Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie projector interlock error (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie projector interlock error
Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2018 10:13 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Christie CP2000ZX has twice in the past three nights had the lamp go out about an hour or so into the show.
When I get back to the bio box an interlock error is displaying on the CDP and the red light flashing. The fans are still running and the vane switch in the duct is working.
I acknowledge the error and after a couple of minutes restart the projector and re-strike the lamp. The show continues uninterrupted to the end.

The lamp has done barely 100 hours and all the extraction fans appear to be working. Short of watching the projector for the entire show to see what happens, I am at a loss as to why it has started doing this. The temperature sensor in the exhaust ducting sits on about 34 degrees Celsius maximum.

If anyone has had a similar problem and can suggest what to look for or action to take, I would be most grateful. It seems I just get over one problem and another crops up. I could probably limp through the next few weeks to the end of the outdoor screening season but it is not very good form to stop a show every night for 5 minutes to fix an issue.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
possibly a door switch

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vane switches are also known to fail. I'd bypass each switch one at a time with a clip lead until the lamp stays lit. Then you know where your problem is at.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-02-2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the exact wording of the error?

On series 2 Christies (2220, 2230, 4220, 4230) if you leave the key in the side door panel for changing the bulb, over time with gravity's assistance it can turn just enough to trigger the interlock alarm and turn off the bulb. This is why we tell people after changing a bulb to move the key to the TOP lock and leave it there, or keep the key on a string attached to the rear foot of the projector or something.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-02-2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the interrogator logs to determine WHAT caused the lamp to go off, then look at whatever that is.

If it says lamp exhaust sensor or words to that effect. Check the updraft and plan on changing the switch. It should be noted that for the current models (CP2220), Christie has a UV kit that shields that switch, which sits right above the reflector) and re-routes its cables up and over rather than around the lamp area. We've had that switch/door interlock fail due to UV exposure. If the switch is pasty white, change it!

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP2000ZX similiar to the CP2000SB it could be the right side squirrel cage fan interlock. I had the same thing happen where the bulb would go off and the interlock warning came up.
Turns out the squirrel cage fan was failing and evently stopped working - it started to make loud whacking sounds. The plastic blades tend to brake as they become brittle from the UV light dry roasting them.
A simple fix if the problem persists and the fan fails is to remove the squirrel cage fan assembly - tape up the interlock to stay in the open position and point a powerful floor stand fan into the opening. This will give you time to get a replacement and keep the show going. I believe the replacement fans are approximately $400.00 US.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2018 05:15 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gentlemen,

The tech should be coming out in the next couple of days to check it out so I will post the results here. It is good to get your input so as I know what to be looking for.

I assume I would need administrator status to be be able to view detailed diagnostic logs.

Peter

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-03-2018 07:55 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no special access required. You can take a report as normal operator, I think.
Interrogator reports - you should not need "enhanced" to see this problem - are ".7z" archives that can be opened by many "unzip" type programs, I use WinRAR. The logs are in a nested .7z folder, I think the "operational" logs would have lamp-off errors?

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Thanks for that. Hopefully we will be able to discover the cause and rectify it before the next screening on Friday night.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-03-2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
...move the key to the TOP lock and leave it there, or keep the key on a string attached to the rear foot of the projector or something.
Get a 10-32 thumb screw and use it to attach the key to an empty spot in the equipment rack.

When I worked on the stage at Mercyhurst, we often had equipment or drawers and things that required a particular key to operate or access them. That was the way I made sure the necessary key(s) were accessible when needed but not stored in the lock where they could get broken off or otherwise damage the lock.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 04:26 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this same problem a few years ago on our 2210. Extremely frustrating. You likely need a new interlock switch system. If my memory serves, it wasn't too dear, and fixed the problem.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 08:58 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I notice that the key has been in the top lock since I acquired the projector so it can't be that.

When setting up the weekend's shows last night I see that on flat, the lamp (CDXL-30) power reading varies between 1250 and 1270 watts. I understand that the lamp has a very wide operating range but this seems very low. I would not be surprised if this was a factor. I was not altogether happy with the light output so that will be rectified (pun unintended) smartly.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 09:43 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you running a 2K bulb?

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 10:05 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the CDXL-30 is a 3K lamp to suit the Christie CP2000ZX projector.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 10:18 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running FLAT of The Shape of Water right now and this is what I get on a 3K bulb - I have set it to auto.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: