Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2220 PIB replacement (and LD relocation)

Author Topic: Christie CP2220 PIB replacement (and LD relocation)
Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another PIB board stopped working :-(

PIB Communication failure when powering up after lamp change.
Having reseated the boards (PIB and ICP) multiple times and power cycled 10+ times, I conclude that the PIB is dead.

Got a new PIB in this afternoon, but before I do the replacement, is there anything I should pay special attention to?
Aside from usual care and using a grounded ESD wrist wrap when handling delicate PCBs, is there anything else?
I noticed that the new PIB comes without LD board so I guess that I need to move this from the old PIB to the new one.
I am always a bit nervous about shorting out these battery backed up parts - Any pitfalls for the LD relocation?

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2018 12:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing special when replacing a PIB card or LD relocation. Just follow some basic rules:
1 - use antistatic wrist band
2 - place the PIB on a solid surface, use a towel and on top of it the antistatic bag wich came with the new PIB.
2 - remove the four screws holding the LD (sometimes the stud will aslo spin, so have a needlenose plier nearby)
3 - gently rock the LD board until it becomes free.
4 - press the LD firmly on the new board, and tighten the screws in X pattern.
That's about it...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-20-2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After replacement you have to copy the projector data into the new PIB... the wording of the "wizard" that pops up for this is odd so read it carefully before proceeding. It's not hard to copy in the wrong direction. Then reinstall the main software, either the latest version already in the TPC or you can install the latest version available if different.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-20-2018 05:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be very careful with the LD, make sure you first power up the projector a good while before you perform the swap, so the LD is recharged (depends on when the dead PIB was last powered on).

- Carsten

Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2018 02:52 AM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your advice.

Having replaced the PIB successfully, I wonder if anyone has identified what exactly is going on with all the PIBs becoming non functional.
Is it a power supply problem (onboard converters)? The board I replaced was not completely dead - I got a green light in the power LED and the ethernet connection was still functioning.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-01-2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie isn't very talkative about it but they have been shouted at by customers quite a lot.
There's an unofficial claim that the latest software solves a "rare" startup problem that kills the board. I have had several fail, and it has always been at powerup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: