Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DP3000 Server Options (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DP3000 Server Options
Russell Kalman
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2018 02:31 PM      Profile for Russell Kalman   Author's Homepage   Email Russell Kalman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings!
I have a client who owns the D-Cinema gear at our local Historical Theater. They are adamant they I replace the Dolby DSS/DSP100 with something new and 4K capable.
(New projector in 18-24 months)

That being said, is there such a beast that can be a drop-in replacement and work and play well with a Barco DP3000?

Thank you all for your wisdom.
Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-07-2018 03:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4k implies an IMB/IMS, and IMB/IMS don't go with a DP3000. So, in short words, no.
Not immediately, at least. Then again, if the DP3000 will go, why not wait until then with the server replacement as well?

There are some recent offerings that seem to support series1 projectors, while being IMB/IMS based and supporting 4k with a later projector upgrade. However, I don't know which of those are ACTUALLY now available and work reliably. They'd work such that you'd put an IMB/IMS into a standalone housing with a power supply, and connect HD-SDI cables to the series1 projector. Again, I only know these solutions from their brochues, no idea wether you can actually buy them now.

Another solution would be e.g. to buy a second hand server, e.g. a Dolby DSS200 or Doremi DCP2000 or DCP-2K4. There is a possible later upgrade path for an IMB and 4k then.
Or, you sell the DP3000+server then, and buy a new Barco with an integrated ICMP/IMS.

There are chances that, when you later shop for a 4k projector, that your server will be phased out again for other reasons (storage limits, possible limitations of the new projector).

- Carsten

Russell Kalman
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Russell Kalman   Author's Homepage   Email Russell Kalman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Carsten.
I have lobbied vigorously for doing the whole server/projector replacement, but people with much fancier job titles than mine have decreed that our server is evil and should be replaced.

I have also been advised that Dolby does have a series one adapter solution for the show vault for not too many USD.
Cheers
Russ

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-07-2018 06:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only assume that this adapter solution is actually a Dolphin card, the 'classic' Doremi server integrated media block? Would they actually build a sleeve for their IMB, and add all the necessary framework between IMB and projector, when their existing dolphin card achieves the same?

http://digicine.com/mediaplayer/

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-07-2018 08:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby can't supply DCP-2000 systems now, apparently because motherboards that will support a Dophin card are no longer available. They may have a few of the Supermicro X7SB4 in stock for warranty servers but if your DCP-2000 motherboard dies their answer for S2 is a new motherboard and IMB - conversion to a Showvault. I have heard of some solution whether existing or in the works to deal with series 1 projectors but have not seen one.
DP3000 - utterly evil.
For 4K there isn't any way for a dual SDI to work with existing projector hardware - it should be possible with newer SDI versions as the bandwidth has been upped a lot, but there's no real market reason to produce new boards with this SDI capability.
I'm not sure why a DSS/DSP 100 is evil... not my cup o' tea but they have proven pretty reliable.
I would call Dolby and ask what solution they have for S1 in a new server. Interested in the answer.
DP3000? Utterly evil.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2018 12:29 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DP3000 evil? absolutely! if it becomes a unit that is for sale, I'm a buyer,same goes for the dss/dsp100 always need parts....unfortunately.
Not sure what off the shelf server you will find for series 1 with sdi inputs at this time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, GDC can supply S1 server(s). The SX2001A is available and sports SDI outputs. It doesn't do 4K BUT it can be converted to a SX2000AR, with the purchase of the IMB of the 2000AR and become a 4K server.

The new GDC SR-1000, if shipping, can also go both ways. While in S1 mode, they make (or are making) a dock for it to handle the ins/outs/power.

I guess I'm in the long line of "what are they thinking?" If the DP3000 is to be retired, retire it and the server together rather than spend/waste money on a solution that requires spending yet again when the projector is changed. Furthermore, technology rarely benefits buying ahead of time. If the DP3000 goes another 2-years, who knows what servers will be attractive for the projector purchased at that time.

If the DSS100/DSP100 are working, then let them continue to do so. What do you have to feed them? HDD? (cheap), BIOS battery? (cheap), maybe memory? (only if a problem shows up)? Fans (cheap). Software? (4.7.x.x is the end of the line so if you are on it, it is good and stable.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2018 08:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Russell, along the same lines as all the rest of the advice here, can you tell us WHY they think the DSS100 is evil? In other words, what is the evil behavior? It's likely hard drives that are old and failing, and you could put a set of new (proper type) drives in there, run a clean install and be just fine and perfectly stable.

It's silly to swap a server now and then the projector later. With you being series 1, that seriously restricts your options now AND in the future if you get a new server now.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-08-2018 09:31 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, technology is changing and "series 3" projectors are coming - arguably a Barco with their ICMP is one, available for quite a while.
It really makes sense to wait until ready to do a full upgrade. Hopefully it isn't a workaround for budgeting or to expend remaining allocations before a budget year wraps up?
A new server offers no operational benefit over your "evil" Dolby used with a DP3000.
DP3000: why does it have a diabolical cooling system, and where the heck is the flow switch? Why is the 12V power out jack - identical to the DCTP power in jack - wired in reverse so a straight-thru cable puts reversed power to the DCTP (and why is the DCTP not protected so it doesn't puff smoke when that happens...)? why does it love to crash the controller on lamp strike? Because evil.

Russell Kalman
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2018 10:53 AM      Profile for Russell Kalman   Author's Homepage   Email Russell Kalman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
The DSS100 went down two years ago right before our annual classic movie festival. Although I was able to obtain service at a reasonable rate and excellent turn around they, the powers that be, have been frightened of a repeat occurrence during this years fest.

Dave,
You are pretty much right on the mark as to why they are in a hurry to buy. But their time constraints are no reason to buy something that doesn't work.
I wholeheartedly agree that the project should be the entire chain, not just a piece.
And the cooling system. Argh.
Russ

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-08-2018 02:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you have a compatible interface card for DCI compatibility, I know we rent servers... someone in the great state of Texas must do the same? You could have a backup server in case of problems...

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2018 04:56 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with others about doing both server and projector at the same time. DSS/DSP 100s are not evil. There are plenty in regular service still. I have two that run in a first run theatre that shows every day/night. One other than hard drives has worked flawlessly. The other has gone through several motherboards. Their biggest drawback is that they can not play 25 or 30 fps jpeg 2000 DCPs and the limitation on hard drive space as it will only recognize 500 MB on each drive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2018 07:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
WHY they think the DSS100 is evil?
Thats rediclous, ita a great server! I still have one running in Wyoming. But the DP-1000, 2000 are absolute piles of crap! Hopefully the 3000 is better, but I;m not going to let any of my customers find out if it is or not. I feel sorry for anyone that buys the DP-1000 & 2000.

Mark

Russell Kalman
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Russell Kalman   Author's Homepage   Email Russell Kalman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered the frame rate limitation of the DP100 three years ago when showing Oklahoma at a film festival with Shirley Jones scheduled to attend.
Bad Day.

That has subject has been brought up often.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it can't play a frame rate that DCI spec, while doesn't preclude, does require a 24 or 48 fps version to be available, as well. Same with sound. It is fine to have a special sound format BUT a 5.1 (compatible) version has to be available as well.

The fault wasn't the server, it was the content provider. Yes, it doesn't help a bad situation to quote chapter and verse but it does point out that just because you buy something new, it too won't be tripped up by a non-standard format.

How many of you all made 2.00:1 and 2.20:1 screen files and lens settings when those formats came out? And for 2.20, did you do Scope AND Flat variations (or full container)?

If you are going to play classic titles that may tax DCI compliant systems or new titles that will want the latest and greatest, then yes, the DSS100/DSP100 is not the best choice. it is stuck in its time period.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: