Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP-4220 with IMS 2000, 4k alternative

Author Topic: CP-4220 with IMS 2000, 4k alternative
Sunil Punjabi
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2018 02:40 AM      Profile for Sunil Punjabi   Email Sunil Punjabi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have installed Christie Solaria CP4220 along with Dolby IMS2000 server. Customer needs are as follows.

1.Wanted to watch movie in 4K
2.Wanted to see the Non-Cinema content in UHD,4k format or higher.
3.To have all Blu ray and HD playback on the projector.
4.We made a arrangements for HD and Blu ray playback which is 1080 via DVI port of the projector and it is perfectly working.

But we are unable to satisfy the above point # 1 and 2 to our customer. Since we are using Christie CP-4220 projector with IMS-2000, we have installed as an APPLE-4k-TV box (5th generation) for playback 4k content through apple-4k-tv, we unable to understanding which format he was played.

Hence requesting you to review and advise us to overcome on this.

Should you required any further information please do advise me.

Thank you very much.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2018 07:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that the IMS2000 tops out at HDMI 1.4 with 1080p processing, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. It only supports REC709 and below.

At the moment, the only way you are going to get 4K UHD into a cinema projector is via Barco and the ICMP. It is the only one, at the moment, that handles 4k HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 at REC 2020 and HDR. Note, the HDR part is via license. That is it, that is your only solution. (Except maybe Sony, I believe their latest is also HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2.

Note, the IMS3000 also only has HDMI 1.4 as well.

Christie can do 4K alternative content with the PIB-3G plus the add-on board but you will top out at 30fps and not be HDCP compliant (nor have the remaining parts of the HDMI 2.0 spec.

I think you'll see things changing though. Christie's CP4325-RGB, which is debuting with an HDMI 1.4 port, I hear from reliable sources, will have an HDMI 2.0 offering by this time next year.

Part of what you need to get around is the ICP. It is stuck in the year it was designed, to a degree. It came out in 2010 (or slightly before so projector companies could integrate it into their systems). It will be some form of a "Series 3" projector that will be able to move to HDMI 2.0 with the distinction between a series 2 and series 3 being the ICP versus a home-brew version of it. All three OEMs now have some form of a series 3 projector.

Sunil Punjabi
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Sunil Punjabi   Email Sunil Punjabi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you.

I had found as below link attached, it can work

( HD-Fury https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfuryIntegral.pdf )

please advise.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-07-2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to go into the projector with dual DVI input for 4K, and I have never tried that. Barco has dual DVI input files so 4K should work on a 4K Barco, and I assume Christie would have a similar capability.
I believe there is no way to get 4K through the IMS HDMI input.
Like Steve says, "series 3" systems like the Barco Alchemy DCP-4KxxB (ICMP system) that don't use the TI ICP are best for doing 4K alternative content.

Timothy Duffy
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Timothy Duffy   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Duffy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunil did you ever get this to work? We have never used the HD-Fury project. But we have successfully played HDCP2.0 HDMI sources on the CP4220 using the Dolby IMS2000 and IMS3000 with the Key Digital HD-FIX22. This devices takes an HDMI input at HDCP2.2 and outputs HDCP1.4. It takes a little time for the projector to sync (with some ugly blinking and flashing) but it does work. No HDR support either.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears the HD Fury does a similar HDCP version reduction. They were sued by Warner Brothers and Intel over this, but apparently reach and out of court settlement.

https://techraptor.net/content/lawsuit-4k-content-protection-stripper-settled-court

Timothy Duffy
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Timothy Duffy   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Duffy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HDFury and KeyDigital devices do seem to be similar, but Key Digital is a far larger and widely respected US based company with tremendous knowledge of HDMI and HDCP engineering. I would stick with the Key Digital brand if you want to explore this further.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-07-2018 02:56 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been using the HDFury Vertex for a while now, we have two of them. The only bummer is that it doesn't come in a nicely rack-mountable package and the "User Interface" is somewhat awkward. But for the price, the features are almost unbeatable.

We've been doing stuff like HDCP down-conversion, some ad-hoc scaling and also splitting digital audio streams (including stuff like consumer Atmos and DTS-X) from HDMI streams to route it to separate devices.

The devices can sometimes become pretty hot, but that doesn't seem to affect their reliability.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: