Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » VI Test File (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: VI Test File
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-21-2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had our new hearing assist devices installed. At the time of install, we didn't have any films or trailers with a VI track, so we didn't give it a full test. We currently have a movie that says it is 5.1_VI, but there is nothing but static in the headphones. It is a foreign language film, so maybe the VI was in Spanish and not included.
Is there a test file out there anyone has or knows about that we could ingest and test the VI system?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-21-2018 06:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very easy to make your own with DCP-o-matic. While it may take a few minutes to learn it, you can at least be sure what you put into which audio channel.

Or, try this: http://isdcf.com/SMPTE-DCP-Content/SMPTE_TST-B1B2Q_S_EN-EN-CCAP_51-HI-VI_2K_ISDCF_20161007_TCF_SMPTE.zip

These 5.1 and 7.1 DCPs have all channels populated up to 14, aside from testing HI/VI channel assignment, they are also useful to check wether your server/audio processor uses proper channel mapping - HI/VI, Lc/Rc (9/10), DBOX and SMPTE SYNC tracks should not be audible in the auditorium speakers.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2018 08:13 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby 7.1 channel ID clip has "visually impaired" stated on channel 8 and "hearing impaired" on channel 7.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-21-2018 09:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Static is odd, you should just get silence if the wiring or configuration is off. How are you getting the HI/VI signals to your assistive system? This is not always simple.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2018 10:32 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some test content is also available at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/TestContent/index.htm . Any more details on the system and how it is configured?,

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2018 02:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
The Dolby 7.1 channel ID clip has "visually impaired" stated on channel 8 and "hearing impaired" on channel 7.

I just looked up our Dolby 7.1 channel ID clip. It doesn't state HI or VI in the CPL, and channel 7/8 and 9/10 contain no audio. These 5.1 and 7.1 channel ID DCPs are pretty old, though, at least 5-6 years.

Admittedly, every 7.1 channel test DCP should have HI and VI populated with warnings so to easily recognize mapping/wiring issues.

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 11:34 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the files.
Using the SMPTE file I do not get anything on the VI track. Don't get anything on the HI track either, but that is because it is split off (see below). Do get sound for all of the appropriate channels through the headphones from the split off HI.

Waiting to hear back from our installer.

Setup is a Dolby CP-650 with an Odyssey digital board that the new HI/VI board rides on. The HI is split off input comes from the HI out on the CP 650 so we can use the HI for DVD's etc. Using QSC IRH-281 headphones.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin - both CPLs of that SMPTE test package has audio on all 14 channels that make up the audio MXF files. Every channel carries a short attention signal and channel announcement. There is no simultaneous audio, though, so you need to listen through the whole DCP to get a chance to hear all channel indicators. But you know that already. HI and VI are on the same AES pair usually (if you don't use a special per-channel mapping in the server). So, if the HI is split off, I guess the VI is on the same split-off.

Do I remember right that you use a Christie IMB-S2? As Harold says, I guess we need to know a bit more about the system configuration and wiring.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carston, The Dolby 7.1 channel ID does verbal ID the HI and VI channels. One I have heard it. Two here is the description from the Dolby Customer website:

Dolby Surround 7.1_F Channel ID (posted 16 April 2013)

This Test Chart can also be used to verify correct routing of Hearing Impaired (HI) and Visually Impaired Narration (VI-N) channels

Was the system you are referring two have the ch 11/12 rerouted to 7/8 for 7.1?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 05:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan - the Dolby channel ID DCP that I have simply are different from those you know, that's all. I know for sure that mine do not include any audio on the HI and VI channels because I loaded the bare audio MXFs into an editor. There is nothing.

I mentioned this explicitly so that no one is lead into thinking that any Dolby channel ID has signals on HI/VI. Martin has a config/wiring issue to solve, so he has to be absolutely sure that his testfiles do contain HI and VI on the proper channels.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2018 06:17 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones in the Dolby Surround 7.1 Audio Test Content folder on the Dolby Customer web site is a source for the test material asked about.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-27-2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe you Stephan, if Martin has access to that Dolby site, he is free to use them for additional confirmation.

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-28-2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give the Dolby site a check.
Meanwhile, turns out when we were originally wired up for Digital, the 7/8 pairs were not connected. So we most likely will be getting a new cable and that should solve the problem.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
really? your installer missed that?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-02-2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the time we didn't need them, and I didn't know that we would.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: