Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco L Series software update - can now be used with GDC SX4000, Dolby & Doremi IMBs

Author Topic: Barco L Series software update - can now be used with GDC SX4000, Dolby & Doremi IMBs
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2018 09:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update to version 1.5.0 just announced. Big news from the release notes is that L-series projectors can now be used with GDC SX-4000, Dolby and Doremi IMBs - you don't have to have an Alchemy in them.

I have one site in particular that has a spare DSS200 and cat745, and the projectionists have never liked the Alchemy. They will likely be very excited by this news.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2018 12:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its about time. This will radically make their L series machines more attractive to more people. Being forced into a specific IMB/IMS is a huge mistake.

Now if only Barco can maybe move their website to a server NOT connected to a late 90's AOL dialup line. [Roll Eyes]

Do you have a direct download link to the release notes. I'm logged into the secure site and after spending about 10 minutes trying to navigate to the proper section, when I click on release notes it just takes me to a page to download the software and tells me "The Full release note is available on the secured Barco website" (which of course I am already on!) Even if you just type in "release notes" in the overall site search it turns up with 3 links from 2004. Good projectors but an amazingly horrible website design.

Edit - I was about to give up on this and finally found if you click on a projector such as the DP4K-60L and then go to the manuals and documentation page of that projector, then sort by date and look for the latest file for release notes on software version, you are presented with the release notes for version 1.4.4 dated March 4, 2018 (which is the same date as the version 1.5.0.0 release).

Downloading that file gives you a filename that specifically is titled as version 1.4.4, but on the top of the release note it states it is release notes for version 1.5.0.11, but dated February 30, 2017.

Geez!!! Who is sleeping on the job in Belgium? Somebody needs to step in and fix this mess.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are way too busy making and eating strudel to stop and deal with insignificant stuff like this!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a direct link to the release notes, but it asks you for your MyBarco login before letting you at it, and so I'm guessing that it goes to the same 14.4k dialup modem with crumbs of Flemish stroopwafel all over it.

Will email the PDF to you.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2018 08:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually used to be better. A while ago, the support page for a specific product listed all available files organized in categories like manuals, bulletins, software, etc. Now you're only offered one category at a time and need to guess where to find a specific file...

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-10-2018 10:32 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they keep changing the filename format to make finding a certain locally saved one plenty of fun.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-10-2018 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You used to also be greeted with what has changed recently across all categories (in case you missed your email alert). Then again, the other DLP companies don't tell you anything by way of announcement.

But yes, definitely, Barco seems to have gone out of its way to make their site worse, slower, harder to get to what you want. They don't seem to get that technicians want something that is lean and fast to get to what they need and can dispense with the glitz. They also trip over themselves now. For quite a while, the downloads negated the NAME of the thing you were downloading and only had the "R" number. You can read about the ICP update/recover program but good luck actually finding the package.

I preferred it better when the tech site was completely separate than to have it all convolved into one massive site that hides portion based on your access level. I can understand why having a uniform site would be easier on them but it is God awful sloooow.

I'm no fan of Christie's either. Still too slow to get to what you want though faster than Barco's. NEC's Partner site is the best (fast and to the point), at the moment but their update frequency is poor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: