Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Minimum Equipments needed for a 50 Seater Cinema

Author Topic: Minimum Equipments needed for a 50 Seater Cinema
Anurag Chourasia
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2018 11:36 PM      Profile for Anurag Chourasia   Email Anurag Chourasia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking to start a 50 Seater cinema in my town. Appreciate some guidance regarding the minimum projection infrastructure that I will need. Do i need a IMB? Or a Projector alone? What about a server? Could someone help me with the bare minimum so that i could start working out the cost and the option to acquire used equipment. Thanks for your guidance.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-24-2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, you need a server, and a projector. Some manufacturers integrate server and projector, some keep them as separate units. It is not relevant for your cinema operation which of these methods/devices you choose. A (playback) server is always needed/used, even if you can't discern it from the projector as a separate device.

In many parts of the world, a Barco DP2K-6E or NEC NC900 (superseeded by the NEC NC1000) is the lowest cost entry into projectors for small auditoriums. Christie seems to have outphased their solaria one projector, and I don't know how their 2208 or 2308 compete pricewise.

You need to contact local dealers/integrators, or companies from abroad serving your country and request quotes to find out about the pricing in your area.

Buying second hand gear is another option, but you need to be careful to not end up with something that can not be serviced or supplied with spare parts anymore. I suggest, if you receive offers, to inquire on this forum wether they can be recommended, as for a start-up, it can be difficult to judge.

When buying a projector, you also need to to think about 3D or not-3D, as that has implications on projector type (brightness).

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-24-2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there's the matter of sound and screen. So many choices. Starting with a perforated screen, the speakers behind the screen, a certain number of speakers and amplifiers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2018 12:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is your drawing area (Population)? Will 50 seats be enough to handle the crowds you will attract?

Also, consider the grossing potential. If you can only accommodate 50 people (which will in reality be more like 40, because at that point people will come back out saying "It's full, can I have my money back?") Is 40 tickets' worth of money (and concessions) enough to sustain your expenses?

Keep in mind you won't get that many every night. Last Tuesday we only had 3 people in the building.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2018 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a customer that has a 30 seater and a 112 seater in Idaho. His customers actually really like them. $ regular sized theaters are upstairs.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-26-2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides a projector and a server you also obviously need:

- A properly sized room, which isn't as plausible as it seems, since it takes quite some design considerations to get the geometry of a properly designed cinema just right.
- A sound system consisting at the least of a sound processor, a bunch of amplifiers (the amount of amplifiers depends on the amount and type of speakers and weather or not you're doing active v.s. passive crossovers) and, of course, speakers. To do a bare minimum setup for 5.1 you need three stage speakers, a sub woofer and two surround speakers, but preferably more.
- A properly perforated screen which should be properly masked, preferably with movable masking, but that's the thing that gets taken off the list first nowadays...
- A bunch of seats. You could try to start with second hand, refurbished cinema seats, but make sure you get a batch originating from at least the same cinema.

Disclaimer: Above list is totally incomplete.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: