Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » SMPTE ST 2067-3:2013 Markers

Author Topic: SMPTE ST 2067-3:2013 Markers
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2018 02:02 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMPTE ST 2067-3:2013 defines markers that can be placed in a CPL to mark particular points in a composition, such as "first frame of moving credits." I count 33 such markers. A server could use FFMC to bring lights up to half level and LFOC (Last Frame of Composition) to bring lights to full. Is anyone using these markers? If so, on what server? How are the markers tied to automation commands? How much content contains markers? If you use markers to do things like control the house lights, is there a danger of lights coming up at the end of each trailer (due to a LFOC marker)?

Thanks!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-06-2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Harold,

markers or reel boundaries are only offered as possible time references when manually setting cues. That is, if you program a house light cue into your SPL, you may enter a manual tc, or select a marker if the CPL contains such.

See this screenshot: http://www.film-tech.com/uploads/uploads0503/WhatsAppImage2018-03-12at3.00.18PM.jpg

So, there is no risc that markers inadvertently create unwanted cues. There is no automatism in place yet. Of course, certain TMS may sooner or later (or yet) support markers for automatic SPL/cue generation in their SPL generator modules. I guess they should be smart enough to disable this for preshow content, in case someone actually puts markers into trailers accidentally . Of course, in general it is not a good idea to have markers in trailers or ads.

Only the very latest server software releases support that marker feature.

In the case of intermissions, e.g. the Dolby DSS servers support the placement of intermissions on reel boundaries, but again, only as a manual option. It is just an aid when setting up the intermission cues. With intermission markers, these could be another source.

As the majority of content delivered in germany is still interop, I have not come across CPL markers in real life DCPs.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: