Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP-o-Matic and Barco Alchemy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCP-o-Matic and Barco Alchemy
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was mentioned recently in another thread (just tried to find it but can't - sorry), that there is a known bug in the post-2.10.5 beta versions of DCP-o-Matic, whereby a DCP made with it and ingested into a Barco Alchemy causes the Alchemy to crash (you press play, nothing happens, and then the Alchemy has to be rebooted). I also seem to remember Carl or Carsten saying that a fix was imminent.

Is this fixed in the current beta, 2.11.70? I ask, because someone has asked me to make a 4K DCP from DPX frames, simulating a frame rate of 17fps, and with subtitled translations of silent movie intertitles (which is a pain in the bum to do using Premiere Pro with Cute DCP, which is the other DCP-making package I have), which will specifically be for playback on an Alchemy. I note in the list of improvements and fixes that there are several relevant ones to 4K and DPX rendering, but if there is any risk of this glitch happening, then obviously I need either to use 10.0.5, or to go the Premiere route.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 11:59 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leo, that specific openjpeg glitch caused problems on both Barco and Dolby servers.

It came up with 2.11.23 and left us with 2.11.34, so, 2.11.70 is fine as far as that goes. The mentioned 4k issue was just a formal one and is solved as well, DPX seems to work fine as well, there were some issues with misinterpretation of log/film gamma. I think there has been no full testing on all DPX variants since then, but if the DPX export is not too exotic, it should come out ok. As DPX are single image files, it's easy to do a quick still test with just one image showing bright and dark content.

Carl was working like mad since new years eve to get many bugs fixed and features added, as you can see he is on build .70 in the 2.11. test branch. He hopes to transition to 2.12 stable soon.

Please, anyone using the software, go to https://dcpomatic.com/donate and donate some money. The higher the number of donating people, the smaller the amount will be sufficient to keep it going. Carl has a family now to support. The new DCP export functions and self-contained fully functional DCP test player (audio, 4k, subtitles, OV/VF capable) are great new features, worth paying for again.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for confirmation; donation made.

As this is for a one-off show in a specific venue, ordinarily I could just do a re-render using an earlier version, or the Premiere/Cute route; but on this occasion, she's not going to be able to get me the source files until very close to showtime, so I'm probably only going to get one shot at it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2018 04:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that I've created DCP content using 2.09 and no problems using my Alchemy.

Wonder what happened then..

But, good to know an update is coming on and I plan on doing a donation for this great software.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2018 07:36 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten wrote that the problem was identified in 2.11.23, and fixed in 2.11.34, so 2.09 should be unaffected.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2018 08:36 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I curious, once you convert the content using DCP-o-Matic, can you just copy it to a USB drive? I see another program that only specializes in checking the integrity, and then "properly" putting it on a USB drive. Its really expensive, so I was looking around to see if something like that was even needed?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2018 10:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you've created a DCP, using DCP-o-Matic or any other program, you have a number of options for ingesting it into your DCP server or TMS.

Almost all will accept ingestion via IP using FTP. If you want to use physical media, the two most commonly used forms are a hard drive in a CRU DX115 cartridge, or a USB hard drive or flash memory stick. In order to ensure that the DCP server will be able to read your drive, it should ideally be partitioned and formatted in compliance with the ISDCF specifications (MBR partition table, one single content partition occupying the entire drive, formatted as ext2 or ext3 and with an inode size of 128 bytes, and the DCP files in the top level folder or one down). To complicate matters, some servers and TMS systems will accept drives that are formatted in ways that are commonly used on personal computers (principally NTFS and HFS+), but aren't strictly "legal" for DCP distribution drives. If you try to ingest such a drive into any given server, you may get lucky, but there are no guarantees.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2018 07:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the official recommendation is to use ext2 or ext3 discs, FAT32 or NTFS will work on all servers. At least so far I have never heard of a server rejecting NTFS. As long as you do this just for your own server/circuit, use what works for you. I came across rare issues with NTFS, but in the end, it turned out it was actually not NTFS, but the disc being partitioned with GPT/GUID. It needs to be MBR, single partition. Major operating systems nowadays default to using GPT/GUID when initializing discs, so, in general you have to reinit them using MBR. USB sticks will be MBR out of the box. FAT32 has a single file limit of 4GB, which you could run into with a short film. However, DCP-o-matic has an option to split reels to specific sizes if needed, and if you select 2 or 4 GB per reel, that will allow you to use FAT32 also for longer pieces. But in general, NTFS is okay.

Just don't start a professional dcp duplication service based on NTFS...

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-10-2018 10:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, Windows (up to and including 10) still uses MBR by default if the drive is 2TB or smaller. So if you hook such a drive to a Windows computer, and simply tell it to format it as NTFS via Windows Explorer, it should create a drive that will be legible to a DCP server that can read NTFS.

However, if the drive already has a GPT partition table, I suspect that Windows won't touch it, and will just reformat the partition. Using the Disk Management utility (enter diskmgmt.msc from a command prompt), though, you can force Windows to create an MBR partition table. I don't think Mac OS can at all, but I could be wrong on this.

If you are creating DCP distribution drives and need to have confidence that they will be legible in any server, a desktop Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu or CentOS), and PartEd and mke2fs command lines is, IMHO, the best way to go. I don't know of any utility with a GUI that will enable you to create a totally ISDCF-compliant drive in one or two easy steps. GPartEd almost will, but it will only use an inode size of 256 bytes: there is no way of changing that.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Mac OS X versions have a GUI option to choose MBR when initializing a disc in disc manager, there are three options: Apple partition table (PowerPC boot), MBR, GUID/GPT (Intel boot).

- Carsten

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2018 08:54 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...is a separate program needed to copy everything over to a flash drive? If I format it correctly, can I just copy it over to flash and it should be ok?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2018 01:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my DCP created files are tranferred to a FAT32 thumbdrive, which we ingest into our LMS for the TMS to push to the assigned projectors.

Never had issues, but have to remember to have the audio at -10 prior to conversion.

I have two directories in my computer to work with this DCP program:
A directory named Video and a directory named DCP.

In the program preferences, i assign the completed file to be saved in the DCP directory. I copy my videos in the video directory.

I click New, give the new DCP a name and save that in the DCP directory.

Then, in the open file tab,I open up the video. I preview it in the pane to the right, then pause it.

I go in the video preferences and select the container I want this video to be converted in, which usually is the FLAT container, yet I've done 16.9 containers.

I go to the audio and set the audio to -10,for you don't want 0.0, for you'll just might blow the speakers out.

When all set, I hit the create DCP job and wait a few hours.

When done, I go to the DCP directory, find the created DCP, open that directory, find the actual directory that is part of the CPL Naming String and copy that directory to the thumbdrive for ingest.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-11-2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Todd Cornwall
So...is a separate program needed to copy everything over to a flash drive? If I format it correctly, can I just copy it over to flash and it should be ok?

Simple file/folder copying is okay. You only need to copy the single DCP folder that DCP-o-matic creates within the project folder, per default it will read something like <myfilmname>_-1_F_... etc depending on your ISDCF/DCNC naming settings. Forget about all the other files/folders in the project directory (like video, analysis, etc.). These are DCP-o-matic related files and are not part of the actual dcp. After the DCP has been created, choose 'Show DCP' from the 'Jobs' DropDown menu - it will open explorer/finder with exactly that dcp folder being selected, so just CTRL-C/-P or drag to destination drive.
Per default, DCP-o-matic will place project folder and the dcp within into your user directory, but you can relocate that standard path to anywhere else either on case-by-case, or by setting it in prefs.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-11-2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very useful feature to have on DCP-o-Matic (or any other DCP authoring package, for that matter) would be a one-click "create distribution media" button. It would automatically partition and format the drive per ISDCF specs, then copy the DCP files into its top level folder, then dismount it.

For the Linux versions, this would be pretty easy to program, I'd have thought: the program would simply send the operating system a few command lines. It would be much more of a science project for the Windows and Mac versions, and I'm guessing that Carl would be reluctant to go down a road that leads to the package version for some operating systems having features that the one for others does not.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-11-2018 05:44 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl is thinking about that for a long time - unfortunately, partitioning and formatting an ext2/ext3 drive needs raw access to the drive, and that should work on all supported platforms (well maybe you wouldn't need it for the Linux distributions). I guess it will come one day when Carl has found a safe way to do it - you don't want any existing drive to be touched by such a function, so it has to be absolutely idiot proof. Now think about the Linux method of accessing drives using the dev/sdx and mountpoint schemes...

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: