Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP 650 Won't boot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP 650 Won't boot
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-30-2018 05:08 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a dead power supply, just looking for confirmation.
Getting power, but no fan, no boot-up, just the power on/override light in bright red.
Is there something I can do to confirm or jump start?
Are 650 power supplies still available?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2018 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOst likely that. Pull the supply out and look for leaking crud out of the capacitors. I've replaced a few CP-650 power supplies over the years but recapped way way more...

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-30-2018 06:54 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby won't sell you the Cat. 776 as it's EOL, but they regularly appear on Ebay.

As an alternative, I've seen CP 650s go for $500~$1000, it never hurts to have a cold spare at those prices.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-30-2018 06:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meant to add that we do get sound via bypass from the 35mm.
Is there any test to confirm power supply failure?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-30-2018 07:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Measure the DC voltage coming out of it?

As Mark points out, capacitor plague is a likely cause, and easily visible. If that's the problem, the capacitors could be replaced, if you have a good soldering iron and a steady hand.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-30-2018 08:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Voltage on the 5 Volt rail should be above 4.75 on the +5VB terminal on the inner front plane. Any lower and it's likely not to start and stay in bypass. It could also be the memory board located on the Cat. 774, a very pricey board.

BACP bought the remaining CP650's and related finished assemblies. We ship parts every week all over the USA but can also ship internationally. Used can also be good but no telling what you get. There are three completely different supplies. We only stock the last version.

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2018 12:22 AM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
100 % PS failure. Just fixed two of them yesterday. You can pull it out and look at the output capacitors. Sometime they look fine, other time you can clearly see they are bulged and leaky.
However, the main reason the PS won't start are two small caps buried near the daughter board. They are both 100 uF/35V.
Replacing those will bring the PS on, no matter in what state are the output caps.
Adi

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2018 10:43 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian. do you recall which version of the power supply you repaired? There is the initial black Lambda, Integrated power and one other brand that is not coming to mind at the moment.

Thanks.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-31-2018 01:26 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've pulled the power supply. No sign of ruptured or swollen caps (checked with a magnifying glass). Have a used PS coming from the company doing our hearing assistance install.
So, we're down at least until Tuesday.
The frustratingly ironic part is we were closed all of March to put in new seats. Friday was supposed to be our grand reopening. TV cameras were here for the failure! I had booted up on Wednesday and everything was fine.
Since we can't talk about religion I won't make a Good Friday/Easter joke [Wink]

Local News Coverage

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2018 01:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Yes, the model I fixed so far is AM-120U-T133-171 from Power Solution Inc.
I know some CP650's are also equipped with a different PS (can't recall the model now). I have not seen any faults on them either (some have 10+ years of run).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2018 04:12 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Power Solutions was the last version in the 650. Integrated Power was second and Llamda was the first. They all failed more than they should.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-31-2018 05:29 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sure sucks the joy out of the grand re-opening.

A friend of mine lost his rectifier for the first night of Jurassic Park, back in the day....

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2018 09:36 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Equipment have a tendency to make their failures apparent after periods of staying idle.
Power supply units dwell on that habit.

Having the premiere gone bad the only day of year that cinemas (and entertainment societies) were accustomed to be closed, though, is a memorable twist. Even knowing that when failures happen, they happen so in each and every day.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2018 02:51 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several on eBay right now, the lowest priced of which are $750 and $770, but of course, it's always a risk buying on eBay, although both sellers have 100% feedback rating.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-03-2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, got a used supply. It is actually older than the one I took out.
Checked the caps and they looked ok.
The first time I turned it on, the display panel lit up, the fan worked, and the format button defaulted to U2. But no boot up.
Turned off all of the power and tried again. Booted up fine. Ran some trailers and a bit of feature and it sounded fine. Shut everything down.
Went back up a few hours later and the same thing happened. Had to be started twice.
Are these the symptoms of a PS going bad, or do I have another bug in the machine.
Leaving it powered on for now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: