The Few Series 2 Christie's that I do service have had a few pump failures... two just on one machine. Had problems with Barco pumps begining with DP-100's a long time ago. I think Gord McLoud adaped an external aquarium pump on some of his DP-100's, which I am sure are probably gone by now. I am eight years into a large number of NEC Series 2 and have had zero pump failures. I just vacuum out the heat exchanger in them every few years.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hunch is that more of the cooling is done by convection in an NEC than in a Barco, and so the liquid coolant pump is a more crucial component in a Barco. If so, this would explain why Barco recommend proactive replacement of the pump every four years. I've replaced a few pumps that have failed after 7 or 8 (the owner ignored the "maintenance D due" nag when it happened), but none that failed before the four were up. That having been said, I don't know the total hours of pumping that they'd done, given that the pump doesn't run when the projector is on but the lamp is off.

But I agree with Mark's underlying point: I've never had to touch the liquid cooling system on an NEC, but it seems like I'm flushing out the coolant and/or swapping out the pump on Barcos all the time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: