Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC IMB

Author Topic: GDC IMB
Chatchat Kerdkhem
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2018 10:34 PM      Profile for Chatchat Kerdkhem   Email Chatchat Kerdkhem   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to replace GDC IMB battery?
May I have instruction ?
Please help.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 06:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to use a battery change kit from GDC, or maybe you can find enough information to improvise. The kit - I haven't seen one although one should arrive for me this week - apparently has an external battery that gets connected to power the secure memory while the board's batteries are changed. The board batteries are an uncommon type, but you should be able to source them from other places than GDC. I recommend that you contact GDC to get their kit and instructions.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 07:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More information is in this thread.

The short version is that some IMB models use the easily available (as in, you can buy them from multiple manufacturers and dealers) CR2354 battery, while others use the proprietary Tadiran TL-2450. If your IMB is in warranty, just give GDC its serial number and they will ship you replacement batteries at no extra charge. If it's not still in warranty, then if it takes CR2354s, you can buy them from Amazon or wherever; but if it takes the Tadiran ones, then you'll probably have to look around a bit.

My understanding is that the temporary AA battery pack while you swap out the main battery arrangement only applies to the Series 1-style SDI media blocks. The IMBs have two batteries, that you replace one at a time, in order to avoid losing the certificate.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2018 11:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version One IMB uses two of the the CR2354 Battery and the AR version of the IMB and the SX-3000 use two of the Tadrain TL-2450. Note that the TL-2450 is NOT a proprietary battery. Its available in a multitude of places including Allied Radio for USD $6.36 in single quantities. Never remove both batteries when replacing them as the are in parallel. Only remove and replace one battery at a time!!

For Servers with internal media blocks that have dual link HDSDI you will need the battery adapter from GDC to safely pull off switching out the batteries. These batteries are in series, so you can not just remove one at a time and replace them. You have to apply back up power to this media block first in order to change them out. The special back up battery pack has to come from GDC. This is shown in the picture.This media block requires two AAA Lithium Batteries.

-

Tadrain TL-2450 Link

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 10:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Note that the TL-2450 is NOT a proprietary battery.
Is that model made by any manufacturer besides Tadiran? The last time I had a look around online, I couldn't find any generic version. I think I found Panasonic and Renata for the CR2354, though.

Maybe GDC moved to the Tadirans because they thought that those little pins gave a more secure contact than the CR2354s.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-12-2018 07:42 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've replaced Tadiran batteries in a few devices - mostly handheld GPS units - and although readily available online these batteries did not have any "generic" substitutes.
So I think you're stuck with the genuine articles.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-12-2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, even GDC sends out the genuine Tadrains... I have never found a substitute for them either. I think the reason for using them was capacity vs current drain. The tadrains barely last three years... I actually had two units lose certificatess at three years and about ten days. So it's best to replace them before the three year point that GDC reccomends. I've been putting a small white sticker on the servers with the date that new ones were installed. GDC has mentioned they ARE working on adding a battery life indicator to the firmwre. NO doubt this has also caused them a lot of grief having to ship replacement SX-3000's all over the place.

The Dual link HDSDI media blocks and the first generation IMB seem to go well past five years of battery life with the CR2354's.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-12-2018 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2000AR also go more like 5+ years. I find 3-years on a certificate battery unacceptable. It should be more like 10-years. Use a super-capacitor that is backed up by a battery AND include appropriate warning.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestnigly, while I was laid up in the hospital in Feb a customer called me needing service. I refered him to Wrong Technical Support only because they were closest to him, and because all he needed was an ignitor installed in his NC-1200. Well, he also had the Wrong guy change the batteries in the SX-3000's while he was there and in less than a month those batteries failed and both servers had to be swapped out. The batteries the Worng guy installed came from GDC just a month before!! I;m glad the Wrong guy didn't mess with the TMS!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: