Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NC3240S-A white switch

Author Topic: NC3240S-A white switch
Abraham Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2018 06:49 PM      Profile for Abraham Robinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading old threads and have been warned by others about these failing (particularly on the NC-2000s); though it seems like not as much of an issue with the 3240?

Then I was looking up images, and on the NEC website the 3240S-A has a black switch. Is this a replacement for the faulty white switch? or is it just a show-model difference that's only in the press photos. My venue has a 3240S-A with the white switch. Can someone give me an update? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2018 05:07 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 3240 - not sure whether it has a white or a black switch - as I've never used it. I always turn the electronics on with the wall socket switch. Then there's no chance of that switch failing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2018 10:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its still a circuit breaker but just a different spec than the one on the NC-2000. As such, these breakers should not be used as switches and an external power switch should be installed and utilized.

Mark

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2018 05:43 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, a number of them circuit breakers developed issues.
And I am afraid that part of the problem is risen due to the documentation of NEC itself.

A considerable number of manuals, facilitating the installer as much as the end-user was indicating those same circuit breakers as "Main Power Switch", even when there was a non-incorporated/external lamp power supply unit (LPSU) that had another, similarly designated "Main Power Switch".
The "for the eyes of technical personnel only" powerpoint slides were also using the same expression, a (great) while ago.

After all that, it is not an easy thing to restore the actual "Circuit Breaker" name and expected way of use over the "Main Power Switch" that for some reason slipped into the documentation.

I've seen some odd translations from Japanese to English, that being very far from winning the award of the most puzzling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ioannis Syrogiannis
And I am afraid that part of the problem is risen due to the documentation of NEC itself.
Yep! I went though about a dozen switches at a few different sites, but overall not that many as I installed 334 NEC's. I now have external switches on all of them which I installed on normal service rounds.

Mark

Abraham Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2018 12:19 AM      Profile for Abraham Robinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark and everyone, I'll look into installing an external switch. The way it's set up right now, leaving the white switch on and shutting off the main breaker triggers the UPS.

Appreciate any suggestions you all have, the replacement part cost is absurd, and even more so considering it's just another one of the same cheap switches that are so easily prone to breaking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-06-2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The switch is expensive because it is German origin.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: