Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The differences between OCAP and HOH

Author Topic: The differences between OCAP and HOH
Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 04:38 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have searched this forum and also the web, however I am struggling to find out what the actual difference is between DCPs with OCAP and HOH in the files. I know that both of these should be more than just subtitles (i.e EN-EN) which is just dialogue on screen and in theory the OCAP and HOH should have additional details such as descriptions of sounds or which character is talking, but I can't work out the difference between two two types. Can anyone assist with this? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 04:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Open Captions is just 'Closed Captions' visible to everyone. So, with additional information (who speaks, etc.).

HOH I have never heard of in the cinema context. As the general abbreviation for Hard of Hearing, it is only the indication of the general issue, or, in cinema or public places, a general indicator of services for people suffering from it. So that could include CCAP, OCAP, HI Mixes, headphones, hearing loops, etc.

- Carsten

Gary Benn
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 05:02 AM      Profile for Gary Benn   Email Gary Benn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

I wonder if HOH (Hard of Hearing) is a UK thing for OCAP, as most films have a HOH VF?

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 05:03 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Carsten,

Thanks for replying; I know it means Hard Of Hearing, but I presume there must be some difference between the files.
Here are two examples from my server.

GreatestShowman_FTR-A_S_EN-HOH_UK-IE_71-VI_2K_TCF_20171210_EKN_IOP_VF

GhostStories_FTR_S_EN-EN-OCAP_UK_51-VI_2K_LION_20180308_MPS_IOP_VF

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 05:28 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry, know what you mean now, in a CPL name. That is unusual. For some reason, someone suggested just recently to rename HI and VI into something different - may be that is what you see. I read a short snippet of that plan on a mailing list, have to look it up and see how much of it is real...
Other than that, I guess HOH should be OCAP. Normally I would say this was an uneducated decision, but it appears this is a Fox release, and it shouldn't happen for such a feature and studio...

Is it true that you see many HOH in CPL names in the UK?

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 06:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see HOH more than OCAP here in the UK, but have never been sure of the difference. In general, the term hard of hearing seems to be out of favour here; 'Hearing Impaired' seems to be the preferred term now.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 06:48 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That choice is made by the mastering facility, EKN is Eikon Group. Maybe that HOH is or was a specific UK thing. I have never seen it before, but of course, why would we see DCPs with english HOH tracks here in germany ;-)

DCNC doesn't list HOH as a naming option, I can only assume that it is just a local habit and should be OCAP. Maybe they are trying to give an extra indication of open captions for HOH as opposed to general subtitles. Maybe there are other similarly named CPLs and a distinction was advisable.

- Carsten

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 07:19 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I see far more HOH and only a few OCAP, but I presumed there must be a difference but seemly not and neither is there really anything coming up when I google to find the difference.
It must have been something just special to the UK.

Well thank you for replying. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: